Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Seems a similar conversation comes around every year the look book is released.

As a new SV owner and to not to be too much of an apologist a few thoughts/observations:

1) The ti bike includes the carbon topper and seat tube, prices quoted above are for all ti bikes - may be more fair to compare mixed material bikes - the SV is still (significantly?) more, but not as much as the numbers above lead one to believe.
2) Prices quoted above do not include paint / finishes. As an example a moots anno job is about $600. I have to assume, the firefly ones are in the same range or more. I have really liked some of the firefly designs, the moots not so much.
3) The SV ti comes with a tapered headtube, PF30 BB and flatmount brakes all of which are extras on the firefly.
4) In terms of a production carbon fork, SV differs the rake depending on the design to get the handling they want. I assume they also vary it for their production bikes by size.
5) I also find it odd that SV charges extra for a frame for heavier people and sprinters. One would hope that a custom frame takes into account hose things, and does not ding people.

Of greater interest to me, and it would likely change my decision to buy a SV again, is that they have added another fitter to the workshop. I wonder how that will change the level of service and types of bikes coming from them. Meeting Sacha and talking to him was part of the allure of product for me.

Last edited by pdonk; 04-22-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 PM

Anyone know why the Lookbook posts this demo/used frame for sale for $3500 OBO:

https://www.speedvagen.com/frame-sets

when a PL'er is selling it for half that here?

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=speedvagen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV for sale.jpg (78.8 KB, 307 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM

Well that’s a bit weird
Old 04-22-2019, 05:10 PM

compared to Baums it is a good price.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
hmmm... never had a chance to try any metal fork on a road bike.
Ah, you young guys; I'm tellin' ya...!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I have nothing against anyone who wants a custom fork, but as someone who owns many custom bikes with stock forks (and builds frames designed around stock forks), I can assure you that it's not anything like a production. Even within a given fork, the builder has a lot of control over fit, handling, and ride quality. When you then consider the options for stock forks, there's a lot of flexibility that goes well beyond production frames.

If you want a custom fork, get a custom fork and you'll probably love it, but if you're avoiding custom bikes with stock forks, you'll miss out on a lot of great bicycles.
"My fitter says my offset is 5.89793 and I need a 116.3 stem with a 54.8TT and 63ST (non sloping frame). I do 5 workouts weekly with Training Peaks and 2 coaches. I've never raced. Ya, I'm ok with a 43mm rake. I'm 6'5"

Last edited by beeatnik; 04-22-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
My fitter says my offset is 5.89793 and I need a 116.3 stem with a 54.8TT and 63ST (non sloping frame). I do 5 workouts weekly with Training Peaks and 2 coaches. I've never raced. Ya, I'm ok with a 43mm rake. I'm 6'5"
And you ride Colnagos, not custom frames.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Colker, my hypothetical (neurotic) rider is slightly more of a freak than I. And, you're right, Colnago makes it a moot point.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Colker, my hypothetical (neurotic) rider is slightly more of a freak than I. And, you're right, Colnago makes it a moot point.
Cycling rationale is 99% fiction when it comes to certain stuff. I am not against it.. on the contrary: truth is boring. Successfull builders like Sacha, Colnago and others.. are good story tellers. No doubt.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I wonder who will be welding? DeSalvo? Dave Levy?

I certainly don't see the value penciling out at +2k vs going straight to the tried and true builders across the globe. Heck take that 2k, get a bike from Crisp/DeRosa/Bixxis, pick it up in and ride around Italy.

But if you gotta have a SV - I'm sure they'll be good bikes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Cycling rationale is 99% fiction when it comes to certain stuff. I am not against it.. on the contrary: truth is boring. Successfull builders like Sacha, Colnago and others.. are good story tellers. No doubt.
But, just to be clear. I think it's so weird to obsess over the minutiae and not care about the fork. I tend not to fixate.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
A lot of ride quality comes from the fork. If i am paying tall prices for a handmade road bicycle, i want a handmade metal fork. I want the full structure to be made at this level. Paint is decoration. Titanium is just a material.
If i have to get an enve carbon fork i may as well buy a production bike.
Yes! Agree wholeheartedly, if I spend $$$ on a nice bike I expect the feel of high quality thin wall steel or Ti and not carbon, first for the fork, where steel is better, and then also for the bulk of the frame. I'm looking to fillet brazed steel or Ti next time around. Ellis would be exquisite. Lyon would be more down to earth.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
5) I also find it odd that SV charges extra for a frame for heavier people and sprinters. One would hope that a custom frame takes into account hose things, and does not ding people.
When I saw this the other day it irritated me. I had been saving up for SV, but now I think I’m going to go in another direction. I’m 6’5” and the LB’s run between 205 and 215 depending on my beer and desert intake.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
When I saw this the other day it irritated me. I had been saving up for SV, but now I think I’m going to go in another direction. I’m 6’5” and the LB’s run between 205 and 215 depending on my beer and desert intake.
So by American standards you are a toothpick.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I am about 205. The "regular" tubing chosen for mine rides really nice. Unless you want a tank, I don't know if there is a need for a bigger downturn and chainstay bridge. Read dave Kirk's take on downtubes and drivetrain stiffness. It's interesting.