Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM

I met this guy yesterday.

Gary Taylor from Ipswich, UK. https://www.gearsweneveruse.com/stats

He has been biking for a year and a half, currently at 29,000 kms. He was full of amazing stories...but being a gear head, the thing that impressed me most was his front tire! He was still running his original Schwalbe tire! The blue belt was showing through in about 20 spots, but he was still planning on using it to get to NYC. Amazing!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Warmshowers

My wife and I have met some incredible-journey cyclists by hosting other cyclists through warmshowers.org. One guy was on his way home to AK after riding AK, Canada, US, Central/South America for 2.5 years. Another guy was on a 365 day pedal-only birding trip, circumnavigating the U.S. Another guy riding from Prudhoe Bay to the southern tip of South America, raising money for children's charities and distributing along the way. i think that was a 20 month trip. And many other more "normal" bike tourists. All good.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM

That's definitely impressive, but also pretty stupid to keep riding tires that worn. It would suck for him to never make it to his final destination because he's rehabbing after a blowout on a fast descent.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
That's definitely impressive, but also pretty stupid to keep riding tires that worn. It would suck for him to never make it to his final destination because he's rehabbing after a blowout on a fast descent.
According to his website, he has spent more on liquor (695.42) versus equipment (611.66) thus far. This would not be possible if he was just going around buying new tires willy nilly...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
According to his website, he has spent more on liquor (695.42) versus equipment (611.66) thus far. This would not be possible if he was just going around buying new tires willy nilly...
Someone please link to the tarckbike thread about the great american fixie tour
Old 09-19-2016, 01:26 PM

There are people making incredible trips by bicycle. I met a French tourist last year who after crossing the USA and Mexico, was headed to NZ, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, India, and Madagascar. I may have left a couple of countries out. This year I met a Belgian lady who started on the east coast, was headed to Yellowstone, then to Colombia via Baja. Not sure how she plans to get into Colombia, as the road seem to end in Panama.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
Can't find it but are these guys, must be great to just ride, independently wealthy? They seem have no visible means of support.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Can't find it but are these guys, must be great to just ride, independently wealthy? They seem have no visible means of support.
I think he had a whack of money saved up to buy a house, and then his lady friend left him. So this is his down payment.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 AM

Amazing. I envy those who are able to take these type's of excursions. I'm definitely not able to take that kind of time off due to school and work. Definitely is on my bucket list though!