Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Does not seem brilliant to me. As mentioned before this is not a death penalty crime and she was extradited immediately.

Jeff
I must have misunderstood things. I thought murder in Texas is a death penalty crime. As noted, Costs Rica probably would not likely send someone back to be potentially executed. So seemed like a good idea as a way to avoid the death penalty.

Also very curious in the process used to send her back to US. Was she was extradited or deported? Pretty sure there is a difference. In either case, she seems to have missed a chance to delay US prosecution, but then again prison in Costa Rica may be a worse alternative than prison in Texas.

Last edited by pdonk; 07-05-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I must have misunderstood things. I thought murder in Texas is a death penalty crime.
Capital murder => capital punishment. Not all murders are capital murder.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Capital Murder is the most serious crime in the state of Texas. It is the state’s only offense punishable by death. The state will charge you with Capital Murder if the prosecuting attorneys believe you murdered someone under one of the circumstances that is described by the Capital Murder statute.

Quote:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1) and:

(1) the person murders a peace officer or fireman who is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty and who the person knows is a peace officer or fireman;

(2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or (6);

(3) the person commits the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or employs another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;

(4) the person commits the murder while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal institution;

(5) the person, while incarcerated in a penal institution, murders another:

(A) who is employed in the operation of the penal institution; or

(B) with the intent to establish, maintain, or participate in a combination or in the profits of a combination;

(6) the person:

(A) while incarcerated for an offense under this section or Section 19.02, murders another; or

(B) while serving a sentence of life imprisonment or a term of 99 years for an offense under Section 20.04, 22.021, or 29.03, murders another;

(7) the person murders more than one person:

(A) during the same criminal transaction; or

(B) during different criminal transactions but the murders are committed pursuant to the same scheme or course of conduct;

(8) the person murders an individual under 10 years of age; or

(9) [the person murders an individual 10 years of age or older but younger than 15 years of age; or]

(10) the person murders another person in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of the other person as a judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district court, a constitutional county court, a statutory county court, a justice court, or a municipal court.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:44 AM
Administrator

They could have probably charged her with Capital Murder under the argument she went there to kill Wilson with the intent of retaliation for sleeping with her BF; but that would likely be a harder case for them to make so they did not go for the capital charges, is my guess.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
They could have probably charged her with Capital Murder under the argument she went there to kill Wilson with the intent of retaliation for sleeping with her BF; but that would likely be a harder case for them to make so they did not go for the capital charges, is my guess.
Hmm. If you are referring to bullet 10 it seems clear that it has to be based on the service or status of the murdered person as a judge or justice.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Hmm. If you are referring to bullet 10 it seems clear that it has to be based on the service or status of the murdered person as a judge or justice.
referring to (2)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
They could have probably charged her with Capital Murder under the argument she went there to kill Wilson with the intent of retaliation for sleeping with her BF.
Retaliation in the penal code refers to retaliation against witnesses, informants, judges, etc.; it doesn't apply to her.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Capital murder => capital punishment
Or at least the possibility. Lets see- all capitol murders are necessarily murders, but not conversely. Capitol crimes are eligible for capital punishment. In fact, they are the only such crimes for which one can receive capitol punishment (by definition). On the other hand, not all capital crimes result in capitol punishment. Also, not all capitol crimes are capitol murders... Maybe we need a venn diagram. That and a FAQ sticky for this thread
Old 07-05-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Or at least the possibility. Lets see- all capitol murders are necessarily murders, but not conversely. Capitol crimes are eligible for capital punishment. In fact, they are the only such crimes for which one can receive capitol punishment (by definition). On the other hand, not all capital crimes result in capitol punishment. Also, not all capitol crimes are capitol murders... Maybe we need a venn diagram. That and a FAQ sticky for this thread
and spelling lessons.
1/7 = 14.3% correct usage.

Capital Crimes - carry the death penalty.
Capitol Crimes - occurred in the Capitol.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Everything is connected

Does anybody else believe that Rapha's latest bikepacking film which features Costa Rica, could have perhaps been released at a later time?

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/storie...m_medium=email
Old 07-05-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Does anybody else believe that Rapha's latest bikepacking film which features Costa Rica, could have perhaps been released at a later time?

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/storie...m_medium=email
It came out June 24th, a week before the anyone knew where she was.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Well, the murder took place in Austin, and Austin is the capitol of Texas, so does that make it a capitol crime? And if she serves time in the Austin City Jail, is that capitol punishment? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Registered Uesr

Location: East-Central Mississippi.. it is flat, and we have Pine trees...
I'm just glad they have finally gotten her into custody.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
It came out June 24th, a week before the anyone knew where she was.
I must be low man in the Rapha buyer pool as the Costa Rica film notice arrived in my inbox this morning at 10:26 am Eastern. I thought, Costa Rica, really?
Old 07-05-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I must be low man in the Rapha buyer pool as the Costa Rica film notice arrived in my inbox this morning at 10:26 am Eastern. I thought, Costa Rica, really?
Sounds like a deep, deep conspiracy. Big Gravel is probably behind it.
Closed Thread