Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Ti Speedvagens for 2019

The new guidebook says that you can order a titanium Speedvagen this year. But it will cost you . . . https://www.speedvagen.com/full-custom-ti-2019

I want . . .

My blog and Instagram
Old 04-22-2019, 12:25 PM

They make a great riding bike but their price is always premium.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Barely Hanging On

Based on how they do the other bikes, it seem that the price should be for a complete bike. Nonetheless, the price is somewhat in line with what other "premium" builders get for a frameset with all the "trimmings," such as most expensive finish option, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of how other people are enjoying spending their money.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM

I've always been curious if the price of their steel offerings justifies the price? The paint is always amazing but what I'm wondering is, is the ride quality that much better or on par with the best in the business? Probably a subjective question and a bit of a divergence from the post but I'm curious, nonetheless.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I've always been curious if the price of their steel offerings justifies the price? The paint is always amazing but what I'm wondering is, is the ride quality that much better or on par with the best in the business? Probably a subjective question and a bit of a divergence from the post but I'm curious, nonetheless.
To a point, a bike's a bike.

But they really know and care about fit for every buyer, and the construction and finish work is really great.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
eh, i love mine, but if you asked me if i'd get a speedvagen again if mine were busted... probably not they ride well, but probably not more than an equivalent desalvo, strong, indyfab, english.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM

+1
Thats my take in it as well. If a bike fits you, I doubt anyone can tell the difference in performance/ride quality between a baum, speedvagen, firefly, spectrum from a dean or a strong or a desalvo.

at least this is how i justify saving my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
eh, i love mine, but if you asked me if i'd get a speedvagen again if mine were busted... probably not they ride well, but probably not more than an equivalent desalvo, strong, indyfab, english.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Kinda what I was thinking.

Beyond the fit, I wonder if ride quality of a custom build is more the fault of the customer than the builder. What I mean is that the customer really doesn't know what they want or they just can't adequately communicate this to the builder?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM

you are correct. it could be the customers fault. but my point was that if the any of the builders i listed above builds a bike that the customer likes, i doubt, massive tube manipulations --- swaging, butting, and obviously paint -- will do barely anything to make the bike ride better. in an objectively discernible fashion. and if it does, it is my belief, that the rider will not be able to tell the difference.

i chose swaging, butting etc to make a point because in many cases these techniques with elaborate paint drive up the cost of a baum, speedvagen, and firefly. but i doubt, a customer can tell the difference.

i remember some forumites alleging that they can in the past. well maybe. how can one argue with that in the absence of a controlled study. but i for one, would not be able to tell the difference.

in my mind, one big difference in ride quality despite swaging, butting etc comes from 23c versus 28c tires!

having said all of this, would i want to own a speedvagen, baum etc.
i honestly do not know. i think for me it is a money decision. no surprise here. if i had the money, i probably would buy a porsche gt3. so, yeah. i could see myself buying a speedvagen. but then again, who knows.

one builder i really want to buy a bike from is spectrum. again, no rational reason. i just want to, knowing full well that i could not differentiate a spectrum from a lynskey, same geo, blindfolded. but boy, i wish i were wrong.

and i know the clock is ticking with spectrum.

Quote:
Kinda what I was thinking.

Beyond the fit, I wonder if ride quality of a custom build is more the fault of the customer than the builder. What I mean is that the customer really doesn't know what they want or they just can't adequately communicate this to the builder?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM

A lot of ride quality comes from the fork. If i am paying tall prices for a handmade road bicycle, i want a handmade metal fork. I want the full structure to be made at this level. Paint is decoration. Titanium is just a material.
If i have to get an enve carbon fork i may as well buy a production bike.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:41 PM

hmmm...i have heard that before. never had a chance to try any metal fork on a road bike.

would you prefer a ti fork on a ti bike, or does a steel fork have certain characteristics that ti could not replicate in a fork...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
A lot of ride quality comes from the fork. If i am paying tall prices for a handmade road bicycle, i want a handmade metal fork. I want the full structure to be made at this level. Paint is decoration. Titanium is just a material.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Everything is connected

I understand the SV approach to making and selling bikes and it’s served Sacha et al very well. With Ti, I’m hanging with the proven and experienced builders out there like Strong, Firefly, Holland, Moots, Seven, Ericksen and the HAMPCO crew...that’s a helluva cast of all-stars, with many more that haven’t been mentioned of course.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM

$6900 for Ti Frame/Fork/Paint?

I have no idea what the paint cost is (approx $1000?) but that appears to be a very large premium more than what other builders charge for bare Ti and what I would consider some very nice options.

$4900 FireFly All-Road Ti
$4600 Seven Evergreen SL Ti (Seven does not post frame/fork prices but I backed out what I think the kit/group costs based on my own recent purchase from them)
$4500 Hampsten Il Mostro Ti
$4000 44 Bikes Huntsman Ti (starting price before add-ons such as 44mm HT)
$3200 Carl Strong Gravel Ti (base price, fork not included in price)

I am sure someone else can list a few other well known builders and prices for comparison.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 04-22-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM

i have made these money comparisons before. but really, it really does not matter.

if you want a speedvagen and you have the money, why not! who cares about the cost and whether it is a better bike or not. you want a speedvagen. you have the money. go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
$6900 for Ti Frame/Fork/Paint?

I have no idea what the paint cost is (approx $1000?) but that appears to be a very large premium more than what other builders charge for bare Ti and what I would consider some very nice options.

$4900 FireFly All-Road Ti
$4600 Seven Evergreen SL Ti (Seven does not post frame/fork prices but I backed out what I think the kit/group costs based on my own recent purchase from them)
$4500 Hampsten Il Mostro Ti
$4000 44 Bikes Huntsman Ti (starting price before add-ons such as 44mm HT)
$3200 Carl Strong Gravel Ti (base price, fork not included in price)

I am sure someone else can list a few other well known builders and prices for comparison.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I have nothing against anyone who wants a custom fork, but as someone who owns many custom bikes with stock forks (and builds frames designed around stock forks), I can assure you that it's not anything like a production. Even within a given fork, the builder has a lot of control over fit, handling, and ride quality. When you then consider the options for stock forks, there's a lot of flexibility that goes well beyond production frames.

If you want a custom fork, get a custom fork and you'll probably love it, but if you're avoiding custom bikes with stock forks, you'll miss out on a lot of great bicycles.