Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Torque for Fizik carbon rails?

Having a problem with my Antares carbon railed saddle slipping back. I've been using a torque wrench & going with 5nm, which appears to be way too low. Online I find that Fizik suggests 18nm. Does that sound right? Seems high, but I can't find anything that says otherwise. Not sure why I have 5nm in my head.
Also, I'm using a Ritchey tool that gives at 5nm. Anyone know of something similar for 18nm?
Old 09-19-2021, 10:43 AM

I suspect the Fizik torque rating is MAX not suggested torque (as with nearly every other torque rating stamped on most bike parts). Specifically, Fizik does not know what type of seatpost/clamp u r mating ur seat with thus the MAX, not suggested rating. U did not share what type of seatpost u r using and whether u have a horizontal of vertical loaded clamp. 5Nm is certainly not going to be enuf for either type of clamp. I would suggest getting a good torque wrench and starting between 8-10 Nm, testing purchase, and then in SMALL increments, moving up from there. As an example, I use a Ritchey carbon seatpost with two bolt vertical clamp mechanism mated to Bontrager carbon rails, and I torque bolts to 10Nm (the bolts on seatpost clamp are rated to 16Nm MAX). Most side loaded/horizontal single bolt clamp mechanisms will require a bit MORE torque…but again, the amount of torque is dependent on the mating of the parts. Also, most carbon rails saddles will have a max torque of between 10-13 Nm.

Last edited by lhuerta; 09-19-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:53 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I cringe when i see a carbon saddle with certain rail clamps. I opt for most surface contact especially on carbon rails.

The USE type i never cared for personally.. The Syntace P6 type is my fav, race face uses a very similar type as do others. Point being which speads load out best on carbon rails?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210919-085043.jpg (25.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg resources.jpg (46.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by robt57; 09-19-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:02 AM

What type of seatpost?

I'd be suspect of 18 nm, it shouldn't take that much. I have 3 Antares carbon railed saddles and they are pretty grippy with whatever they wrap around that middle section. Not all saddle clamps are created equal but I'd say mine are mostly tightened at 5 nm and I'd be suspect of anything requiring over 8nm.

But I don't think I've ever had the rails slip. I've had the tilt of a seatpost head move, the seatpost itself but with those big rails and the wrap the clamps usually hold well.

Is the head/clamp of your seatpost compatible with the Fizik rails? Not all are and the ones that aren't usually don't make full contact with the rails.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:03 AM

I have found that for carbon rails, the Nm depends on the type of seatpost.
For the Bontrager type seatpost clamp shown below, I have used 16 Nm. Clamping at 5 Nm with carbon rails and the Bontrager seatpost did not work.

But for the PMP type clamp shown below, I have used 5 Nm (was told not use use more than 6-7 Nm), with carbon rails, and it worked fine.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:27 PM

I'd try about 7-8Nm and add some assembly compound on the clamping surfaces (eg. Park SAC-2)
Old 09-19-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Having a problem with my Antares carbon railed saddle slipping back. I've been using a torque wrench & going with 5nm, which appears to be way too low. Online I find that Fizik suggests 18nm. Does that sound right? Seems high, but I can't find anything that says otherwise. Not sure why I have 5nm in my head.
Also, I'm using a Ritchey tool that gives at 5nm. Anyone know of something similar for 18nm?
Which seat post? 5nm never gonna work IMO

I've had and currently have posts that are in the 14-18nm range.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I cringe when i see a carbon saddle with certain rail clamps. I opt for most surface contact especially on carbon rails.

The USE type i never cared for personally.. The Syntace P6 type is my fav, race face uses a very similar type as do others. Point being which speads load out best on carbon rails?
The right post looks like what mine is.
To answer the obvious that I should have mentioned first, Deda Superleggro. I've had it for years, my last saddle slipped and eventually broke. Replaced it AND the mounting hardware for the post. This issue is with the new stuff.
I looked for some sort of guidance for torqueing the rails, but could only find something for post itself.

Last edited by makoti; 09-19-2021 at 02:10 PM.