Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Supposedly costing $400M per hour.
Not quite. That's the value of goods passing through per hour. Now, if the ships decided to dump their cargo instead of waiting, then that would be the cost.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:31 PM

an opportunity

rename the ship, "Austin Powers"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tenor.jpg (7.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 03-25-2021, 08:37 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
rename the ship, "Austin Powers"
they did this on twitter. photoshopped the boat on the side of it and set to motion. funny as hell.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:39 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
And this is how they are going about to fix the situation:
The protuberance on the bow of the ship was fully buried, so they couldn't rotate the ship without doing structural damage. Don't want that, and it needs to rotate to get out.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Not quite. That's the value of goods passing through per hour. Now, if the ships decided to dump their cargo instead of waiting, then that would be the cost.
this is right...did not type with that clarity
Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
What's crazy is that's literally what Bezos makes in a day in a half.

(Sorry, every time I see a container ship and $$ in the same sentence I think Amazon)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:59 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
What's crazy is that's literally what Bezos makes in a day in a half.

(Sorry, every time I see a container ship and $$ in the same sentence I think Amazon)
well he aint making it right meow - those containers are probably his, and all em stacked up behind it too
Old 03-26-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I dunno, shipping was $78, certainly wasn't the cheapset option.

My post was tongue in cheek but I see that I should have put a smiley or banana at the end.
Ah, I was just joking. I should have put a smiley or banana at the end of my post as well. I'm sorry if that didn't come through.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:44 AM

Some interesting anecdotes about the Suez are being dug up, this one’s a diary entry from a couple transiting the canal in a private sailboat in 2003.
http://www.sailsafely.com/suez_canal.htm
Old 03-26-2021, 05:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
That thing is 1/4 mile long. Hard to comprehend a ship that huge when I think about how far down the road it would go if the stern was in front of my house.
100,000 TONS heavier and 300 FEET longer than this. USS Gerald Ford, CVN-78.

Container ship-with 20,000 containers..it's big..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:32 AM

10000 containers of future land fill, blocking 100000 containers of the same.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleznathan View Post
Some interesting anecdotes about the Suez are being dug up, this one’s a diary entry from a couple transiting the canal in a private sailboat in 2003.
http://www.sailsafely.com/suez_canal.htm
That's a very interesting/entertaining read. The process of going through there with all the bureaucratic red tape/payoffs/bribes seems like a royal PITA to me. The scary thing is that in some of these situations you are completely at the mercy of some, let's say, nefarious characters with no bail-out if the situation deteriorates. Not something I want to experience on a "vacation". But for that part of the world, it's probably business as usual, and appears they knew what they were getting into.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
That's a very interesting/entertaining read. The process of going through there with all the bureaucratic red tape/payoffs/bribes seems like a royal PITA to me. The scary thing is that in some of these situations you are completely at the mercy of some, let's say, nefarious characters with no bail-out if the situation deteriorates. Not something I want to experience on a "vacation". But for that part of the world, it's probably business as usual, and appears they knew what they were getting into.
During the late 1980s and early 1990s, I flew many trips to South and Central America in private jets. These were all legitimate business trips supporting my employers and Fortune 500 companies, NOT narco trips... We used to bring thousands of dollars in cash to pay for fuel (many places didn't take credit cards in that era) and "incidentals." The incidentals were nearly always tips to local officials and service providers to make sure necessary documentation and services were done as needed. If you wanted your customs declarations stamped, security personnel to protect the aircraft, catering delivered on time, etc..., lots of $20 dollar bills (and beer from the aircraft's supply) were needed to facilitate services. It's no exaggeration to tell you that three very large security guards, carrying military rifles, completely surrounding you, and mere inches away can make a very persuasive case for gracious tipping...

Greg
Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
During the late 1980s and early 1990s, I flew many trips to South and Central America in private jets. These were all legitimate business trips supporting my employers and Fortune 500 companies, NOT narco trips... We used to bring thousands of dollars in cash to pay for fuel (many places didn't take credit cards in that era) and "incidentals." The incidentals were nearly always tips to local officials and service providers to make sure necessary documentation and services were done as needed. If you wanted your customs declarations stamped, security personnel to protect the aircraft, catering delivered on time, etc..., lots of $20 dollar bills (and beer from the aircraft's supply) were needed to facilitate services. It's no exaggeration to tell you that three very large security guards, carrying military rifles, completely surrounding you, and mere inches away can make a very persuasive case for gracious tipping...

Greg
How do ethical companies actually survive? My company is extremely ethical, and anything above grounds for immediate firing.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
How do ethical companies actually survive? My company is extremely ethical, and anything above grounds for immediate firing.
I'm not sure there's a choice in some countries. So, either you pay to play, or not do business there.