Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Had this same experience the first time I tried Tufo tape, now over 10 yrs ago. FWIW there was a thin old coat of glue on the alloy rim before I applied the tape; I didn’t acetone it down to a clean rim bed.

It took me quite a long time using a screwdriver to get the tire off. Tire levers and other milder pry tools had no effect. And then it took even longer to get the tape off of the rim.

Completely swore off tape at that point, and have been gluing tires since.

Reviewing the above replies, maybe it’s time for me to revisit the issue.
It was Tufo tape now that you mention it. It was also about ten years ago too.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
Tubasti

by Aldo Ross

Tubasti on the sidewalls
Tubasti on the spokes
Tubasti on the workbench
And a bunch of cotter bolts

Tubasti on the visegrips
Tubasti on my arm
Tubasti on my chin and cheek
I hope it won't cause harm

Tubasti on the light switch
Tubasti on the cats
Tubasti on my shoes and socks
And on my car's floor mats

Tubasti on the carpet
Tubasti in my hair
I tried to glue just one damn tire
Now Tubasti's everywhere

…no problem……
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 276BAC53-A616-4A0A-8006-DC03913BF29D.jpeg (70.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:57 PM
Ari W

I used tape regularly for several years with 25mm tires, and mine was the 20mm or smaller. Really easy system to work with, never rolled a tire.

-Ari
Old 02-28-2024, 03:24 PM

Maybe they should have used tape on Thomas De Gendts hookless rims the other day at UAE tour. And it looks like some teams going back to tubular, yay.
Sorry for the OT but I have been using glue for many years after messing with tape only a few times. I know some of the CX ppl use glue and tape.
Sure hope tubulars make their way back into the Pro peloton to keep lots of selection for those of us who would like to continue using tubs.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:04 PM

The rim bed is curved, so a 24mm width will be ~25mm measured along the radius of the mounting surface. I wouldn't think twice about going with the 25mm tape. Plus it won't hurt anything if it pokes out a hair.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-28-2024, 08:21 PM
Huffing Mastik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Glue is for the birds.
Chirp!
Old 02-28-2024, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarquade View Post
the rim bed is curved, so a 24mm width will be ~25mm measured along the radius of the mounting surface. I wouldn't think twice about going with the 25mm tape. Plus it won't hurt anything if it pokes out a hair.
^^ this ^^
Old 02-29-2024, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Excellent choice of wheels. I have the same in DB and they are amazing.

I'm firmly () in the glue camp. Now, I have never tried tape but given the number of times one has to change a tire I don't think the time savings is really significant. Unless a rim has been reglued multiple times (and poorly so there's a lot of dingleberries built up) it takes me less than 30 minutes to put on a new tire using the OldPotatoe method (glue tire, glue rim, glue tire, glue rim, install, pump up and let sit overnight0. No need to dry overnight between coats, and I have ridden a tire within an hour of gluing it and lived to tell (gasp).
Same and thanks..Gluing, like tubulars in general, get a lot of bad press..OFTEN from people would have never ridden, let alone glued a tubular on. NOT a black art BUT..for the OP, I'd measure it all and the 20mm will probably be fine.

I guess Mariposa has gotten the tape thing right, after some pretty spectacular early failures...BUT, I'll stick with glue, thanks..not really a big deal.

Quote:
Maybe they should have used tape on Thomas De Gendts hookless rims the other day at UAE tour. And it looks like some teams going back to tubular, yay.
Reality, what a concept. Using the 'pro' tour as beta testers..great idea sponsors. Hard to beat a carbon, disc brake tubular wheelset. For comfort, cornering, ability to ride after a flat.....security, weight, etc...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-29-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
The rim bed is curved, so a 24mm width will be ~25mm measured along the radius of the mounting surface. I wouldn't think twice about going with the 25mm tape. Plus it won't hurt anything if it pokes out a hair.
Even using the slightly narrow tape some of the tapes softer top layer of glue will squeeze out a bit. Going too wide you will get quite a bit of that top layer squeezing out. It will pickup a lot of dirt and look terrible. No need to go too wide, the base tape will be in full contact with the tape regardless. That stuff holds very well, I usually have to cut the tire off just to get a good grip on the tire to remove it.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Same and thanks..Gluing, like tubulars in general, get a lot of bad press..OFTEN from people would have never ridden, let alone glued a tubular on. NOT a black art BUT..for the OP, I'd measure it all and the 20mm will probably be fine.

I guess Mariposa has gotten the tape thing right, after some pretty spectacular early failures...BUT, I'll stick with glue, thanks..not really a big deal.

Reality, what a concept. Using the 'pro' tour as beta testers..great idea sponsors. Hard to beat a carbon, disc brake tubular wheelset. For comfort, cornering, ability to ride after a flat.....security, weight, etc...
As an aside but along the lines of beta testing check out this video, and I'm not really a luddite but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that you need a freakin' drill to remove a front wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GFyC9RKmMM4
Old 02-29-2024, 12:05 PM

One thing I don't like about tubulars, especially gluing for cyclocross and using Belgium tape is there a pretty much zero chance of easily reusing the tire after pulling off the rim, usually pulling base tape off with the cx tape.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
One thing I don't like about tubulars, especially gluing for cyclocross and using Belgium tape is there a pretty much zero chance of easily reusing the tire after pulling off the rim, usually pulling base tape off with the cx tape.
Why are you pulling the tire off if it hasn't punctured? Unless you have the really ridiculous wheels with hidden nipples?
Old 03-01-2024, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
As an aside but along the lines of beta testing check out this video, and I'm not really a luddite but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that you need a freakin' drill to remove a front wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GFyC9RKmMM4
Yup, more 'stuff' foisted on pro riders, with oftimes zero performance advantage, so the suppliers can sell more of their junque.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday is alive and well. Some of this stuff just as dumb as seeing a 'Ford' win Daytona and be convinced ya gotta buy a Ford, or Chevy or Toyota.