Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:13 PM

Replacement for an F1 Fork

I tried searching and cannot believe the subject hasn't come up.

What would be the best replacement for a one inch threaded F1 fork?

Mine's okay for now but looking a little rough around the ends.

If necessary could go to threadless but then have to find another stem.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:24 PM

will be tough to find a nice looking threaded carbon fork that doesn't over power the frame if its serotta steel frame.
might get Dave Kirk to build you a nice steel fork or put a wtb in the classifieds for another f1.threaded ouzo pro's are pretty rare.
you might clarify what frame you a attaching this to so others might offer the best replacement.good luck
Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 PM

the only new carbon fork you can get for 1" threaded is a wound up, i think. Actually a nice fork. Ugly though. They look better if you desticker them and get the crown painted black

I would get a steel fork

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 10-27-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:28 PM

It's for sure been discussed here in the past. Somewhere is an indepth writeup from David Kirk on the development of the fork and how tough it is. Makes me no worry about mine at all even after all these years have passed.

I seem to remember Torelli making 1'' carbon forks a while back also but don't know if they still do.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 PM

F1 forks can crack in the underside of the crown. I have one here that shows a crack. Might run for 20,000 miles without the crack progressing but I've never used it.

Columbus Minimal is still available in 1" threadless at Wiggle, but they only have one left. My go-to for inexpensive 1" forks was Nashbar. They are the same as Winwood, were available threaded and threadless. I have them on several bikes.

Have you considered a steel fork? I have two or three threaded steel Serotta forks on hand.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
It's for sure been discussed here in the past. Somewhere is an indepth writeup from David Kirk on the development of the fork and how tough it is. Makes me no worry about mine at all even after all these years have passed.

I seem to remember Torelli making 1'' carbon forks a while back also but don't know if they still do.
I have an AL Torelli Spada with a 1" fork. It's 15-20 years old and has a threadless !" carbon fork with an AL steerer.

There were lots of 1" carbon forks available 20 years ago: Look, Time, Cannondale, Easton, Ritchey, Icon, Profile, Wound Up, Kestrel, and numerous others.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Riding Along

I have a threaded F1 from a 54cm frame in good shape that I will never use and need a steel Serotta fork. I will pm two of you tomorrow when I have more time.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:25 PM

About 2 years ago I bought a 1" treadless Ritchey fork for my '99 Serotta just in case. They were still available then. Now due to Covid and who knows what else, many things are unavailable, so good luck.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3759 View Post
will be tough to find a nice looking threaded carbon fork that doesn't over power the frame if its serotta steel frame.
might get Dave Kirk to build you a nice steel fork or put a wtb in the classifieds for another f1.threaded ouzo pro's are pretty rare.
you might clarify what frame you a attaching this to so others might offer the best replacement.good luck
I mostly agree with this post.
There are a lot of used F1s out there, and you may find one if you're after a replacement. Heck, I have some, post what you need or send me a PM.

In partial contradiction to some of what's been posted in this thread, the most common failure for F1s is for the bond of the dropouts into the legs to fail. The bending strength of these forks, compared to the front end strength of the frames it was attached to, is extremely high. A replacement brazed steel fork would probably be more in character for the bike it's going onto than a wrong-length carbon fork that just happens to maybe be available in a workable steerer tube diameter.