Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 05:13 PM

Smile

Since I have not posted enough here, you can look at the eBay link and store - you'll eventually see a lot of very cool things, Serottas, etc. Don was a huge fan of lugged steel construction, Titanium and a little Carbon between Kestrel and Parlee. Again, my best to you all.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:34 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMarquart View Post
Actually - it is a sad story. One of your avid "posters" "SlowGoing" was a dear friend of mine. He unfortunately passed in late April. His wife died in 2012 and they left behind a 26 year old son - great "kid". He had amassed a collection of many frames, parts, full and partial bids. A predator came in and tried to low ball the entire collection. Thankfully, I was present, and the son knew better - so I offered to help him sell the collection...so a lot of the items are in storage, others are in my office. And, both SlowGoing and I are lawyers - hence the backdrop.

99% were 54 cm frames.

I am always open to questions, but due to my limited involvement here, I have not been able to post anything.

My best to all of you.

I am sad to read this news.
My belated condolences to his family.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Actually - it is a sad story. One of your avid "posters" "SlowGoing" was a dear friend of mine. He unfortunately passed in late April. His wife died in 2012 and they left behind a 26 year old son - great "kid". He had amassed a collection of many frames, parts, full and partial bids. A predator came in and tried to low ball the entire collection. Thankfully, I was present, and the son knew better - so I offered to help him sell the collection...so a lot of the items are in storage, others are in my office. And, both SlowGoing and I are lawyers - hence the backdrop.

99% were 54 cm frames.

I am always open to questions, but due to my limited involvement here, I have not been able to post anything.

My best to all of you.
First off, my condolences to you for your loss and also to the family, terrible news. Sincerely, I am sorry to hear this.

Since you are taking on this project in memory of one of our forum members, I think we can upgrade your account to list items for sale here if you wish. It's entirely up to you, whatever is easier for you; I'm sure this is a difficult task.

Cheers, and thanks for checking in.

-Nick
Old 10-26-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
First off, my condolences to you for your loss and also to the family, terrible news. Sincerely, I am sorry to hear this.

Since you are taking on this project in memory of one of our forum members, I think we can upgrade your account to list items for sale here if you wish. It's entirely up to you, whatever is easier for you; I'm sure this is a difficult task.

Cheers, and thanks for checking in.

-Nick
Nick - thank you for the offer. I will gladly take you up on this as many of the people in this forum will probably have an interest in the items as we list them. Whether it is pure curiosity or a potential sale - that doesn't matter. I have had the joy of working with Don's son during this process. Don was a mechanical engineer turned lawyer (as am I) and I have now had the chance to learn some of the preferences he had established with various frame builders. Ultimately, he was Serotta first - and then the rest. As we began to inventory the collection, and climb the learning curve, I read nearly every post he had placed here. He undoubtedly was a fan/friend of the forum, and your kind words and offer are deeply appreciated. I will pass this along to his son, Grant. My very best, Jeff
Old 10-26-2021, 07:40 PM

Jeff-any relation to Mandy?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:

99% were 54 cm frames.

My best to all of you.
I'm very sorry to hear about the circumstances of the sales. That's really too bad. Slowgoing had been a contributing member here for over 17 years! It's sad when we lose a member of our community - especially one that had been engaged for as long as he had been. Please extend our condolences to his son.

Texbike
Old 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Administrator

JRMarquart -- Check your PM's.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:51 PM

Sad to read this, but brings back memories of the Coors Light Serotta that he sold a few years back....beautiful bike, was just too small for me!

Actually came across the XXX Lite wheels that are posted as I considered doing a project build of Hincapie's 2003 USPS team frameset, but just can't pencil it out....will have to find some other versions to fit the budget.

Best of luck with the sale(s).
Old 10-27-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:

99% were 54 cm frames.

My best to all of you.

Very sorry to hear the news of his passing. GLWS of the frames/bikes, and I hope you’ll stick around for some of the discussions and banter around here.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:58 PM
#RYFB

Adding my condolences and respect for you (and his son) being good humans.

Speaking of good humans, once again our mods step in to do the right thing, attaboy(s) (and don't mean to be genderist, I am under the impression that we don't have any women mods).
Old 10-28-2021, 12:28 AM

Very sorry to hear that. RIP to your friend. I hope he enjoyed a life well lived.

If that Z1 head tube was smaller I'd be all over it. Gorgeous frame, best of the best in its day and still the cat's meow.

Quote:

99% were 54 cm frames.

My best to all of you.

Last edited by 54ny77; 10-28-2021 at 12:30 AM.