Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-12-2021, 01:07 PM

Getting out over the front wheel?!

Hi everyone.

So look, I'm not an expert on bike fit at all. But I've noticed that the more I'm out over my front wheel, the better my bikes behave.

- Trouble descending? Get out over the front wheel.
- Intense climb? Get out over the front wheel.
- Sharp turn? Get out over the front wheel.

With that in mind, I've generally tried to make sure that in my normal riding position, on the hoods, that my hands are more or less vertical directly over the front axle.

The problem is that I acquired a new bike frame that I think is a little too big for me. Instead of the 120mm stem it came with, I'm more comfortable in the 80mm range. Predictably, though, this pushes my hands back to where they're no longer over the front axle at all. And it's my feeling that this is making the steering suffer - it's no longer intuitive on sharp descents or turns.

What do you all think of this? Is it optimal to have the weight over the front axle? Or should I just ride the thing at 80mm? Is it my imagination that having my weight further back is affecting things negatively? Do I give up and sell the darn thing? Would be interested on your opinions on bike fit and where the weight should go over that front wheel.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 PM

My weight dist'n is the primary factor that dictates fore-aft position for me. If I can raise my hands up off the bar tops and not fall forward while pushing a ~mid-gear up a gentle grade, than I'm in pretty good shape.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:01 PM
NJ>TN>PDX...

Hard turn in you need to put weight over front more. Another thing is weight the outer pedal in the down position and lean more upper body weight on inside drop or hood in the turn if cutting radius at speed.

Most do this without realizing, or should...