Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 09:11 AM

Audi 2019 A5 Sportback Bike Rack Options?

TL;DR: Are there hitch-mount bike rack options for a 2019 Audi A5 Sportback that won't interfere with auto door-sensor hatch opening? If not, roof-mount next best option? Car is owned, so any hitch mods involving drilling/etc won't be lurking leasing issue.

Blather: I'm looking for racking options for my older son's Audi 2019 A5 Sportback. I'm trying to craftily offload a couple/few+ bikes to him now that he's living in a house i/o apartment. The crafty part is that since we both ride the same size frame, anything I "gift" to him kinda is a defalt loaner for me. And since younger brother also rides the same size frame, and lives further away in an apartment, if I can shoehorn in 3-4 bikes at older son's place we can all ride together when we gather there, and there's fewer wheels here at home. Sounds like a win-win to me, but I'm notoriously selfish...

I have two hitch-mount racks, a double Kuat and a maybe 4-bike Thule. I'm thinking getting my son a hitch mount for the Audi would work best, since we'd have the ability to use/swap both racks. But...

Son has done some research and thinks the hitch mount will interfere with his foot-sensor hatch release. He thinks he'd need to disable it, and he and d-i-l and Titaki the dog and maybe hopefully tiny future human expansion make the auto door opener non-negotiable for him.

Did some googling that was ineffective. I know there are basic hitch mounts that will work, and fancy-schmancy ones that are unobtrusive. They will want fancy-schmancy if a hitch will work. I couldn't find anything referencing hitch mounts and auto-door opening conflicts.

If that's not to be, it does look like there are removable roof racks that would work. That might be an easier sell.

Please enlighten me, o wise ones.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:23 AM

I think in general any hitch receiver will disable the foot operated opener in any cars.

I have a hitch receiver installed on my Mazda CX-9 and it disabled that function.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:46 AM
n - 1

https://stealthhitches.com/products/audi-hitch-shr30009

Check this out. Under FAQ, it says:

Does the Stealth Hitch affect my foot access trunk release?
No. Other hitches have either a visible steel member and/or a permanent square tube receiver below the bumper creating an interference with the antenna. Our hitch is mounted behind the bumper so there is no permanent steel piece below the bumper to affect the antennas.

One of the reviewers said:
2018 Audi A5 Sportback
The instructions could use a bit more pictures to show where everything is but overall I love my new hitch. It has good clearance when the hitch is on and you can see anything when the hitch is removed. Do note that the hands free trunk opening sensor is further back so you make set off the sensor when attaching something to your hitch or putting the hitch in.

I like the design, how it’s invisible when not in use. And seems like it doesn’t interfere with the foot actuated truck release.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
https://stealthhitches.com/products/audi-hitch-shr30009

Check this out. Under FAQ, it says:

Does the Stealth Hitch affect my foot access trunk release?
No. Other hitches have either a visible steel member and/or a permanent square tube receiver below the bumper creating an interference with the antenna. Our hitch is mounted behind the bumper so there is no permanent steel piece below the bumper to affect the antennas.

One of the reviewers said:
2018 Audi A5 Sportback
The instructions could use a bit more pictures to show where everything is but overall I love my new hitch. It has good clearance when the hitch is on and you can see anything when the hitch is removed. Do note that the hands free trunk opening sensor is further back so you make set off the sensor when attaching something to your hitch or putting the hitch in.

I like the design, how it’s invisible when not in use. And seems like it doesn’t interfere with the foot actuated truck release.
I wish I have known about this But I am not sure if the convenience is worth twice the cost.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I think euro cars look more proper with the bikes on the roof, IMO.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:21 AM

All I have to do to disable that feature on my car is approach the vehicle in the rain with both hands full. That said, I'm about to get a Stealth Hitch which has a base mount and L shaped attachment that is the hitch, I wonder if that would at least allow that feature to work if the L part wasn't mounted.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Back At It!

I recently picked up a Sea Sucker rack and it's pretty awesome... the only downside to it is you can't lock it on the car, if that's a concern. Otherwise, I was skeptical at first, but it's rock solid!
Old 10-26-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I think euro cars look more proper with the bikes on the roof, IMO.
I thought that too till I heard the wind noise difference at speed.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb View Post
TL;DR: Are there hitch-mount bike rack options for a 2019 Audi A5 Sportback that won't interfere with auto door-sensor hatch opening?
Even if there isnt, using a Kuat or 1up is far, far better and worth the trade of any roof mounted option.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Can’t guarantee and this answer might actually just be a question for you…but it solved my problem on my Volvo…I just use a hitch extender between the hitch receiver on the car and the 1-up. Don’t know if it would solve the Audi issue but maybe….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2021, 02:35 PM

Some indirect experience and observations

Earlier this year, purchased a 2021 Q7 with factory hitch and auto hatch opening. It all works fine without any complication (with or without my Kuat rack installed). When searching for a Q7, several were available without hitch and a lot of chatter was around install impacting the auto hatch function. Seems a careful install and shifting of foot action is key around it functioning. All that said, it is flaky and a bit "hokey-pokey" foot action but works once I knew the move.

I was looking at the A4 Allroads and found the hitch a rat hole of research. Stealth Hitch was the best solution if available for that model. The uhaul approach all seemed to be a hack and hung low below the bumper.

If you go the hitch route, keep in mind 2" is needed for more than two bikes and some of the fancier setups (4 bike Kuat NV) are hanging pretty well off the back and are heavy.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:18 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
All I have to do to disable that feature on my car is approach the vehicle in the rain with both hands full...
Ha ha!

Just take it by the mechanic for a diagnosis and it should work like a charm
Old 10-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRider View Post
If you go the hitch route, keep in mind 2" is needed for more than two bikes and some of the fancier setups (4 bike Kuat NV) are hanging pretty well off the back and are heavy.
I have a kuat for 3 bikes and it is unwieldy to handle, best with two people. I had to add an aftermarket brace to try and stabilize further, and it still moves a bit with significant gouges already after a year or so of usage on the 2” insert.

It is high enough to see through the rear window of my SUV. It also messes with the backup sensors which I’m sure most if not all racks do, but I definitely don’t leave mine on unless using it because of that.

Honestly I’m not a fan and would get a rack that takes one bike most the time and can take extensions when needed…but I get that wont work for many.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:05 PM

I have an A4 and installed the Stealth Hitch. I love it. Best part is that when you're not using it, you can pop the receiver out and your car still looks sleek as an Audi should.

By design you have to cut a tiny square off the inside edge of the bumper lip. It's not visible unless you're under the car.

I'm 100% satisfied and would definitely do it again. I use it with a one-bike One Up rack and it's pretty much flawless and brainless.

PS the foot-actuated trunk opening situation works fine still.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:18 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback on this. Sonny-boy should get here tonight, we'll kick it around and see what he thinks.