Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Campy 10 speed gumby levers - triple?

I am pretty sure that all campy 10 levers are triple compatible, but before building a bike around these.. just want to make sure I buy the right cranks (I like tight jumps and also like triples). Anybody know for sure? I don't have campy shifters here to compare. TIAScreenshot_20211027-125050_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2021, 10:14 PM

Yes, 2009 Centaur levers were double and triple compatible. Hard to find but arguably the high point in C10 Ergo levers. I'd rather have those than the earlier Record/Chorus carbon levers.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I am pretty sure that all campy 10 levers are triple compatible, but before building a bike around these.. just want to make sure I buy the right cranks (I like tight jumps and also like triples). Anybody know for sure? I don't have campy shifters here to compare. TIAAttachment 1698033894

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
2009/2010 10s 'gumby' levers are double AND triple but fewer 'clicks' in the LH lever than 2008 Record/Chorus and older(UltraShift-went to 'Powershift in 2011..then double was double only...thumb button in 'slot' of the hoods-Ultrashift..if just thru a hole-PowerShift))...so use a 'Comp' triple front der..adjust the FDer really close to the chain when in lowest gear(small ring, biggest cog)..make inner wire TIGHT and you'll have just enough clicks to get chain onto big ring.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:41 PM

I had the very first iteration of the Gumby levers from 2008/2009 with the ultra soft click to larger cogs. These were ultra-shift where the right could dump up to 5 at a time to the smaller cogs. It was a miserable experience with a Record Triple crankset and Record Triple bottom bracket. Both with a Record triple front and then a Comp triple front. It never shifted well and required extreme cable tension. There was not enough clicks in the left shifter to cover all the bases. The 53 ring would be great then the 42 would suffer or vice-versa. This was on two different bikes, a Fuso and a Pedal Force with a shop that was well versed in Campagnolo (Shaw's Cycles in Santa Clara).

The setup conked out on a double century and I was a very unhappy camper for 80 miles.

I switched over to an Alloy Centaur Compact 10 speed with a Chorus Compact front and the shifting was flawless (other than the soft right shifting). There is an old thread over on RBR Campy forum regarding the part to retrofit to firmer clicking. That was an improvement but ultimately I ditched the group.

I'm still riding a Triple on my Steve Rex. Chorus 10 speed pre-gumby, Record Triple Crankset/Bottom Bracket and Comp front and rear. A custom 11-27 Wheels Manufacturing cassette. Thousands of miles. Probably due for a G Spring swap out soon.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I had the very first iteration of the Gumby levers from 2008/2009 with the ultra soft click to larger cogs. These were ultra-shift where the right could dump up to 5 at a time to the smaller cogs. It was a miserable experience with a Record Triple crankset and Record Triple bottom bracket. Both with a Record triple front and then a Comp triple front. It never shifted well and required extreme cable tension. There was not enough clicks in the left shifter to cover all the bases. The 53 ring would be great then the 42 would suffer or vice-versa. This was on two different bikes, a Fuso and a Pedal Force with a shop that was well versed in Campagnolo (Shaw's Cycles in Santa Clara).

The setup conked out on a double century and I was a very unhappy camper for 80 miles.

I switched over to an Alloy Centaur Compact 10 speed with a Chorus Compact front and the shifting was flawless (other than the soft right shifting). There is an old thread over on RBR Campy forum regarding the part to retrofit to firmer clicking. That was an improvement but ultimately I ditched the group.

I'm still riding a Triple on my Steve Rex. Chorus 10 speed pre-gumby, Record Triple Crankset/Bottom Bracket and Comp front and rear. A custom 11-27 Wheels Manufacturing cassette. Thousands of miles. Probably due for a G Spring swap out soon.
Thanks for sharing. Always assumed 'Gumby' Ultrashift would triple easily. I guess not! You learn something new everyday.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like a double is a better way to proceed.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
There is an old thread over on RBR Campy forum regarding the part to retrofit to firmer clicking.
Some nipped and for info..it was EC-CE-110 and there was a running change from 2009-2010 to make the 10s Gumby shifters 'clicker'. It was a deeper groove version of the shift disc. Top pic is the new disc, bottom, the old disc. I had a pair but converted 2 levers. If you can somehow find the last gen Centaur/Veloce, made mid-late 2010, they have the newer innards.

The urban legend goes...Campagnolo asked Indurain to ride the new Gumby shaped stuff..His comments(and probably others) led to the running change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4905 copy.jpg (126.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Some nipped and for info..it was EC-CE-110 and there was a running change from 2009-2010 to make the 10s Gumby shifters 'clicker'. It was a deeper groove version of the shift disc. Top pic is the new disc, bottom, the old disc. I had a pair but converted 2 levers. If you can somehow find the last gen Centaur/Veloce, made mid-late 2010, they have the newer innards.

The urban legend goes...Campagnolo asked Indurain to ride the new Gumby shaped stuff..His comments(and probably others) led to the running change.
How easy are these to change? I suppose youtube is a good resource. I found some of these from recyclery and they are on their way to me now! OP - will send you a message.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:16 PM

another data point for you. I have the early Gumby style, soft feeling, Centaur 10 shifters, and I used them on a Centaur triple setup for about 2000+ miles with no trouble at all. I have since repurposed them on another bike to shift a compact double setup, again with no problems. YMMV, of course.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:21 PM

I am not sure what Gumby levers are, but I have a Centaur shifter with carbon lever that I use on my tandem with a triple.
The crankset is a FSA Gossamer with 50/39/28.
It shifts pretty well and is essential on the tandem.
But on a road bike I prefer compact with 50/34 front and 11/32 rear.
I wish they made a 12/32 11 speed cassette. I do have a 12/28 Dura Ace cassette but sometimes need the 32 cog.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Ride to eat.

no problems here

Don't be scared.
Adjusting triples always seems finicky.

I have those same shifters and run a triple campy 10.

Have been running it since 2009. Front shifter finally gave out in 2019.
replaced it with a newer, same style.

Its on my brevet bike and has been used in multiple 1200km randonee's and many many miles.

Ride safe,
BamBam
Old 01-05-2022, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
How easy are these to change? I suppose youtube is a good resource. I found some of these from recyclery and they are on their way to me now! OP - will send you a message.
Not hard but can be difficult. If you align the shifter parts as you take them out and have some sort of pointy thing to get the end of the thumb button return spring back on the post, not hard. Be careful with the 2 teeny, tiny springs and ball bearings in the shift disc 'sandwich'..they have 'lose me' written all over them.

You found some EC-CE-110 discs?
Old 01-05-2022, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Don't be scared.
Adjusting triples always seems finicky.

I have those same shifters and run a triple campy 10.

Have been running it since 2009. Front shifter finally gave out in 2019.
replaced it with a newer, same style.

Its on my brevet bike and has been used in multiple 1200km randonee's and many many miles.

Ride safe,
BamBam
Yeegads, what 'gave out'?? I could have fixed it.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I wish they made a 12/32 11 speed cassette. I do have a 12/28 Dura Ace cassette but sometimes need the 32 cog.
Campy makes a Centaur level 11 spd 12-32 cassette.

A little heavy and has their lower level finish, but it shifts just fine.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:22 PM

My wife's Inglis sports Centaur 10 Ultrashift carbon levers, Racing T front derailleur, Centaur long cage rear derailleur, Ritchey Logic 46/36/26 crank and 11-34 10 spd cassette. Shifts excellently, but did require more trial and error tuning than a double (front der, chain length, etc.).