Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-19-2016, 07:55 AM

Gaulzetti Cabrón Disc

Here's my Gaulzetti Cabron Disc. My first "custom" bike in terms of builder and geo. It's amazing to finally be on a bike that fits so well and it's an absolute blast to ride.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

oooooooooooooo

sooooooooooooooooooo nice.......

hope you enjoy many miles on that! great looking build.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM

This thing is beautiful. I bet it rides like butter!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:41 PM

Amazing. Are those 160 rotors front and rear?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 PM

Super sleek and looks like you could do anything on it. Very cool.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 AM

That's an incredible bike. Enjoy it. Best wishes for many happy miles.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Category VI

Love the paint. Ride her in good health.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Can you tell us about the build??
Old 03-21-2016, 03:22 PM

That, sir, is a very nice bike
Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 PM

The bike is close to a stock Cabrón but I asked for a little more bottom bracket drop and tad shorter chainstays so that it would handle more like a road bike versus a true CX bike.

Otherwise the build is Di2 hydro with Zipp stem and ENVE compact bars. I went with my go to SLR saddle and the wheels are DT Swiss 240 CL with ENVE XC rims. Tires are Compass Bon Jon Pass set up tubeless but I'm moving those to another set of wheels I recently finished and putting some Schwalbe tubeless tires on here.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
The bike is close to a stock Cabrón but I asked for a little more bottom bracket drop and tad shorter chainstays so that it would handle more like a road bike versus a true CX bike.

Otherwise the build is Di2 hydro with Zipp stem and ENVE compact bars. I went with my go to SLR saddle and the wheels are DT Swiss 240 CL with ENVE XC rims. Tires are Compass Bon Jon Pass set up tubeless but I'm moving those to another set of wheels I recently finished and putting some Schwalbe tubeless tires on here.
I think Craig referenced this bike when I ordered my Ultraline (he mentioned having done more mixed-used interpretations of the cx platform in the past). He took it in the other direction with the chainstays for mine- longer, rather than shorter, to accommodate the confluence of 142x12 spacing, heel clearance, and 40mm tire clearance with a double crank. Of course, for me at 6'5" a cm of extra chainstay doesn't affect handling the way it would on a smaller bike. I keep coming back to the this thread as I anticipate my own 'zetti.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 PM

I've been watching your thread as well, very excited to see it built up. I do kinda wish I had thru axle on the rear (fork is easy to convert) for consistency but it does allow me to keep using some old XTR hubs. That's the only thing I waver on with it. Otherwise it's the perfect combination of comfortable ride with Compass tires or as it's about to switch to a summer set up, a snappy all road bike that will run with the big guns.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:29 AM

I wonder if you might share some of your thinking about this bike. You don't see too many custom aluminum disc road plus bikes. What motivated the choice of aluminum? Road-feel? weight? Are there downsides in your view? Is longevity an issue? I am considering bike like yours and am searching for some compass points as face a wide-open field. Thanks in advance for the advice? Also, you mention using XTR hubs? Can you say more about this? I thought Shimano 11speed road cassettes didn't fit on XTR hubs, unless you have a set of current generation (11 speed) XTR hubs.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 PM

For my first custom bike, I didn't want steel. I was concerned steel wouldn't have enough snap. And since it was my first custom, I didn't want to spring for carbon or titanium till I felt like I had a sense of what I wanted.

The other big factor was the Gaulzetti reputation. I did some local racing when I was younger and I wanted a bike that handled more like a racing bike. Everything that I read about Gaulzetti was about bikes that handled like they were on rails.

So ultimately, this was a chance to get a bike that I believed would handle like a race bike in fast group rides, be reasonable light, and relatively reasonably priced, while letting me take the first dip into a geometry that I though would suit me better than stock bikes. To add a bonus, I could also stick fat tires on it for gravel, or even some tubbies if I decided to reminisce in a cross race. Ultimately, I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM

Oh, and on the XTR hubs, they are 10 speed but I will use an Edco cassette to go 11 speed when I get them built back up.