Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Compression socks?

It's been a few years since these were discussed. Fashion police, please skip to the next thread.

I've developed varicose veins on the lower left leg which I'm guessing is due to the muscle loss from the herniated disc nerve damage. Doc sez use compression socks. I just ordered some from Pro Compression on a friend's recommendation - I got the mystery grab bag, so hoping for some wild patterns!

How do you use them? While riding? Afterwards? All the time?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:54 AM

subscribed. Knee replacement coming up early Sep and compression stockings are part of the recovery process. Have to stock up....

Added: some cool graphics. Think I can pretend this "Maryland" pattern is really for Belgium? Was so hoping for a Lion of Flanders version - ha!

Last edited by teleguy57; 08-10-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:54 AM
Strong Walker

Without a clinical condition, the body already has a system in place for getting the bloodstream back to the heart going, its called blood pressure and i guess its rather higher than normal when riding a bike at a HR of 130 or more, but i'm a layman
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM

Arent these called 'anti embollism' stockings when you dont want to pay that much lol?

My point is - depending on what level of compression you need, you could just go walmart maybe and pick up anti embollism stockings or go online and get them a lot cheaper than that site @ $50. wow.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Sale price - three pairs for $45, not so horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooneej View Post
Arent these called 'anti embollism' stockings when you dont want to pay that much lol?

My point is - depending on what level of compression you need, you could just go walmart maybe and pick up anti embollism stockings or go online and get them a lot cheaper than that site @ $50. wow.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Slowtwitch forum is down the hall to your left
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I have a set of 2XU recovery socks (Very tight) and a set of compression socks (tight and firm). They are nice for longer runs or recovery, but they are knee high and not cycling appropriate.

I also have a set of 2XU recovery leg sleeves, full length and they are super nice to throw on after a ride.
https://www.wiggle.com/2xu-flex-reco...on-leg-sleeves

I've also owned a set of normatecs but wasnt thrilled with the cost/benefit so i sold them.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:25 PM

Picked up a few pair following foot surgery a few years ago, assorted argyle patterns as that was the alternative to a plain color. Used them for riding while healing (the swelling took a year or so to totally disappear), but put them away afterwards, pulling them out only for long flights after a friend ended up with DVT. They're still somewhere in the bottom drawer.....
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM

I wear knee high socks in Pro Compression and Swiftwick socks cycling, running, flying, long drives, and recovering. I prefer my Swiftwick due to the colors - solid bright pink or purple depending on my mood and day.

I also have compression tights that I wear around the house and run in compression shorts. Back in the day, I raced in calf sleeves and arm sleeves particularly for CX.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM

I don't have your issues, but I take long haul flights often (at least before covid) and swore on wearing compression socks on the flight.

I also recommend wearing compression socks for long drives. It makes a big difference..

I'd ask the doctor when and how he wants you to wear these. I suspect if the veins are bad, the doctor may want you to put these on first thing in the morning. My father is 82 and that's what he does.

Smartwool makes some nice patterned compression socks although a bit pricey.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Depending on the size of your legs

My wife started using these for longer drives and flights.
She finally coaxed me to try them for a flight from Boston to Paris. Had a layover in Dublin and rolled them down to my ankles...my calves were KILLING me. The bunch/roll at my ankle even left bruising after a short period of time.
I've got substantial legs (my first year teaching, one of my students exclaimed, those aren't calves, those are COWS), but I'd encourage some thought on how tight is tight enough.

My wife has muscular, but finer-boned legs. She certainly does fine with the tighter ones, but has found that she prefers Bombas iteration of compression socks the most. She says that they're just-right tight....though I suspect that they have a fairly finite lifespan.

I'll double-back to see what you think of your Pro Compression and maybe grab some for my wife. Romantics at heart, that's exactly the sort of gift we tend to get each other
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Sale price - three pairs for $45, not so horrible
Where do you see that pricing? Thx!
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Did you notice that Pro Compression has Wide Calf versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
My wife started using these for longer drives and flights.
She finally coaxed me to try them for a flight from Boston to Paris. Had a layover in Dublin and rolled them down to my ankles...my calves were KILLING me. The bunch/roll at my ankle even left bruising after a short period of time.
I've got substantial legs (my first year teaching, one of my students exclaimed, those aren't calves, those are COWS), but I'd encourage some thought on how tight is tight enough.

My wife has muscular, but finer-boned legs. She certainly does fine with the tighter ones, but has found that she prefers Bombas iteration of compression socks the most. She says that they're just-right tight....though I suspect that they have a fairly finite lifespan.

I'll double-back to see what you think of your Pro Compression and maybe grab some for my wife. Romantics at heart, that's exactly the sort of gift we tend to get each other
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM

They have a Grab Bag sale - how could I resist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Where do you see that pricing? Thx!
Old 08-10-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Added: some cool graphics. Think I can pretend this "Maryland" pattern is really for Belgium? Was so hoping for a Lion of Flanders version - ha!]
I don't know if these are real compression socks that actually do the job or not, but...

https://www.amazon.com/Belgium-JP-No.../dp/B0777P2C91

https://www.amazon.com/FUNINDIY-Orig.../dp/B077N5TF15

And in the non-compression category...

Lion of Flanders socks

From an amazon review, "Great patterns and colors usually last 6-8 seasons of riding"

Last edited by reuben; 08-10-2020 at 04:58 PM.