Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 01:35 PM

30-32c Tanwall Tubeless Tires?

Looking for a new pair of shoes for the Ellis and was wondering what folks recommended for a decent tan wall tubeless tire. Looking for a balance of decently supple/light but with reasonable puncture protection. I've had bad luck with Compass in the past, so not really looking to shell out that cash. Gravel Kings also looks good, though I'd like to be able to run pressures a bit higher than the 60 psi they recommend at times. Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss look to be an option, but what else is out there?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:38 PM
Administrator

there are a lot out there.

i'm rolling a set of WTB Expanse on one bike right now and tthey are pretty nice tires.

lots more though!

Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM

Vittoria Corsa Control in 30 get's my vote!

Old 02-02-2021, 01:45 PM

Personally I'd stay away from WTB and Gravel Kings. Just a really high rate of failure tubeless. I've had customers and people I ride with have so so many problems with both those tires, and I personally can't stand anything about the slick gravelkings. I would try the small knob SK model though.

I'm pretty certain you can get the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless in 30 and 32mm tanwall. The Vittoria Corsa is expanded to 32c, but if you want tanwall you gotta run tubes at the moment. New Enve tires look neat but not sure they're as nice or comfortable as other options. Specialized tires are great too. To be honest running over 60psi in anything wider than 30 tubeless sounds a little high, though might be appropriate depending on your size and conditions.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:45 PM

Definitely digging the 700x32 GravelKings. They are a bit wider than 33mm on i19 rims. I'm 180-185# and have been running them just under and over 50psi.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr
Old 02-02-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
Looking for a new pair of shoes for the Ellis and was wondering what folks recommended for a decent tan wall tubeless tire. Looking for a balance of decently supple/light but with reasonable puncture protection. I've had bad luck with Compass in the past, so not really looking to shell out that cash. Gravel Kings also looks good, though I'd like to be able to run pressures a bit higher than the 60 psi they recommend at times. Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss look to be an option, but what else is out there?
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...?category=2790

BiciSonora said the 33mm measured 31mm on 17-ID rims. Worth a shot at $30/ea...
Old 02-02-2021, 02:05 PM

Vittoria Corsa Controls in 30C are a wonderful tire for cushier ride on road, and some pave/packed dirt adventures. I have had great luck with the 28's on my Bedford in the past, and put a set of 30's on my soon-to-be father-in-law's bike which he was thrilled with.

Another option in 30 (that tend to blow up nearer to 32) are the Challenge Strada Biancas. I have loved these tires on my Boone when I was riding that as my primary winter bike, and for packed dirt and road rides. Have had great luck with the tubed version, with the only real downside being that they tend to wear down and start to feel sluggish after 800-1000miles. I have a set of the tubeless 33 version that's getting installed this weekend on the Boone to replace the Mavic tires, so I'll update once those are on.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM

GKs all the way
Old 02-02-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
GKs all the way
First and last answer to question posed.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:59 PM

Another vote for GK's here...got 2000 miles on a pair with Stans
Old 02-02-2021, 04:04 PM

Challenge Strada Bianca handmade TLR are available in both 30 and 33.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:12 PM

I would go with Wattvagen and ltwtsculler91 in voting for the Vittoria Corsa Control in 30's. Lovely for ride and grip, and I have found the puncture protection to be reasonable.

I'd steer clear of the Supple Vitesse if you want any puncture protection. I tried them for a bit a couple years ago and had punctures from debris as mundane as small rocks on the road.

Last edited by Toddtwenty2; 02-02-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:32 PM

A selection of good options noted here already.

Teravail Ramparts are a nice, widely-available 700x32 tanwall option not yet noted. I think the 'durable' version is only available in all-black in this size, but the 'light and supple' version is still more substantial than some of the super supple/lightweight tires out there (strikes a good balance, imho).

GKs - as suggested by several folks above - are a solid choice as well, in my opinion. Have encountered some GKs (in various versions) that didn't set up well tubeless, but it's a small percentage.

I love Vittoria Corsa variants for road riding. I'd be curious how the Controls rate compared to some of the other noted options in terms of puncture protection and durability off-road. I see some positive comments here - and don't have the experience to comment on that myself.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemowbz View Post
A selection of good options noted here already.

Teravail Ramparts are a nice, widely-available 700x32 tanwall option not yet noted. I think the 'durable' version is only available in all-black in this size, but the 'light and supple' version is still more substantial than some of the super supple/lightweight tires out there (strikes a good balance, imho).

GKs - as suggested by several folks above - are a solid choice as well, in my opinion. Have encountered some GKs (in various versions) that didn't set up well tubeless, but it's a small percentage.

I love Vittoria Corsa variants for road riding. I'd be curious how the Controls rate compared to some of the other noted options in terms of puncture protection and durability off-road. I see some positive comments here - and don't have the experience to comment on that myself.
I was looking at the ramparts as well, thanks for that rec!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Specialized Roubaix Pro fit the Bill. Roll decent, pretty stout, set up easy.