https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICk3aID5xLs

He's currently ahead of the record 36mins in @ 55.15 Km/h
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Classics Fan

The commentary....
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Look like he set a new WR !
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM

He smashed it! Beat Wiggo by about two laps! Absolutely incredible.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM

I'd definitely need more than x2 cool-down laps before calmly being interviewed after that effort.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
He smashed it! Beat Wiggo by about two laps! Absolutely incredible.
Given your significant experience racing, i'm sure you understand what actually happened here

yes, a new record was set, but this was essentially an aero-assisted ride. Whatever he loses due to low O2 pressure is more than compensated by the much lower aerodynamic resistance at altitude.

Just like how the current holder for the 4K individual pursuit didn't even medal at World's, b/c he set that record at altitude (the same track)

Last edited by echappist; 04-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Haha, he just told his fanclub he's paying for free beer all-night for them at their pub during the WR ceremony. Solid dude.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Just like how the current holder for the 4K individual pursuit didn't even medal at World's, b/c he set that record at altitude (the same track)
Lambie was a full 10 seconds slower than his world record at track worlds. Do you attribute all of that to the location? In your opinion, where is he among the best in an apples to apples comparison?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Given your significant experience racing, i'm sure you understand what actually happened here

yes, a new record was set, but this was essentially an aero-assisted ride. Whatever he loses due to low O2 pressure is more than compensated by the much lower aerodynamic resistance at altitude.

Yup, and I think that's fine and that there's no way around that.

The same way that trying to win a major race is an attempt in season-long logistics (training, hiring support riders, staff, a team's whole infrastructure), the Hour Record is an attempt that is a lot of physiology and a little bit of basic science. A talented rider seems optimal gear and conditions. That's what setting records is all about!

Hell, even Wiggins' record - while not on the fastest track - was done in a closed velodrome while closely monitoring the air pressure to ensure fast conditions. Hell, i even read that the audience was forbade from getting up to go to the bathroom during the event, to not disturb the air. If Wiggins wanted to go faster he should have gone to Aguas. Instead, he wanted to do it in front of a home crowd.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Lambie was a full 10 seconds slower than his world record at track worlds. Do you attribute all of that to the location? In your opinion, where is he among the best in an apples to apples comparison?
i'm not sure, to be honest; just that his IP record at Aguas Caliente was "assisted"

also, he was only 5-6 seconds slower in qualifying

Quote:
Yup, and I think that's fine and that there's no way around that.

The same way that trying to win a major race is an attempt in season-long logistics (training, hiring support riders, staff, a team's whole infrastructure), the Hour Record is an attempt that is a lot of physiology and a little bit of basic science. A talented rider seems optimal gear and conditions. That's what setting records is all about!

Hell, even Wiggins' record - while not on the fastest track - was done in a closed velodrome while closely monitoring the air pressure to ensure fast conditions. Hell, i even read that the audience was forbade from getting up to go to the bathroom during the event, to not disturb the air. If Wiggins wanted to go faster he should have gone to Aguas. Instead, he wanted to do it in front of a home crowd.
good points

personally I think they should designate a few different sea-level places and be done with it; but that may be overly simplistic

wonder if Wiggo regret not putting it out of reach by doing it at altitude
Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
personally I think they should designate a few different sea-level places and be done with it; but that may be overly simplistic

I think that people want an event where the rules don't change, so that there's the notion of a consistent benchmark. And that's understandable.

But there's no way to eliminate all the variables (if there were places designated - what happens a few decades down the line if one of them is demolished for whatever reason? what happens if the sport's demographics change? what happens when somebody asks "why can't i set a fast-bike-riding record in the fastest place to ride a bike?")

and even if we did eliminate all the variables, what we'd be left with is head-to-head indoor climate-controlled stationary wattbike challenges. and that ain't bike racing. that ain't the beauty of bike racing. flat tires sure do suck, but Caley Fretz was right about the beautiful spectacle of Wout van Aert's ride at Roubaix.

i don't think Wiggins regrets it - I think he wanted to set the record, not hold it forever. There was probably more value to him setting it at home than holding it for longer. He didn't go as fast as he could have - but setting the record and lifting his bike over his head in front of essentially a home crowd? It was a beautiful spectacle.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:

Quote:
I think that people want an event where the rules don't change, so that there's the notion of a consistent benchmark. And that's understandable.

But there's no way to eliminate all the variables (if there were places designated - what happens a few decades down the line if one of them is demolished for whatever reason? what happens if the sport's demographics change? what happens when somebody asks "why can't i set a fast-bike-riding record in the fastest place to ride a bike?")
They have rules on all sorts of things related to position on the bike, like "The maximum inclination of each elbow rest (measured on the support surface of the arm) is 15 degrees" and yet the most significant resistance a rider faces is air resistance. It is a mockery that there are no standards for temperature, humidity or pressure.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Darn... my english is super broken and I couldnt stand the dude!

Either way... good for the new champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The commentary....
Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Very cool - his put down a real number for sure.

dave
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It is a mockery that there are no standards for temperature, humidity or pressure.
Restrictions on equipment are everywhere. Are there other sports that regulate temperature, humidity, and air pressure? (Wetsuit legal triathlons under X water temp, maybe?)