Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 AM

Have you tried everything here? https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-fix-...outs-in-zwift/

For me, the Zwift group rides and races are far more motivating than any graph. I've been "attending" one of the weekly group rides for several years, there's a voice chat using Discord and it's become a nice group of friends.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 AM

Once I switched to Ant+ i stopped having signal drop outs. As others have suggested, run a cord from your computer to an ant dongle under the trainer. I started with the Tacx Vortex adn switched to the Wahoo Kickr Core. I had the same problem with both trainers until I switched to Ant+.

The problem I was having is there are more devices running bluetooth in my home and for some reason they would create interference which would cause a signal drop (not fun in a race).
Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Probably unpopular opinion but zwift is meh. For how much yall paying monthly it should be MUCH better.

I switched to trainer road which costs more but it has been great. Great software, great plans, great podcast. I rather follow a graph and watch a movie than ride around a fictious world nade with poor 2001 computer graphics.

I rec trainer road, its 5stars. The plan builder is amazing.

Sufferfest is good as plans are good but dont want to watch cheesy videos with crappy music.

All this my opinion. Use what you want.

This did it for me.

I have been trying Zwift for recovery from a broken leg and I had a sneaking suspicion that it was just a little too gimicky. The graphics and user interface were horrible for something that costs more than HBO Go each month. I started doing the workouts and that has been the only fun I have managed to have on Zwift. But doing those workouts made me think "oh I would like to try to do something more structured". When you look at the bulk of what Zwift offers for structured plans, they all seem like gussied-up spin classes. I'm not sure that Zwift isn't the best way to spend my $15 a month.

Trainerroad looks much more disciplined and more in line with what I would expect from a training software.

I did try Rouvy per madsciencenow's comment. That was a world better graphics-wise and I'm intrigued by the ability to see what some of the big rides in Europe look like. I also like the family-plan type pricing. Zwift x 2 is just silly. I'm going to try one of the workouts today. I wish their user interface was a little cleaner. Their overlaid graphics look amateur in light of their more sophisticated AR approach.

There's no clear winner here, just a clear loser.

Ultimately, I would rather go outside!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:18 AM
Randomhead

I suspect that zwift might be better for my endurance efforts because on Trainerroad I have trouble concentrating. I definitely like TR for intevals and structured training though.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I suspect that zwift might be better for my endurance efforts because on Trainerroad I have trouble concentrating. I definitely like TR for intevals and structured training though.
Timing might be an problem depending on when you ride, but there are often some fairly long Zwift events (3.5+ hours, 100+ virtual miles) that have worked well for me. if I watch TV, my pace tends to taper off, in a virtual group I have to pay attention so I don't get virtually dropped.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Tried Zwift, switched to Sufferfest, no regrets. Much more my thing.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
if I watch TV, my pace tends to taper off, in a virtual group I have to pay attention so I don't get virtually dropped.
that's what happens to me. I have trouble completing hour long workouts that have no intervals.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:42 AM

I'm using Tru-Trainer smart rollers on Zwift now and the only time I had problems was when the app for the rollers was running on my phone along with Zwift app. Once I shut down the Tru-Trainer app I never had connection issues. They were very clear about extending the dongle out to whichever device you are using which in my case is the rollers and a G3 hub.

As for Zwift as a training tool, It's been great for me. Otherwise no way I could tolerate spinning more then 30 minutes indoors. Do any of the other virtual apps for cycling have actual real time racing? Because the Zwift races are the real deal. They keep you honest that's for damn sure. I guess i could see how some people don't get along with the game like graphics but that doesn't bother me. It's kind of like how you can get really involved into a good book and you can picture everything when there are obviously no graphics.

But in Zwift racing as cheesy as the graphics might be when someone goes off the front and you start chasing it's as real as it gets in the comfort of your own home
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Zwift either needs to go full Mario Kart or try to move beyond PS2-level graphics for what they charge monthly.

And personally, I get more out of a structured workout/plan if I'm riding indoors than just hopping on to faff about.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Zwift either needs to go full Mario Kart or try to move beyond PS2-level graphics for what they charge monthly.

And personally, I get more out of a structured workout/plan if I'm riding indoors than just hopping on to faff about.
For those of us who are both cyclists and runners...Zwift does offer structured workout plans for runners. And for runners, Zwift is still free...

I find the combination of Zwift and my half marathon playlist booming away on the stereo pretty useful. Far better than watching the talking heads on XXXBC or reruns of This Old House.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Zwift graphics look poor compare to PS4/XB1, but they do scale to match the hardware. If it looks like a PS2 game, it's probably because you're running it on an old/weak computer. If you have a mid range video card it looks...better than PS3/XB360
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
I've used different dongles and extension cords. Right now, my Garmin dongle is under my bottom bracket, so it's not like my dongle is too far away to receive a signal.

Any advice? Or is it time to realize that it's time to use another platform (like Trainerroad, which when I used it previously had absolutely no issues with connectivity).
Are you also using an ethernet cable connection for the zwift machine and banishing all wi-fi devices from a multi-room periphery of about 20 feet from the Ant+ dongle and sensors? If so, sorry, it's frustrating.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 AM

I had somewhat similar issues until I started connecting through the Zwift Companion app on my phone. Connectivity is much more reliable through the Companion.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:05 AM

Give Rouvy a try for free. I'm using a Wahoo Kickr (the kind with a "flywheel" where you remove the rear bike wheel). Most sensors (power, speed, cadence, distance) are built into the kickr. They worked flawlessly with the Android Kickr app on my smartphone. I also use a Garmin dual HR sensor (bluetooth and Ant). It's connecting via bluetooth.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the Rouvy Windows program on my laptop. Signed up for the free trial. Did a trial ride and a tough 6 mile climb up from Nice. Graphics were fine. It showed HR, cadence, grade, watts per KG etc. all the way up. It showed a couple other riders who were on the "course". I'm too old to race anyone so am not interested in that aspect. There are lots and lots of courses on Rouvy or you can add your own. There is even a one click connector to Ride With GPS where I store my outdoor activity. Did that click and the completed ride was stored there also.

There is a "connect my sensors" box on Rouvy, I clicked it once and was set up for good.

If you try Rouvy, you might want to complete the registration process including email validation of your new account before you do your ride. Otherwise your workout seems to be caught in limbo until registration is complete. (It's still a free trial at that stage). At $6 a month a year's subscription is going to cost less than one month at the local Y.

Edit: frustrating Sunday morning in the midst of the covid pandemic. Rouvy site is slow. Very slow. Suspect it is overwhelmed with indoor cyclists. And their free trial seems to be very limited. It seems like they give you one ride that works normally. After that you have to find "free ride" somewhere in their menu system and click it and you get a limited workout. Otherwise you can view the routes they have saved and see all the statistics for them, even a video of them but you can't do them like a workout where it adjusts your resistance to the grade. I may subscribe anyway just to find out but that's what I suspect. Their support postings are as clear as MUD.

Last edited by fkelly; 03-29-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: amend the post
Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM

FulGaz is similar to rouvy. I think both have Apple TV apps. The Apple TV makes things a lot simpler than the whole laptop experience. I also find running to be a nice zwift alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
zwift