Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Kirk, on a Serotta of that vintage the serial number would be stamped on the steertube.
Good to know, thank you. I'll be disassembling the bike this evening, and will post a picture of the serial number.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
I also have an all-original* Club Special. Was a barn find; supposedly with just a couple hundred miles on it. I just started tearing it down to do a full restoration on it. I have yet to find a serial number on it...
That looks to be in great shape. What are your plans for it? Mine is also red with yellow decals. I need to get it out and have another look at it. Can't remember if it has the seat tube decal or not.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
That looks to be in great shape. What are your plans for it? Mine is also red with yellow decals. I need to get it out and have another look at it. Can't remember if it has the seat tube decal or not.

Thanks, Oliver. The plan is to resto-mod the bike. I'll keep it as original as possible, with the exception of certain items. No value in vintage cables, right? (housing...???)

I will repaint the frame a period correct shade of silver add new / correct decals, deep clean / lightly polish the good parts, replace some the worn parts with correct NOS components. Maybe do some 'drillium' on the brake levers and chainrings.

I will likely sell the bike with two sets of wheels. I plan to keep the current tubular wheels original, but also build a NOS set of Nuovo Record hubs with period correct clinchers for someone who might actually want to ride the bike.

The bike is in great shape as-is, but I've never ridden it (too small), and it deserves to be restored to it's former glory and owned by someone who likes to ride / own vintage bikes. I'm mostly a full-sus MTB rider these days...

I will probably do a professional photo shoot of the bike afterwards for a keepsake, and a framed copy for the buyer.

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 05-24-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Oliver. The plan is to resto-mod the bike. I'll keep it as original as possible, with the exception of certain items. No value in vintage cables, right? (housing...???)

I will repaint the frame a period correct shade of silver add new / correct decals, deep clean / lightly polish the good parts, replace some the worn parts with correct NOS components. Maybe do some 'drillium' on the brake levers and chainrings.

I will likely sell the bike with two sets of wheels. I plan to keep the current tubular wheels original, but also build a NOS set of Nuovo Record hubs with period correct clinchers for someone who might actually want to ride the bike.

The bike is in great shape as-is, but I've never ridden it (too small), and it deserves to be restored to it's former glory and owned by someone who likes to ride / own vintage bikes. I'm mostly a full-sus MTB rider these days...

I will probably do a professional photo shoot of the bike afterwards for a keepsake, and a framed copy for the buyer.
I'm surprised that you are going to do that much work on a bike that is too small for you to ride, but it's great to see that level of commitment for the project. I wish I had something to contribute. I do have some NOS 144 BCD Super Record rings. Also some nice used Sugino rings that are already drilled. Too bad that your wheels are tubular, as I have a half built pair of wheels with high flange NR hubs and NOS Record Crono tubular rims.

Let us know if you find a serial number on the fork. I associate that seat tube decal with early to mid 1980s but none of my catalogs show it. I have a catalog from 1986 or 1987 (pictured). Club Specials were still being made then, but all the pictures in the catalog show the chevron decal style which definitely came later than the ones on your frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987-QQQ.jpg (71.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:48 AM
Shoegazer

What a cool restoration project. An aero frame like that needs a Stronglight 107 with a dinner plate chainring and aero bolts.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
. An aero frame like that needs a Stronglight 107 with a dinner plate chainring and aero bolts.
Serving plate...
Old 05-25-2021, 02:17 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Talking

Quote:
. An aero frame like that needs a Stronglight 107 with a dinner plate chainring and aero bolts.
Serving plate... Just sayin..
Old 05-25-2021, 05:49 PM

Serial Number

Here's the serial number.

If I were to take a wild guess, this bike was actually built in 1980, and not 1978. Maybe someone here is more familiar with Serotta's serial numbering system...

The second picture is what I found inside the steer tube. Way back when, every household had a label maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serial number.jpg (50.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg stolen from.jpg (48.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
What a cool restoration project. An aero frame like that needs a Stronglight 107 with a dinner plate chainring and aero bolts.

That would look amazing.

I'm not quite as committed to a restoration myself. I'm hoping whoever the new owner is does appreciate it though, and I do want to let them know about these threads so they can see some background on the bike. I think I've done my job in saving it from more miles as a single speed but I was hoping I could get some appropriate AX parts on it and ride, but I am just not sure about the seatpost situation and I do believe it needs a C type, and not the E type it has.

I have been watching Ebay for one since October when I picked up the bike, but haven't even seen one pop up, so that leads me to believe they are rare, and that if there is someone with one, they might be waiting on a bike like this to pop up to use it.

Anyway, I don't want to promote a sale here, I'm not sure it's against the rules or within the rules, but I'm just letting people know my intentions at this point. I'll still be keeping my eyes out for a Serotta so I can experience the brand.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Here's the serial number.

If I were to take a wild guess, this bike was actually built in 1980, and not 1978. Maybe someone here is more familiar with Serotta's serial numbering system...

The second picture is what I found inside the steer tube. Way back when, every household had a label maker.
At first I thought brilliant idea. Then I thought, what if the owner doesn’t take it out before selling? I’m thinking if I did this to my bikes, I might forget or just be too busy/lazy at the moment.

Both bikes.......what fun mysteries

As far as the OP’s, seems someone went to a lot of trouble to repaint the frame and pass it off as a Serotta, if that’s what happened. Why?

Good mysteries