Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM

The majority of my facebook activities nowadays are private groups with my real life friends and we talk about food/exercise etc. Other groups are buy/sell, BBQ, etc. But I don't bother with any political stuff.

So far it is tolerable.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:29 AM
cmg

rarely input on facebook. don't have Instagram. so that is not my source for information. wow, their in it for profit, who would have guessed? youtube is humorous.

Last edited by cmg; 10-26-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
spot on, totally agree. It's not hard to track the political divide and social media timelines, they line up almost perfectly. https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...them/usvs_them

(also, it's "mainstream media")
+1
Old 10-26-2021, 01:02 PM

Spot on. I have never used facebook and my overall social media usage doesn't go past bike related to my hobbies.

Twitter may be the worst of them all as all it seems to do is aggregate angry people to agrue over nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
There is a book titled, "The Circle", written by David Eggers. It was released in 2013 and the novel is about this very thing. It is a pretty good read, maybe more so now with the revelations about Facebook coming out. The manipulation, the distortion of so called fact and truth, the ability to sway and control public opinion and way of thinking is real.

Obviously, Facebook is not alone. Main street media, whether it is liberal or conservative is just as culpable. We have become a society of extremes, IMO, not a good thing.

The way the human race lives these days is insanity. We are the makers of our destruction. Authors such as G. Orwell, HG Welles and others were prophesiers. We can be led to water, and made to drink, toxic or not.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:06 PM

They can tell more about you from your friends and connections than many realize to influence what you see on the site, regardless of if you react to it. They’ll connect your account to other sources of info to get your personal info. without you divulging it (well, most people anyway unless you really go to extremes to block stuff which 99% don’t do).

We all think we can “see” through the BS but these companies are smarter than all of us - the science they use to influence and generate clicks/revenue is no joke! I almost got convinced that disc brakes were superior to rim brakes the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Love Facebook, but don't divulge any personal information, comment on any posts outside of bike stuff or react to posts and you'll be fine.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:10 PM

Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
i almost got convinced that disc brakes were superior to rim brakes the other day.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:48 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

It's not necessarily about limiting activity on their domains. Their evilness (well, some of it at least) is that they track you on pretty much every site you go to. Even if you don't have an account, they track you. You never opted into them collecting data on you AND you can't opt out.

If you NEED to use facebook you can limit some of the damage by not having their apps installed on your phone, just use a browser and go to facebook.com or instagram.com. It has most of the functionality, but more importantly you can control which data is shared with them.

Also also....none of this will change anything. People will still use it, they'll still go to websites that have tracking pixels. They'll still do whatever they do on facebook/whatsapp/IG. They are too big and the network effect is too large for anything to ever have significant impact. SO MANY PEOPLE need to delete their facebook accounts for it to have any effect or financial impact.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Administrator

It is truly scary how much they are tracking/watching us. Neither my wife or I have FB or their Messenger app on our phones, and I only access FB through their website. I try and stay on top of who has access to what data, but I wouldn't be surprised if some app or website has more access than what I want.

So the other day my wife and I were talking about a friend who is starting a life coaching business. It was a brief conversation and at least one of our phones was on and in the room. Later on that day, I went to look at something on Facebook and the first ad that popped up was about a Life Coach. I have never once searched on this topic, and I'm absolutely convinced that this ad was based on our conversation earlier that day.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post
lol.
lol +1
Old 10-26-2021, 03:12 PM
Administrator

In addition to Dude's recommendation, don't ever use your FB sign-in with other websites/apps. Lots of them offer this as a way to login, but this just gives FB more access to your information.

I just found this website that shows how to limit what is shared with FB, and mine was turned on...but not anymore
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...ow-to-stop-it/

Last edited by Keith A; 10-26-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:34 PM

Government regulation is needed, just like current regulations on the books for preventing the dumping of toxic waste by private companies. Facebook is poisoning the minds of BILLIONs of people around the globe.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:08 PM

OMG I totally clicked a link for wool socks on Facebook a d bought some. Do you guys think I should change my name and move?

HELP!
Old 10-26-2021, 04:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
OMG I totally clicked a link for wool socks on Facebook a d bought some. Do you guys think I should change my name and move?
Yes.

To Canada.

Don't worry, there are Paceliners there.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:57 PM
what's a little rust?

surveillance socks ...
Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 PM

A fallacy in the Facebook playbook, I think, is a trust that the truth will out and an open and non-mediated conversation will arrive at the truth. Instead, “open” conversations have driven people to their corners and reinforced echo chambers. It has dissolved trust in evidence-based decision making and marginalized expertise in favor of populism. A question I wonder about is whether FB is a product of a growing divisiveness or an agent of that divisiveness (or both?). My sense is that it’s not so much Facebook per se, that catalyzed divisions. It’s digital interactions, which often bypass any social contract. People will say things on line they would never say in person. Yes, Facebook has “connected the world” (part of its original mission) but in doing it digitally, it has disconnected people, made many of them hard of listening, and closed minds because it does not transmit a social contract that binds people.