Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 AM

Suspend the rollers up in the air with some rope rigging?

I wonder if that would help standing up on the rollers too? Hmmmm

How about a nice concrete pad out doors where it's freezing cold? Seriously that has always been the best way for me to ride the rollers. You are nice and warm in 5 minutes. Of course if you are Zwifting or some other virtual world then that idea is out.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Of course if you are Zwifting or some other virtual world then that idea is out.
all you really need is an extension cord 😬 thinking of doing it this fall/winter
Old 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
How about a nice concrete pad out doors where it's freezing cold? Seriously that has always been the best way for me to ride the rollers. =
That would be ideal, temperature management wise. I just can't get over the thought of setting up rollers for everybody walking past the building to watch. Maybe that's just something I need to deal with mentally....
Old 10-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturd View Post
Odd question but could you do it on the balcony? Would that make any difference?
Don't have one, would be nice though. Do have a fire escape, but reluctant to try it there, since I don't know how well maintained it is.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:41 AM

you could just set up a littler screen or tarp outside if you’re embarrassed. nobody will think anything of it though. people exercise outside all the time! if your only access is a fire escape
you may not want to do this though for safety reasons.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
That would be ideal, temperature management wise. I just can't get over the thought of setting up rollers for everybody walking past the building to watch. Maybe that's just something I need to deal with mentally....
1+ on the temp management part. No need for any fans or a sweat mat. And the worms never complain about the noise...

Have been down to a T-shirt, but only after 20-30 min of a good workout. Usually start with typical autumn ride stuff and then shed layers as the core warms.

However if it was me, I'd keep lobbying the super about using the basement. Maybe a 6-pack of really good beer would help.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:54 AM

It's hard to separate vibration and sound. Years ago I was involved in the construction of an audio lab (think of a recording studio on steroids). The concrete slab was cut around to isolate it from the building foundation. The air conditioner on the roof was relocated and put on shock absorbers, with rubber bellows between the ductwork. It was basically a room suspended in the middle of the building.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
How about a nice concrete pad out doors where it's freezing cold? Seriously that has always been the best way for me to ride the rollers. You are nice and warm in 5 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
I've done it. When they were renovating the exercise facility in February one year, it was closed. I set up my rollers in the parking lot, at night, next to my car Since I couldn't see my bike computer, I put my alarm clock on the car's hood. Guy walks by and says, "You're dedicated!"

Seriously, while you generate some good heat regardless of the air temps, you will have to shed clothing, but your handlebars and brake levers will be wicked cold; you'll have to wear full-fingered gloves. You also have to find a level spot to place the rollers. This is much easier if you use a trainer.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:19 AM

A follow up question: have folks found the same problems with direct drive trainers like a kickr?