Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 PM

New York Will Restrict Most Gatherings of More Than 500 People
Broadway will go dark for at least a month beginning Thursday, after Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York announced restrictions on public gatherings in an extraordinary step to fight the growing outbreak of the coronavirus.

The governor’s decision to limit gatherings of more than 500 people is a blow one of the crown jewels of the city’s tourist trade, its theater industry. Last season, the industry drew 14.8 million patrons and grossed $1.8 billion.

All 41 Broadway theaters have at least 500 seats, and most have more than 1,000.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:22 PM

MLB Opening Day delayed for 2 weeks
Old 03-12-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Parenting is just like trying to get a car out of ditch with a rope by pushing on the rope, not like pulling a car out of ditch by pulling on the rope. Sit him down and make you expectations crystal clear then expect to remind him of the same expectations over and over and over and over and......
Oh we'd made it that far , that was identified as mandatory by his parents right off the bat. Maybe one too few "... and overs..." before I wanted to throw in the towel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
he's a college kid?

don't feed him until he washes his hands.
First year at local JC. 19 yo, socially ~14-15 maybe, ADHD. Good kid, I love him, just a kid with issues.

Washing hands before dinner (only meal he eats with us) since day one so at least he's doing it one time a day. New rule is as soon as he enters the house, anytime he enters the house.

Appears classes have been cancelled and he's headed home in the next few days for spring break as long as domestic travel isn't halted. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I don't remember if I posted this in the other thread but if you are still making jokes about it, like I was too, this puts it into perspective.

I think you need an FB account to read:

https://www.facebook.com/cristina.hi...57623212885189
I tagged her message yesterday before the other thread got closed. I've spoken to a bunch of people in Italy who've said it's not as she portrays.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Vendor

Ohio just canceled schools for 3 weeks around 2:30pm today. So my kids had a 4 day weekend, now it's a 25 day weekend.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 PM

Now it's time to panic!!

Old 03-12-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
A Chinese official has accused the US Army for starting the coronavirus outbreak - here's the link: https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...rmy-accusation
Relying on the text of the official's tweet embedded in your link, I don't think "accused" is the right verb. How about "suggested" or even the article's own word, "questioned?" As for the link's headline, in my estimation the writer wasn't engaged in professional journalism but rather something different.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Vendor

Cleveland Indians just posted they are postponing Opening Day.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Cleveland Indians just posted they are postponing Opening Day.
M.L.B. Delays Start of Season and Suspends Spring Training Games
Major League Baseball became the latest professional sports league to respond to the threat of the novel coronavirus on Thursday, postponing the start of its regular season by at least two weeks.

The league also announced that all spring training games would be canceled, effective immediately.

“Following a call with the 30 clubs, and after consultation with the Major League Baseball Players Association, Commissioner Robert D. Manfred Jr. today announced that M.L.B. has decided to suspend spring training games and to delay the start of the 2020 regular season by at least two weeks due to the national emergency created by the coronavirus pandemic,” M.L.B. said in a statement.

Last edited by Tony T; 03-12-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Flights now are really cheap. I'm thinking of buying a $145 round-trip ticket from NYC to Toronto to visit my sister next weekend. Bad idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Yes, for the weekend of 3/21-3/22. I figure that the worst that can happen is that the flight is cancelled and my fare is refunded. I don't see why two hours on a rather empty plane, and some more time in a rather empty airport, should be more dangerous than the things I do every day (e.g., going to the supermarket).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i would say the worst that can happen is that there is a pop-up spread of corona in Toronto, that get's added to the US's "watch list" and you have to quarantine to 2 weeks upon return.

I heard a good analogy today. We all know that playing Russian roulette is not wise. Six chambers, one bullet, not good odds. The smart move is to spin the cylinder and pull the trigger as few times as possible, as in zero.

COVID-19 exposure is the same. We don't know how many chambers are in the revolver (i.e., the odds) but the strategy is the same. Every public exposure is a spin and a trigger pull. Longer exposure in closer quarters (e.g. a plane) is more spins and trigger pulls.

It's your choice of course, but my choice is to do a video conference with my siblings rather than get on a plane to visit.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM

All of the Restaurants in my area are remaining open, and all of them are releasing almost the same PR (same goes for a lot of the small theaters).
Here's an example from Brooklyn Brewery:
https://brooklynbrewery.com/news/bro...e-to-covid-19/
Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post

First year at local JC. 19 yo, socially ~14-15 maybe, ADHD. Good kid, I love him, just a kid with issues.
Speaking from personal experience...coaching, exercise, diet and meds will all help with the ADHD.

Three out of four in my family blessed with ADHD. And my wife is a saint for putting up with us.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
In a move that will surprise no one, it appears the money hungry NCAA basketball march madness tournament will be the last major sporting event to cancel its games.

Gotta wring as much money out of those unpaid "student" athletes as possible.

NCAA Cancels March Madness tournaments.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM

Major League Soccer is shut down for 30 days.

I would for a company that plans and hosts events and we've lost 15 parties this week.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
Relying on the text of the official's tweet embedded in your link, I don't think "accused" is the right verb. How about "suggested" or even the article's own word, "questioned?" As for the link's headline, in my estimation the writer wasn't engaged in professional journalism but rather something different.

I have a very simple rule I follow, and that is if I see anything “fox” in a URL, I do not click it. I suggest everyone else do the same.
Closed Thread