Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 PM

Gravel bikes

In our Sales Meeting (read 9hrs of hell on Skype) We are looking at adding an Alloy Gravel Bike to our range......

So enlighten me and what do you want for a gravel bike, price, spec, colours etc etc

I can feed it back and they won't listen but I've tried
Old 04-15-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
In our Sales Meeting (read 9hrs of hell on Skype) We are looking at adding an Alloy Gravel Bike to our range......

So enlighten me and what do you want for a gravel bike, price, spec, colours etc etc

Steel frame and fork, cantilevers, 1" threadless, flat-crown, 31.8 DT, 28.6 TT, 68mm BSA BB. Front rack mount. Three bottle cages and bento-box braze-ons. Pump peg. Nitto R14 rack braze-ons on the seat-stays.

You won't sell many, but dang if it wouldn't be cool
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM

fender mounts, real fender mounts that aren’t add-on widgets.

lower stack/reach ratios

Instagram
Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM

clearance for 27.5x2.2" or I'm not even looking.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
clearance for 27.5x2.2" or I'm not even looking.
This is what I'm seeing from my customers as well. Bigger meats. The racers seem to want "road" handling, the non-racers want more relaxed stuff -- longer front-centers and more trail.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:

The Jedi you seek is named 'Guitar Ted'
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM

A lower, slacker cx bike. Light and stiff with tight clearances. Big fat tyres are pointless, I'll use my MTB for that, and have more fun at the time. Hidden mudguard mounts and all internal cables for sure. Would also use for winter road work. The Trek Checkpoint is a bike that appeals to me. Also the Pinnacle Arkose. Frame only option a must. Full carbon fork. Alloy or Carbon frame, steel is too heavy and looks mismatched/messy with disc brakes, cables all over the place. The best disc brake bikes these days are all internal/integrated. An anodized frame could be lighter or more durable? That would appeal. UK based by the way.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Steel, clear at least a 42, carbon fork, hydraulic disc, 1X, and mechanical drivetrain.

Like this, made in Murica. https://www.chumbausa.com/new-produc...-steel-bicycle
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM

An alloy version of the Open UP, with short chainstays and road geometry, would be great (with the addition of fender mounts)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:

I consider myself a connaisseur of high end bicycles, i own classic Cinellis, Casatis, i've shunned Colnagos, owned Vamoots and i ride a Pego. There were times when Campagnolo Record wasn't good enough. I'm a bike snob.

If you put my back against a wall, i'd be forced to admit the 1500.- 105-equipped Alloy gravel bike is the most allround capable bike of all in my garage. If i was reduced to own just one bike for riding, that would be it.

Points to pay attention:
- the budget ones are no lightweights, mine is 9,5kg, a bit much. If you want lighter, be prepared to spend money.
- some gravel bikes have a bit of an un-racelike geometry. If you care about that, make sure to testride before buy
- as usual, a good tire makes half the riding experience
- i wouldn't buy anything in that bike class without hydraulic discs

Last edited by martl; 04-15-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM

If you make something that's more "monstercross", every single customer is going to say they want something more like a fat tire road bike. If you make a fat tire road bike, everyone is going to say they want something more monstercross.

The important thing is that no customer ever wanted the tire clearance a frame offers. They all want more. They all want less.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 PM

ive been messing around with tire sizes lately. i like the 35-43mm in a 700c and more toward the 43 if space allows. Ive been riding my karate monkey quiet a bit lately set up ss and quite honestly have been loving it. running 29x2.35 mezcals. on the hard pack it doesnt' give up much speed and rolls through the soft and rutted sections much better.

personally im digging the 44/32 WI subcompact crank with an 11/32 rear.

the two bikes im riding right now are the canti Black mountain Monster cross geared and Karate monkey ss w jones bars but soon to be cowchippers.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Something for tall people who aren't all leg, or weigh 400 lbs: ~62cm top tube, ~72.5° STA, head tube < 230mm and not made out of the heaviest, deadest tubing found would be very welcome.

Alas, you'd probably sell only one.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 PM

This^^^

This!
Knock off most of what an Open does and add fender mounts.
Don't need 72.5 degree seat angle.
Stack could be 1-2cm taller for most riders.
420mm stays.
~70mm bb drop.
room for 700x42mm or 650bX2.1.
71 degree head angle/50mm rake fork.
(Actually Open geometry works great for me, but I think I am an outlier. My Open fits perfect with a setback post, 120mm stem and 5mm of spacers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
An alloy version of the Open UP, with short chainstays and road geometry, would be great (with the addition of fender mounts)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 PM

Fat tire road bike

I’m thinking a Trek Emonda ALR with room for 40’s.

I have a Trek Crockett that will take 40’s, Pretty light I ride it with 30’s everywhere. I have a pile of bikes and this is the go to right now. My sense is Aluminum today is way better than a few years back. I think it is about 85% of the performance of carbon for half the money. I think there is a big opportunity for a gravel bike that is fast and light but takes fatter tires.