Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 11:21 AM

Kmc

Has anyone tried this KMC mini chain tool? 25g claimed weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg kmc tool.jpeg (4.5 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
That looks pretty much like the perfect addition to one of these other minimalist tools.

The one thing I noticed when watching the product video is that it looks like you can’t see the back end so you don’t push the pin out of the back plate altogether.

I wonder how it plays out in real life.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
Looks like a CLEVER

https://cleverstandard.com/
Old 05-14-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Looks like a CLEVER

Hmmm... I’ve got a hunch KMC may have licensed some tools from them. There a few other matching products in their respective lineups.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:50 PM

In my hundred of thousands of miles riding a bicycle in my life I have only needed a chaintool once. With quick links why would anyone ever need one???
Old 05-14-2021, 02:13 PM

My ultra minimalist multi tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
In my hundred of thousands of miles riding a bicycle in my life I have only needed a chaintool once. With quick links why would anyone ever need one???

If you break a chain, you have to remove an outer link in order to use the quick link. Hence the need for a rivet tool.

Last edited by MikeD; 05-14-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:24 PM

looks cool

Last edited by Mikej; 05-14-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
That looks pretty much like the perfect addition to one of these other minimalist tools.
I wonder how it plays out in real life.
Yah, this is one of my concerns. When the tool (hex key, chain tool, whatever) is so small that you have a hard time getting a good grip on it or applying sufficient torque (ESPECIALLY in the cold) what good is it?

I need it to work.

In backpacking there's what's known as "light", "super light", and "stupid light" (gone too far).

I believe that similar conditions exist in cycling, whether with weight, fragility, size, practicality, or other.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Back in the days of 3X mtb systems and chainsuck, broken chains happened occasionally requiring a chain tool for disassembly and repair. With today's 1X drivetrains it's pretty rare but sh*t still happens. On the east coast there is always the chance of sticks etc in the drivetrain. I still always carry one for myself and others.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:47 PM
Randomhead

I needed a chain tool once. Didn't have a quick link so we just fixed the chain the old fashioned way. Made it 200 km then I swapped chains.

The only other time I might have needed a chain tool, the quick link broke and I didn't have a chain tool or a quick link. That was a long walk over a mountain pushing my fatbike. Never assume you aren't going to have a problem on bike just because it's new.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I've only needed one myself once: A hit and run bush took out my rear derailleur and hangar about 60 miles from home.

A quick link won't get you out of that mess, but shortening the chain and going single speed will.

However, having a chain tool has saved the day on a few rides when out with others who are less prepared.

I suppose if you have a good bailout plan (spouse, uber, etc) your tolerance for roadside repairs may be lower than some.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:16 PM

I’ve never needed one in the similar hundreds Ks of miles.

I only have one now to minimize the risk of being stranded in the desert.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Looks like a CLEVER

Those are crazy.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I needed a chain tool once. Didn't have a quick link so we just fixed the chain the old fashioned way. Made it 200 km then I swapped chains.

The only other time I might have needed a chain tool, the quick link broke and I didn't have a chain tool or a quick link. That was a long walk over a mountain pushing my fatbike. Never assume you aren't going to have a problem on bike just because it's new.
Yeah, this. You don't need it until you need it. You can go thousands of miles without such a need, but if you need a chain tool and you don't have one, well...

I've used one on the road 2 or three times in decades, and was glad I had it when I needed it.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’ve never needed one in the similar hundreds Ks of miles.

I only have one now to minimize the risk of being stranded in the desert.
Now that quick links are common, I agree that chain tools aren't as essential as they used to be. In case of a chain breakage, you may still need to remove the broken link to use a quicklink - but because the link you have to remove is now just connected by a single pin, you can sometimes pry the plates apart with some other tool (it doesn't matter if you mangle the plates or the pin, since you'll be replacing them the quick link). But a chain tool does make the job easier.

As far as the frequency of chain breakage, I think I've broken a chain on a road bike maybe 2 or 3 times in the past nearly 40 years. I've seen a number of other people with broken chains in that time, though.

The MTB is different - here broken chains is one of the more common failures. I sizeable stick caught in the spokes can snap derailleurs, spokes, and chains. Small chainrings increase chain forces, increasing the chances of chain breakage. I've broken a fair number of chains on my MTB. Before quick links, a chain tool was a necessity in a portable tool kit for an MTB. Even now they are still good to have.