Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM

What's a good bike repair stand?

I'm looking for as high quality as possible in the $100-150 range.

Do you prefer the style that clamps the seat post/ top tube or the front axle mount/bottom bracket?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattre View Post
Do you prefer the style that clamps the seat post/ top tube or the front axle mount/bottom bracket?
top tube

Old 11-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Re:

Do you prefer the style that clamps the seat post/ top tube or the front axle mount/bottom bracket?[/QUOTE]

Clamp the seat post, never by the frame tubing unless you don't care about your frame. Also, front axle clamps work except for adjusting front brakes, wheels, etc. That's why most shops use ones that clamp by the post. Feedback Sports has well-made repair stands for reasonable cost. You can also check Aldi Markets if in your area... they occasionally have a low-cost model on special at a great price.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Feedback Sports.

Only clamp at the top tube if you want to give the co-op good stories to share.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Randomhead

I have the feedback sports "sport mechanic" stand. Retail is $175, my lbs sold it to me for a price in your price range. They suggested that model over the more expensive ones. They had one of the expensive ones in a box to go back for warranty when I asked. I really like mine, I'm not sure what the better one has that it doesn't.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:06 PM

They work for front also. Take off rear wheel and clamp down and work on front.

Last edited by Mike V; 11-18-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:12 PM
aka RAEKWON

I like my feedback spring, works really well for the most part. It makes working on the bike 10x easier and makes the bike feel very secure, easy to rotate, ect.

Things it is not good at, setting up front brakes (yes you can clamp bike by rear dropouts but its a pain in the ass), if bike has fenders, or if your bike is an open or similar with the drop stays.

I no longer have a bike with fenders and I have a way around the open drop stay problem. As far as front brake goes, I just work on it while the bike is on the ground, not really a huge deal. I seriously do not miss the traditional bike stand.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Can't beat this for $100

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...-stand-40-2198
Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM

If you search the archives you will find LOTS of info/opinions on this topic.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublar View Post
This looks a lot like the stand I have been happy with for years and $100 is a great price.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 PM

If getting a low price stand is important than that Spin Doctor Team seems very capable for the price; and the Feedback Sport is a bit better than the Spin Doctor for not that much more money plus it can fold down to travel with. I have the Feedback Sport model and it does everything I want it to do, while I don't have any bikes near 65 pounds it claims it can hold but it does hold all of mine without issues; when I say it will hold all of my bikes, I don't mean all at the same time...yuk yuk yuk! Also if you go online and do a search it seems that the Feedback Sports Sport model is widely rated as number 1 for use as well as value.

If you look at the Spin doctor and Feedback Sports model you will notice that the Feedback unit has three support legs which I would have to assume it would be less wobbly than a two legged Spin Doctor, but having never used the Spin Doc I don't know but that would seem to make sense. The Feedback can extend 8" higher than the Spin Doc. I've had mine for about 3 years and so far no complaints nor any issues that I thought could have been done better.

I think you would want to be careful with getting stand that's too cheap, their cheap for a reason, and may you find out what those reasons are shortly down the road soon after the warranty expires!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
If you look at the Spin doctor and Feedback Sports model you will notice that the Feedback unit has three support legs which I would have to assume it would be less wobbly than a two legged Spin Doctor, but having never used the Spin Doc I don't know but that would seem to make sense. The Feedback can extend 8" higher than the Spin Doc. I've had mine for about 3 years and so far no complaints nor any issues that I thought could have been done better.
!
The Spin Doctor stand I see in the link is a tripod and it folds. You may be looking at a different model.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
If getting a low price stand is important than that Spin Doctor Team seems very capable for the price; and the Feedback Sport is a bit better than the Spin Doctor for not that much more money plus it can fold down to travel with. I have the Feedback Sport model and it does everything I want it to do, while I don't have any bikes near 65 pounds it claims it can hold but it does hold all of mine without issues; when I say it will hold all of my bikes, I don't mean all at the same time...yuk yuk yuk! Also if you go online and do a search it seems that the Feedback Sports Sport model is widely rated as number 1 for use as well as value.

I think you would want to be careful with getting stand that's too cheap, their cheap for a reason, and may you find out what those reasons are shortly down the road soon after the warranty expires!
That linked stand has three legs, and folds for travel, looks almost identical to an old Topeak Elite stand I had that was fantastic.. sold it used for $80. But the linked one shows up as $160 for me for some reason.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
That linked stand has three legs, and folds for travel, looks almost identical to an old Topeak Elite stand I had that was fantastic.. sold it used for $80. But the linked one shows up as $160 for me for some reason.
I saw the same price but with a 30% off "coupon" posted right on the same page. Did that discount expire?
Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I saw the same price but with a 30% off "coupon" posted right on the same page. Did that discount expire?
I didn’t check the link but Performance is clearing out everything for bankruptcy now. Everything in store today is 30% off. If you’re a gambling type, you can hold out for the bigger discounts that will be coming at the risk of the stuff you want being sold out.

BTW a good workstand is a durable good that generally is fine buying used. Scan your local CL for a Feedback or Park stand at a good price.