Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 11:47 PM

Marin County Crowds?

It’s been decades since I’ve spent any time in Marin. I’m taking my family on a California road trip and we’ll be passing through Saturday. How crowded are the Golden Gate Bridge scenic overlooks apt to be Saturday mid-day? Also thinking of heading out towards Rodeo Beach and the Point Bonita area. Am I a fool for thinking that I might find a parking spot?
Old 04-16-2021, 12:05 AM

It'll be a crap shoot after 10am - I'd really try and get there as early as you can.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:08 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4_Ford View Post
It’s been decades since I’ve spent any time in Marin. I’m taking my family on a California road trip and we’ll be passing through Saturday. How crowded are the Golden Gate Bridge scenic overlooks apt to be Saturday mid-day? Also thinking of heading out towards Rodeo Beach and the Point Bonita area. Am I a fool for thinking that I might find a parking spot?
It’s a madhouse there on Saturday. Especially since the pandemic, when it’s been one of the few safe things for people to do. They also re-routed the traffic to require cars to use the one way tunnel to access the overlook. I recommend avoiding the whole area.

Rodeo Beach might be a bit better, but you will still have to suffer through the traffic jam on the way through the tunnel.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
It’s a madhouse there on Saturday. Especially since the pandemic, when it’s been one of the few safe things for people to do. They also re-routed the traffic to require cars to use the one way tunnel to access the overlook. I recommend avoiding the whole area.

Rodeo Beach might be a bit better, but you will still have to suffer through the traffic jam on the way through the tunnel.

Thanks for letting me know what to expect. At least now I’ll be prepared. Now it makes sense why Google maps routes you through the tunnel. I didn’t think it would be as serene as it was 35 years ago. Hopefully Sunday in Santa Cruz will be a bit less crowded. Might just roll on down to La Selva Beach.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayku View Post
It'll be a crap shoot after 10am - I'd really try and get there as early as you can.

I’ll be driving down from Redding so I don’t see us making it there that early. My kids aren’t exactly morning creatures.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Drive down the Hill to Fort Baker underneath the GG Bridge North tower. Plenty of parking space; get out, ramble, and see the sights.

(Do not drive-through Sausalito. Take the last exit before going on the bridge.)

(Stating the obvious: Google the traffic as you get closer. If Bunker Road is busy use East Road.)

Last edited by Hindmost; 04-16-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM

Crowds

Marin county parks and parking areas near trailheads will be stupid crowded. Same for beaches and beach parking.

I have seen it where there is a line of cars a mile up Panoramic Highway waiting to get into Stinson Beach with no parking for them once they get there.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:37 AM
cnighbor2

yes parking a hassle

but there is always someone going in or out
Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM

As others have said, after 10am it’s a crap shoot. I would suggest getting to Rodeo no later than 9am or any beach or trailhead that is popular.

Last edited by joosttx; 04-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Vendor

It's gonna be real tough if you don't get there before 10AM - and the sooner the better. If you do happen to make it through the tunnel and the parking lot at Rodeo beach is full, you can try driving over to the Marine Mammal Center and parking there.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:27 PM

I would second going to Fort Baker and walking up to the overlooks. You could also try parking in the parking lot on the east side of the bridge.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:44 PM
LateStart

Cavallo Point for Lunch.

Perfect spot, lots of parking and space to walk around. If kids are young, Bay Area discovery museum.

https://www.cavallopoint.com/?utm_so...m_campaign=gmb
Old 04-16-2021, 05:42 PM

Midday on a weekend? Folks here are speaking truth. And anyone who's not experienced it in recent years - not to mention during COVID - is regrettably way out of date. If the scene over there at midday on a weekend twenty years ago was a 7 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of crowds and related hassles, it's now a 21, anyway. To make matters worse, this weekend's weather is supposed to be extra-inviting.

Unless you're on a bike or are okay with sitting in serious, standing traffic (as others have said, yes, sometimes miles of it), for the love of God stay away from the southern Marin coastline on the weekend. Granted, I'm likely a special case as I'm one to avoid crowds generally, but personally I wouldn't subject myself or loved ones to being stuck in the car like that for all the tea in China. Maybe it's my rural roots or - alternatively - having commuted for years on the subway in Tokyo, but nein, danke, no más.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM

I just hiked the coastal trail from the Mt Tam, Pantoll Ranger station last Friday, and arriving around 11:30am there was still parking available, don't know how much more crowded it is on Saturday (last Friday was gorgeous sunny weather FWIW). I would highly recommend the hike right now as wildflowers are still near peak, especially purple Lupines and orange poppies and this is one of the best Bay Area hikes for spring flowers (East Bay/Diablo is past peak now but coastal is still great). For some reason, the coastal trail from the Ranger station, which is mostly open meadows with constant views and flowers, was very sparse with people while the backside, cataract trail part of the loop in the trees was crowded (why be in the trees during wildflower season???). So we skipped the cataract trail return route and doubled back on the coastal in both directions and it was an awesome day with glorious flowers and ocean/city views, and the hiking is fairly easy and kid-friendly.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...-old-mine-loop

Last edited by zennmotion; 04-16-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:48 PM

I lucked out today. We got to Ft. Baker a little after 12:00. Poked around there and then went up the hill to Rodeo Beach. 3 minute wait at the tunnel and then easy cruising. Toured the Nike Missile site with my sons, even got to go down in the bunker. Took the scenic drive back and had no trouble finding parking at the viewpoints. It was so good to come back after 35 years. So many fond memories of the area and my family loved seeing it for the first time.