Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Zwift: So Much Promise, But...

So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drops. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

I've used different dongles and extension cords. Right now, my Garmin dongle is under my bottom bracket, so it's not like my dongle is too far away to receive a signal.

I've got a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer that I bought new that I just calibrated using the Tacx app yesterday. I'm using a Garmin HRM and a GSC10 for cadence, both with fresh batteries. While I can't tell you my computer specs, I can tell you that my kids put it together using all Zwift-approved parts, specifically so that I could use it for this one purpose.

I'm beyond frustrated with this situation, it's almost like Zwift is tantalizing me just beyond my reach.

Any advice? Or is it time to realize that it's time to use another platform (like Trainerroad, which when I used it previously had absolutely no issues with connectivity).

Last edited by foggypeake; 03-25-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drop. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

I've used different dongles and extension cords. Right now, my Garmin dongle is under my bottom bracket, so it's not like my dongle is too far away to receive a signal.

I've got a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer that I bought new that I just calibrated using the Tacx app yesterday. I'm using a Garmin HRM and a GSC10 for cadence, both with fresh batteries. While I can't tell you my computer specs, I can tell you that my kids put it together using all Zwift-approved parts, specifically so that I could use it for this one purpose.

I'm beyond frustrated with this situation, it's almost like Zwift is tantalizing me just beyond my reach.

Any advice? Or is it time to realize that it's time to use another platform (like Trainerroad, which when I used it previously had absolutely no issues with connectivity).
so i dont know anything about zwift and barely anything about sensors, but i know when I had a HRM paired to my phone and my bar mounted GPS, the GPS would not register the signal from the HRM until i turned bluetooth off on my phone.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Probably unpopular opinion but zwift is meh. For how much yall paying monthly it should be MUCH better.

I switched to trainer road which costs more but it has been great. Great software, great plans, great podcast. I rather follow a graph and watch a movie than ride around a fictious world nade with poor 2001 computer graphics.

I rec trainer road, its 5stars. The plan builder is amazing.

Sufferfest is good as plans are good but dont want to watch cheesy videos with crappy music.

All this my opinion. Use what you want.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 PM

I don't have those issues with my Wahoo KICKR and Zwift. I use a fanless cpu to run Zwift and use ANT connections for everything. I tried Bluetooth but it was inconsistent. I run a USB extension cord to put the dongle right next to the trainer. My fanless cpu connects to my TV and has a 4k video card so I get a really great picture.

I had issues early on with my KICKR and this is my second one replaced under warranty, but they've been great with warranty response. My current unit is about a year old.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drops. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

Put the Ant+ receiver (connected to your computer by a cable) slightly below the level of your top tube, and by your side (one ft away)

That resolved the issue i had, when i lived in an apartment complex

Alternatively, Bluetooth
Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM

I've used a Vortex Smart for years and years with Zwift.

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel. (EDIT: to clarify, as close to the big resistance unit as possible)

The Vortex reads cadence just fine, so you can drop the cadence sensor.

Last edited by andrew+; 03-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM

I run Zwift on an I pad and use all wahoo works great
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:

Is your bike in the same room with a WiFi router?
I had some ANT+ issues early on, but I switched my router channel and it's good. I also put my appletv on 5Gz to dedicate the 2.4 band to ANT+

ANT+ runs on 2.4 GHz, so interference is likely to occur if your router is also on 2.4 GHz and near your bike setup. Luckily, it's fairly simple to switch your WiFi's channel.

https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-fix-...outs-in-zwift/
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel.

If you use bluetooth you dont need an extender. Bluetooth range is way larger than ant+
Old 03-25-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
If you use bluetooth you dont need an extender. Bluetooth range is way larger than ant+
Bluetooth leads to dropouts with my Vortex Smart + PC setup. Maybe yours is better, but I've ridden thousands of miles on Zwift and the above ANT+ setup has eliminated dropouts entirely. I think the Smart has a very weak signal.

Edit: My PC is also very close to my WiFi router, so that could be making things worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM

Never had issues with Zwift but mostly used BT connection through Stages and iPad or hammer h2 and iPad. I now use Rouvy and prefer it to Zwift. Maybe give it a try with the same set-up and see how it works.Rouvy usually will let you demo for a couple weeks for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Buy a 4th gen or newer Apple TV and just use that to zwift. It’s simple and displays on a tv. You can get a used one on eBay for 90ish$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 PM

Tried Zwift, switched to Sufferfest, no regrets. Much more my thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:37 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel. (EDIT: to clarify, as close to the big resistance unit as possible)

Yeah this. It will make everything better.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Yeah this. It will make everything better.
Mine is less than a foot from the KICKR. I use a Schosche HRM.

Tags
zwift