Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 07:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

RGT indoor app - zwift competitor

I have talked about how I am not a huge fan of zwift. To start it looks like crap, graphics from 2001 which it would be fine for $4.99 but at $14.99 I think we should expect more. I also think there is not enough stuff on it and I just tried it again after years off and it looks and feels exactly the same (have they been working on it?)

Just came across RGT and it looks pretty cool. From a quick look it looks better than zwift, not as cartoony. I think a lot of people in it are still bots since its new and they don't have enough people but it looks very promising and could be a competitor to Zwift. They have a bunch of real courses (which I think zwift needs more, most people don't want to ride in glass sky bridges above nyc). They also let you create courses based on your own rides (.gxp) so you could technically prepare for races or rides. And all the premium features are free right now during COVID.

I might give it a try sometime this week. I think its good for zwift to have some competition, it will just make the app better.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

Was going to post similar thoughts. Hopefully it’ll push developers to produce a better end product for us users.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:34 PM
Shrimp123

i was gonna try this, but, it needs ios 13? maaan is my ipad already outdated?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:46 PM
PegoNagos

I just broke down and bought my first smart trainer (here on the classifieds) just in case they shut down the roads here in NorCal.

Zwift doesn't appeal to me since I have no desire to ride hard right now - this one looks like it could be cool to just ride some routes.

Another that I have briefly looked at is fulgaz.com

Once the trainer arrives I will give them a try.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:48 PM

I tried it and it was nice but it is kind of empty.

I couldn't run it from my Android phone but Zwift can. I had to run it from my PC.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Zwift underwater glass tunnels, arctic conditions immediately followed by tropical rainforests, exploding volcanoes, and flying dinosaurs grows tiresome. They should expend less effort towards that fantasy stuff and more towards features that help the rider track training information. Introduce graphics of real places.

Will go visit RGT to see what it is about.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

I just downloaded it. Already gets a point off for me for needing a phone to work? why can't I just use the software on my desktop? why do I need to connect my phone? That is very strange that the phone seems to be doing the connection but the software is on the pc?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:16 PM

What happens when you get to the end of a route in RGT? Do you loop back to the beginning & do it again? Or have to fiddle around & pick a new route, if you want to ride longer?

I've used Zwift for 3 years, now. The last two off-seasons exclusively. It's a training tool. Something to take your mind off the fact you're sitting in your basement. I can build workouts exactly how I want them & pick what routes I look at. And things change. One time through, I'll see a bear. Won't be there next time. Get passed by people from all over. It rains. People from 2001 walk along the streets. It's enough to distract from the mind numbing monotony of indoor riding. I'd love to ride on actual courses, but not if it means messing with the computer to find a new route halfway through the workout.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
What happens when you get to the end of a route in RGT? Do you loop back to the beginning & do it again? Or have to fiddle around & pick a new route, if you want to ride longer?
I rode the Pollensa to Cap Formentor route a couple of days ago. Once I arrived at the parking lot at end of the route I kept riding and the video turned me around and I was headed back towards Pollensa. I rode a couple more miles in that direction. I don't know if this is true of the other routes on RGT.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 03:23 PM

Rouvy

While I have not tried RGT, I have been using Rouvy for a few years now.
They have hundreds of courses from all around the world, so it's pretty cool to choose some nice location and ride there.
They are also starting to have some group rides and races, but those things are light years behind Zwift.
But if you just want to ride cool courses and don't care about the group rides/racing aspect then it is a very good platform.
And better yet the ios version is in Beta and is 100% free (for now).
Definitely worth a look.

Seems like heir marketing is terrible because no one I talk to seems to have heard of it
Old 03-29-2020, 03:31 PM

I was just reading about RGT on dcrainmaker. It has some appeal. As an avid zwift user I have to say that all of these are just tools to distract you in your basement. You are riding a bike no where . I use an Apple TV to run zwift. If anything else is more complicated than that I am automatically out. The Apple TV makes zwift silly simple. But I am tempted to try FulGaz or Bkool. The problem I have is they are all over priced and I can’t see paying for more than one right now. The weather is turning on the east coast and I want to get out more. I haven’t been riding outside but I have been running more. I used zwift 4 times this week. Maybe FulGaz will get a try soon if they have a free trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I tried it and it was nice but it is kind of empty.

I couldn't run it from my Android phone but Zwift can. I had to run it from my PC.
I have it running on my a Samsung S10 and use an iPad fo see the course.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM
ergottWheels

All the talk of Zwift not being realistic with their graphics is forgetting a huge problem. What about people? Do you really want to see realistic versions of ourselves in game? Sure you can ride in first person, but what about looking at other riders? The whole point of Zwift is the interactivity with other riders.

It's also not fair to say they haven't done much development. Watopia has been expanded and it's truly enormous (90% of my riding), developing mountain biking (gimmick right now), adjusting the crr of terrain to reflect dirt and other surfaces. There's a whole new course, running has been expanded. The whole drop shop is included (whether you like or dislike this feature). There are faults, but Zwift isn't stagnant.

For me the graphics are totally fine. Even when I'm training in ERG mode I'd rather look at a virtual rider getting some miles in for all my work in the garage. It's easier to quantify the work I'm doing even taking into account that the riding is always in ideal conditions and mileage is a bit optimistic (not that much for my IRL riding position).

If you're fine with staring at the numbers (or another screen) while training then Zwift doesn't have to be for you. For me, I like the added realism of terrain with a smart trainer and I occasionally do group rides and even meet up with friends around the country. That far outweighs the fact that it doesn't look real to me.

I also have Tacx software that has videos of the terrain you are riding with is a whole different experience and a nice addition to my indoor riding.

Zwift isn't for everyone, nice to have options. But it's not fair to rag on their graphics without a better solution and they are surely working on the game with regular updates. Amazing what's it's become in the last 5 years.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenovian View Post
I rode the Pollensa to Cap Formentor route a couple of days ago. Once I arrived at the parking lot at end of the route I kept riding and the video turned me around and I was headed back towards Pollensa. I rode a couple more miles in that direction. I don't know if this is true of the other routes on RGT.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Most other routes are loops but Stelvio turns you around at the end.
Ventoux has you riding down from the top after you crest. I always stop after creating.

Tags
zwift