Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 11-09-2021, 06:03 PM

Low Bicycles MKiii rim brake

Well about a year and a half ago I stupidly sold my last Low on here and even though the new owner is enjoying the bike, I missed it dearly. This one popped up a bit ago on eBay for a good price and after a bit of swapping and a smoking deal from Ryun on the wheelset I am the proud owner of another Low MKiii. This one is a 60cm vs the 58cm I was on and while I had thought the headtube was a little short on the 58cm after today’s ride the 60cm may be a touch high. This feeling may be my younger self railing at the thought of a taller headtube, because my back had zero issues and I felt like I was riding as fast as I ever had today.

These bikes are shockingly good. I remember the last one feeling the same way and now super happy to have the same feeling on this one. The bike is incredibly stable at speed and feels like it’s blasting uphill when climbing out of the saddle.

The group has to be a little rare rim brake Force AXS which pairs perfectly well with the Chris king Enve 5.6 wheels I scored off Ryun. They spin up fast and feel like they are dragging you forward and faster.

This is a dangerous time for me because quality rim brake bikes in my size keep coming up. I feel like I am providing a home for wayward children. Your 58cm-59cm rim brake bikes are safe with me!!
Old 11-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Looking good! I have a set of those cages on my Serotta.. and now I'm considering swapping them over to my Low after seeing how they look on yours. Sweet bike man.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:40 PM

This bike is the bike I continually gravitate towards all winter long. Such a great riding bike. Seriously underrated brand.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:05 AM
JawnDough

This thing is so nasty. I’ve been looking at Standert lately but growing up on track bikes I’d wanted a Low forever. I used to run into Massan all the time at a local bar in Brooklyn and he only ever had incredible things to say about them. Do you feel like as a taller/bigger dude the aluminum flexes when youre climbing out of the saddle? Thats my biggest worry with AL road frames, that and like, if I were to case it would I fold the bike in half?
Old 04-02-2022, 01:53 PM

Great to hear that you got another one. They really don't popup anymore. Andrew is doing some real cool stuff with alloy. Arguably one of the best handmade alloy bikes you can get.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastcrushr View Post
This thing is so nasty. I’ve been looking at Standert lately but growing up on track bikes I’d wanted a Low forever. I used to run into Massan all the time at a local bar in Brooklyn and he only ever had incredible things to say about them. Do you feel like as a taller/bigger dude the aluminum flexes when youre climbing out of the saddle? Thats my biggest worry with AL road frames, that and like, if I were to case it would I fold the bike in half?
Honestly a buddy and I were talking about this exact thing just the other day. I have a couple of carbon wonder bikes and this is easily stiffer. The bike does not feel much different than my carbon bikes from a comfort perspective, but it just wants to get up and GO. The front end stiffness is unreal, even on the one that was a hair too small for me made me feel the same way.

I’m a big guy, and I would put this up against anything out there.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
PegoNagos

Looks great! Long live rim brakes!
Old 04-04-2022, 10:14 AM

Looks sweet AF. There’s a VNYL out there in my size right now that’s tempting me. Rim brake mech builds are so easy and snazzy after you’ve flubbed with disc a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2022, 12:48 PM

Low's always nice & this one is proof Congrats!
Old 04-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Looks sweet AF. There’s a VNYL out there in my size right now that’s tempting me. Rim brake mech builds are so easy and snazzy after you’ve flubbed with disc a few times.

I keep eyeballing that vinyl too because alloy race bikes are just so good, but I think that one is a couple hundred too expensive. They originally listed it for 2k which I thought was wild for a used one. Clean, if you can get it for $1200, I’ll buy it from you when you’re done with it lol.

That being said, I’ll probably hop into low’s queue for a gravel MK at some point for full retail. Both of these that I have had have just been so good that I can only imagine the gravel would be just as good.

Last edited by quickfeet; 04-04-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Well about a year and a half ago I stupidly sold my last Low on here and even though the new owner is enjoying the bike, I missed it dearly. This one popped up a bit ago on eBay for a good price and after a bit of swapping and a smoking deal from Ryun on the wheelset I am the proud owner of another Low MKiii. This one is a 60cm vs the 58cm I was on and while I had thought the headtube was a little short on the 58cm after today’s ride the 60cm may be a touch high. This feeling may be my younger self railing at the thought of a taller headtube, because my back had zero issues and I felt like I was riding as fast as I ever had today.

These bikes are shockingly good. I remember the last one feeling the same way and now super happy to have the same feeling on this one. The bike is incredibly stable at speed and feels like it’s blasting uphill when climbing out of the saddle.

The group has to be a little rare rim brake Force AXS which pairs perfectly well with the Chris king Enve 5.6 wheels I scored off Ryun. They spin up fast and feel like they are dragging you forward and faster.

This is a dangerous time for me because quality rim brake bikes in my size keep coming up. I feel like I am providing a home for wayward children. Your 58cm-59cm rim brake bikes are safe with me!!
Looks good!
Old 04-05-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

If it's the Clif bar team frame I've seen out there, I bought one from the classifieds about a year ago and love it. Only problem is that mine BARELY clears 25s, and wouldn't ride them in any weather that could muck up the tires...actually had to buy an extra thin carbon derailleur clamp to comfortably clear the tires I wanted to run. I'd love to find a Low or a Standert to add to the collection
Old 04-05-2022, 11:11 PM

low may be the only aluminum bike i keep, besides a '93 cannondale track
Old 04-17-2022, 06:16 PM

Swapped the wheels out for some Bontragers that have FMB tubulars on it for roubaix!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F5627F9-DB52-4BB2-B364-580A2F746954.jpeg (127.4 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpeg 85D401AA-4936-4041-BFA5-594299AA7883.jpeg (131.2 KB, 334 views)
Old 04-17-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Swapped the wheels out for some Bontragers that have FMB tubulars on it for roubaix!

Very nice. Just the right amount of matchy w those bottles..