Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 05:00 PM

Campy fluted seatpost saddle clamp slipping

So I had one years ago with the 6-sided bolt to secure the saddle rails; maybe super record? No matter how much i tightened it, the saddle would shortly thereafter slowly slip into the nose-up position. It was annoying.

Recently someone on the forum was selling one with a hex bolt. I thought maybe its a newer design and/or my previous one was a dud. I messaged the seller back and forth a few times, eventually in a message which i asked multiple questions in, i asked him if he ever had issues with it slipping. I
coulda sworn he told me he didnt have any slipping issues, but looking back now, he happened to skip over that question.

So my post is slipping. My fault for not calling the seller out on avoid the question. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Carbon paste? Lose some lbs?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM

1st thing, i like the allen bolt more than the regular old bolt, nobody carries a darn wrench to fix those in the road

About the slipping, I got that problem and I fix it with grease and carbon paste.

Put tad grease in the bolt threads.. under the the curved cromed metal like shim thing that the bolt seats in, that will help with the creaks.

All the rest, put carbon paste to it and tight it.

Personally never seen one of those seatpost so old and busted that no matter how much you tight it wont get fixed in place after putting carbon paste.

For the record im 220 pounds and use the saddle all the way back, 50% of my bikes have that seatpost design. The other half have the athena version and I do the same thing with the carbon paste.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
1st thing, i like the allen bolt more than the regular old bolt, nobody carries a darn wrench to fix those in the road

About the slipping, I got that problem and I fix it with grease and carbon paste.

Put tad grease in the bolt threads.. under the the curved cromed metal like shim thing that the bolt seats in, that will help with the creaks.

All the rest, put carbon paste to it and tight it.

Personally never seen one of those seatpost so old and busted that no matter how much you tight it wont get fixed in place after putting carbon paste.

For the record im 220 pounds and use the saddle all the way back, 50% of my bikes have that seatpost design. The other half have the athena version and I do the same thing with the carbon paste.

Hope this helps.
That sure does! Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:30 PM

Never had a problem with a fluted Super Record post. I’ve had issues with the aero C Record posts and sometimes I score the clamp surface lightly with a file.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:25 PM

The problem is that if you tight the bolt way too much in desperation to get the problem solved you can round the threads in the top piece. I learned the lesson when I was 12 y/o... dad was not happy. Fix is not that hard but in my case since parts were hard to get, they re tap it with an english threaded bolt, worked fine but the bolt was quite Fred Flintstone looking.

I saw a guy at ebay that welded or glued a nut at the top, that was genious IMO, just get a larger bolt and good to go.

Carbon paste is the best invention ever, you can use that everywhere to avoid applying too much torque to the parts.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM

I have 2 bikes with campy SR seatposts, one with a factory installed? helecoil insert and I think (will have to check) an allen head bolt. Does not slip. The other seatpost did slip so I replaced the original flat head bolt with an allen head bolt I found on ebay. Doesn't slip with carbon paste added.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 PM

Carbon paste or, if you're an old school car enthusiast, valve lapping compound.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
I have 2 bikes with campy SR seatposts, one with a factory installed? helecoil insert and I think (will have to check) an allen head bolt. Does not slip. The other seatpost did slip so I replaced the original flat head bolt with an allen head bolt I found on ebay. Doesn't slip with carbon paste added.
Thanks! Just wondering, did you install the helicoil?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:40 AM

Helicoil??? that must have been repaired at some point, good solution tho... back in the day we did not have access to those things.

Did you try the carbon paste?? darn weather here is changing all the time. Did some updates to my last bike and want to go out to test! :/
Old 03-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Went out and looked - the helicoil post has an allen head bolt. I believe the helicoil was a factory fix, I found this on bike forums:
" Like the wonderful Cinelli 1R stem, the new "Nuovo" Super one bolt post tended to slip unless you got the bolt really good & snug...and then sometimes stripped the threads in the upper cradle. The fix later appeared as a factory heli-coil steel thread insert."

I bet there is more info out there about the factory fix.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:27 AM

Here's an allen bolt on ebay, there are more also but they are a lot more $
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113697804191