Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM

mechanical or electronic group in the rain

I'm curious what others have experienced when it comes to riding in the rain with regard to groupo durability and long term performance?

Do you prefer mechanical or electronic and within each category which manufacturer/product line (e.g. dura ace v. ulegra, etc.) tolerates moisture best?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I'm curious what others have experienced when it comes to riding in the rain with regard to groupo durability and long term performance?
my rain bike has mechanical friction shifting. long term performance - no problems

Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM

I have one Di2 bike. Doesn't get ridden in the rain (by choice anyway) or in the winter. Doesn't have fenders either...
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM

I'm just dipping my toes in the world of electronic shifting, so I'm not probably the best expert. However, this being the internet, let me tell you my opinion.

I think a properly maintained mechanical system is the way to go for a bike that will see much rain. Electronic systems are inherently more complex, with fewer ways that the end user can detect and prevent problems on the road. Batteries, electrical components, and connections can fail pretty much without warning when there's water involved. The manufacturers have done a pretty good job of sealing things up and making them robust, but they are not simple devices and many of the components are down low in the spray.

Cables? They give you an indication of their condition and you can often feel it as they degrade.

Mechanical derailleurs are cheaper to replace, and there are several grades from the different manufacturers. Same with shifters for the most part. Chances are, your LBS has all of the parts in stock to rebuild whatever goes wrong with your mechanical drivetrain. Electronic? Maybe, but again we're talking top-tier components here, which is a lot of money to have tied up on the shelf.

My travel Moots is getting eTap, because of configuration options and packing simplicity (It's also my first true 11 speed drivetrain). If it wasn't for the elimination of derailleur cables, I probably wouldn't have gone with electronic, and I doubt my "regular" bikes will change over in the next decade if I can still get chains (I have a lot of mechanical ten speed parts). The travel Moots will see a lot of use, so it's not like the eTap will be sitting in a case all of the time.

I like things simple, but in this specific case complex was actually more simple.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM

I ride all my bikes in the rain, but prefer cleaning the eTap bikes. Fewer cables make it easier to get into the nooks and crannies with a rag. Functionally, they all work fine when wet.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:07 PM

I have been running DI2 on my bikes since July 2009. I have never had a weather related issue.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Water??
If I had any doubts I probably wouldn't go electric.

But I have no doubts
Old 04-16-2019, 02:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

I don't think it matters, both work fine in the rain. I never had a single problem with my etap, or my mech, in any condition.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:33 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Looks like a problem for a single speed.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Regarding water compromising electronics on a bike...bikes aren't exposed to the high water pressure. Blinky/flashing lights on your bikes are fine and those have a simple gasket.

Something more complex would be the bearings in your wheels and bottom brackets. Those that are sealed are fine in the rain for many thousands of miles.

Water/weather shouldn't be an issue on electronic systems. That level of technology has existed in "our" industry for many years.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:42 PM

Too much wet time on my eTap bike and it's never missed a shift. Not once.

dave
Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 PM

I live in California, so my rain bike is just my least-favorite bike, because it rarely gets used.

If I lived in a place where it rained a lot, and I was building up a bike specifically for that purpose, I would go with electronic and not think twice about it. Road grime is tough on shift cables. Even if you diligently keep your bike clean, performance can still degrade over the course of a ride. Better to just eliminate the problem entirely and go with electronic shifting.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM

...so the feedback on electronic is largely consistent with my experience.

I had a 10spd di2 ultegra set-up that I rode the hell out of in all weather and never had a problem with it.

Like Mr. Kirk I've used my etap in the rain (road bike) and mud (gravel bike) and had no issues. However, I find that mechanical tends to get fouled up pretty easy from the grit and crap that finds its way into/onto cables and housing. The mechanical still works but its not as crisp until I replace the cables after a couple rides in the rain.

thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Isn't the majority of the pro cyclocross field running electronic drive trains? Not dealing with mucked up cables seems to be one of the advantages of electric groups.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I live in California, so my rain bike is just my least-favorite bike, because it rarely gets used.
Well, we must live in different places

This year I had more rainy rides than the last 3 years combined. One 300k with the first 5 hours in full rain, temps rising from 34 to 39, showers afterwards. Another 200k with non-stop rain, fast descents where the raindrops really hurt your face. My front and tail lights died after this one. Then many other brevets with 50% of the time raining or wet roads. I have also done a 1200k where it rained for the first 20 hours.

So, for randonneuring use I would not choose a bike with an electronic group if there is significant chance of rain. When stuff inside a "waterproof" bag gets wet, you know the electronics are not staying dry. If you don't ride in these conditions, an occasional sprinkle will not be an issue.