Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM

Zipp Cassette Body Tweaking

I know I've seen posts regarding trimming cassette bodies to fit 11 speed cassettes on to older 10 speed bodies, but can't seem to find through search. I have an older pair of Zipp 404's in excellent condition, but the hub body will not accept the new 11 speed cassette (per Zipp). I have seen 11 speed cassettes for sale that have been milled/machined and work, but at $140 a pop for a cassette that will wear, doesn't seem logical if I can score to cassette bodies at X$ and turn them down.

Those of you in the know, what would the amount of material to be trimmed down? .005? .010? .10? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:58 AM

I've done this on a number of cassettes with my lathe. The spacing from the 10spd to 11spd is 1.85mm difference. So I take that off the backside of the largest carrier. There is a 1.85mm spacer often included with hubs/wheels for using 10spd cassettes on an 11spd freehub. I use that as a guide and make sure it sits flush on the backside of the cassette body after turning it down.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
I know I've seen posts regarding trimming cassette bodies to fit 11 speed cassettes on to older 10 speed bodies, but can't seem to find through search. I have an older pair of Zipp 404's in excellent condition, but the hub body will not accept the new 11 speed cassette (per Zipp). I have seen 11 speed cassettes for sale that have been milled/machined and work, but at $140 a pop for a cassette that will wear, doesn't seem logical if I can score to cassette bodies at X$ and turn them down.

Those of you in the know, what would the amount of material to be trimmed down? .005? .010? .10? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Last I looked, Zipp hubs were crap. ...last I looked was last week.

Your best option is to re-hub the wheel with something nicer. /problem I've used Bitex, DT Swiss, and White Industries hubs.

BTDT on 3 rear wheels now: 303 tubular, 404 clincher, and a 101

Fix it right and fix it once

M
Old 03-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post

Thank you in advance.

Hi
I’ve done at least 10 cassettes All ultegra and 105. 1.85 mm.
Actually most were around 2 mm always wanted to be able to put a small
Shim behind too keep shifting the same between wheel sets.
Remember two things make the circle bigger than needed and the teeth
need to be 25s or bigger all of mine and friends have been 32s
The reason for the big ring is for rear derailure Clearance.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM

I'll agree that solving this problem on the cassette side is the 2nd place option. I've modified a couple of freehubs for Shimano and DT hubs for 11spd cassettes. You could probably do this with a file if you really wanted to. The biggest thing is to check the clearances of the cassette on the spokes and drive side flange. It's going to get pretty close but if you're running a 25 or bigger it will probably be ok.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 03-29-2020, 02:19 PM

Thnx FriarQuade, Gummee, and 8Aaron8. Cassettes. being run would be between 25-30T for low gear, so no issues foreseen there. I know the spacer width is technically the ticket for material removal, but wasn't sure if there was any "slush" on number due to actual cassette depth and body measurement. Forge ahead then..........