Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemowbz View Post
I love Vittoria Corsa variants for road riding. I'd be curious how the Controls rate compared to some of the other noted options in terms of puncture protection and durability off-road. I see some positive comments here - and don't have the experience to comment on that myself.

I have a set of Corsa 28mm on my 3T Strada, and a set of Corsa Control 28mm on my TCR. I have swapped the wheel sets between the bikes, as well as a third set of deeper wheels with GP5000TL. I honestly like the feel of the Vittoria stuff more than the Contis. I couldn't really put a finger on just what it is about the Vittorias over the Contis, but they feel a bit smoother, and grippier. And the Corsa Control doesn't feel much slower than the other two, and just from appearance, would certainly offer a bit more grip, and puncture protection.
Bicycle Rolling Resistance largely confirms this, with the Control version only being only a watt /2% slower, and only 10 grams heavier. Those two options are only two or three watts slower than the GP5000's.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:46 PM

The new conti gp5k TR will be available in tanwall as well as blackwall, and they're adding 30c to the mix. Vittoria's are fine but they last me about 1/3 as long as the gp5ktls do, so I'm on conti.. conti grand prix 5000s tr
Old 10-12-2021, 11:02 PM

Have heard great things about the Rene Herse tires. Haven’t tried the 32s yet, but looking to get a pair for the upcoming winter.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4life View Post
Get RH Stampedes and use them tubeless
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...stampede-pass/
"The Stampede Pass requires tubes."

I think it is unwise to recommend tubeless setup when the manufacturer says that they require tubes.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:46 PM

I guess so, please don't use them as tubeless unless you are Ted King and need to race them for 200 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrabbi View Post
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...stampede-pass/
"The Stampede Pass requires tubes."

I think it is unwise to recommend tubeless setup when the manufacturer says that they require tubes.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I guess so, please don't use them as tubeless unless you are Ted King and need to race them for 200 miles.
I think you may find Ted uses a wider tire that is tubeless compatible... (hatcher pass 48mm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted king.jpg (31.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-13-2021, 03:39 PM

https://www.iamtedking.com/blog/roll...iy-bwr-round-2

Regardless, please don't use them as tubeless if you don't feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I think you may find Ted uses a wider tire that is tubeless compatible... (hatcher pass 48mm)
Old 10-13-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
There he writes:

I freaking love that bike and was stoked to put some 32c Rene Herse Stampede tires on, jury rig them to be tubeless, and tear my way across Vermont.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:19 PM

Rene Herse's tubeless approved tires are a big enough bear to get set up, I can't even fathom trying that.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:49 PM

Anyone with experience on the ENVE SES 29 or 31mm tires?
Old 10-23-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Rene Herse's tubeless approved tires are a big enough bear to get set up, I can't even fathom trying that.
Really? I did it a few months back. I think I might have taken 10 minutes to install the Stampedes in my Ultra WTOs with the help of an extra tube and a Lezyne pressure over drive pump.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:25 AM

Panaracer’s tubeless tires all seem to have bead consistency problems. Even two of the same model from the same run will have vastly different setup experiences. They almost never mount without at least a second wrap of tape. Using a tube helps but pretty much every other brand of tires don’t need one to get a bead set. Then you have RH’s sealant seepage to deal with.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Panaracer’s tubeless tires all seem to have bead consistency problems. Even two of the same model from the same run will have vastly different setup experiences. They almost never mount without at least a second wrap of tape. Using a tube helps but pretty much every other brand of tires don’t need one to get a bead set. Then you have RH’s sealant seepage to deal with.
I am not sure "every other brand" don't need tubes to install as the wheel's rim is also a factor.
But yeah, the seepage is a bit annoying on EL/standard casings.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:56 PM

The Supple Vitesse are really nice riding and affordable, but not tubeless, IFAIK. They are really supple, but on the lightest models only offer RH-extralite like durability. I just wore clean through the center tread of their 650b model, but it did get me ~3000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...?category=2790

BiciSonora said the 33mm measured 31mm on 17-ID rims. Worth a shot at $30/ea...
Old 10-23-2021, 04:01 PM

This is the opposite of my experience with Panaracer Gravel Kings--I've set them up with a floor pump on a range of tubeless rims and they have not weeped or lost air and have lasted a long time. And they are cheap enough that I'm not scared of killing them on some hidden road debris. The brand that has given me nothing but trouble is WTB--my 650b x 47 Horizons leak around the bead and I've heard that is a problem with that model. That said, both brands make a lot of tire models so maybe generalizing isn't fair. I know some love WTB tires.

Quote: