Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Nick's point about dropping loose bits is so right on! I have the Wolftooth multi-tool. and it's cool on some levels, but the loose bits are problematic. I really like my Fix Wheelie Wrench Pro, even though it's slightly heavier.
I had a wolf tooth (stolen with bike!) and dropped the bits a few times but never lost them.

I now have the multi tool that came with the one up pump. It is tiny, well made and worked quite well on a seatpost a few days ago. I keep it in a bag on my bike rather than the tool mount inside the pump as I find all but the tool heavy and not as good as a separate tool I have for chain and tires.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I must say, in all my years of riding I've never ever broken a chain. It didn't even really occur to me that this was a thing. Those of you that carry a chain tool, do you also carry quick-links or an extra link or something everywhere as well for a quick repair?
I wish I could say the same, because it's generally the result of bad maintenance. The one time I really needed one, I didn't have a multi tool and no quick link. Which in that case was all I needed because the quick link was what broke.

The other thing I have needed on a bike that no multitool has is the shimano star wrench to preload bearings. It's really difficult to get a shimano crank to hold without that. Although that's also a result of bad maintenance.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:07 PM

I like that the Daysaver tool mimics the length of an allen wrench, so you can easily access various bolt heads and actually turn them.

Have you ever used a bulky multi tool to adjust a seat binder bolt…they just don’t fit that working space easily. Lots of 1/4 turns is annoying. So instead, give me something that is longer and less bulky but also multifunctional and compact.

Instagram
Old 10-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
I've found this Topeak Alien II multi-tool to be quite useful, usable, complete and compact. It weighs 290 grams, which is not nothing, but it's also laid out well and has most everything one would need even if a lot of stuff goes wrong on a ride.
"If you've never missed a flight, you're spending too much time in airports"
Old 10-04-2021, 03:11 PM

they happen when they happen

A friend broke a new/2nd ride SRAM mtb chain last week -not at the master link. I had a chain tool. It was 85* but we had a redwood canopy so I was ok.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:29 PM

I've probably posted this already (since I quite like it!) but this isnt that much bigger than the daysaver but i suppose the case could be a deal breaker. no chain tool though.

https://www.mineralbikes.com/shop/mini-bar-multi-tool
Old 10-04-2021, 04:40 PM

FYI, if anyone's using TRP Spyres (warning about them) the pad adjuster will require a 3mm hex key that's longer than a centimeter.

I'd make sure any bolts can be accessed by whichever multitool you choose.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturd View Post
I've probably posted this already (since I quite like it!) but this isnt that much bigger than the daysaver but i suppose the case could be a deal breaker. no chain tool though.

https://www.mineralbikes.com/shop/mini-bar-multi-tool
I had one of those. The Daysaver is nicer and better quality. The spurcycle tool is similar and also superior in terms of quality and feel.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I like that the Daysaver tool mimics the length of an allen wrench, so you can easily access various bolt heads and actually turn them.

Have you ever used a bulky multi tool to adjust a seat binder bolt…they just don’t fit that working space easily. Lots of 1/4 turns is annoying. So instead, give me something that is longer and less bulky but also multifunctional and compact.
This is what I love about the Daysaver and hate about bulky multitools. You can use it like a tool bc it has the form factor of a standard tool.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
FYI, if anyone's using TRP Spyres (warning about them) the pad adjuster will require a 3mm hex key that's longer than a centimeter.

I'd make sure any bolts can be accessed by whichever multitool you choose.
Yeah, Jeez, that happened to me on my TRP Spyres. I have to change the pads on that bike for winter anyway, I think I'll be getting out the blue Loctite as well...
Old 10-12-2021, 09:35 AM

looks like the fellas at Daysaver have launched their accompanying tire iron, chain breaker, milk frother tool. So cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=thanks-copy
Old 10-27-2021, 08:50 PM

This arrived today. I ordered it late last Friday and it shipped from Germany.

I also got the bottle cage mount. All pieces are very well made, and work as expected. I’m impressed though still feel the price is painful.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
This arrived today. I ordered it late last Friday and it shipped from Germany.

I also got the bottle cage mount. All pieces are very well made, and work as expected. I’m impressed though still feel the price is painful.

Same here.

It arrived. It’s a great fidget in addition to being a slick tool.

I am a sucker for clever streamlined design.

Instagram
Old 10-30-2021, 09:41 AM

Bought a Topeak PT-30 last night on Ebay. Top rated with everything I need. Weight around 175 grams. The thing that sold me was the chain breaker that really looks like the best out there on a multi tool.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:07 AM

The Daysaver stuff is really impressive, thank you for sharing!

Jody