Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 PM

Dropped an e-bike today on a climb

Certainly an ego boost, perhaps he just had a fading battery, but it sure felt good. Was on a stretch of 5-7% rollers, chugged up behind him riding fixed, he yelled out "you can't pass me!" as I rolled by, he pinned the "gas" and stayed behind me for about 200 yards while I buried it, he finally dropped back pedaling hard, but with waning juice. Good stuff.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Awesome!! Congrats!! Always fun and rewarding to pass a capable rider that is using non-human power.

I once had a guy on a moped pull up next to me at a stop light and said 'I'll race ya!'. I just looked over and smiled a little then focused on the light. The moment the green light started to illuminate, I was off...got the holeshot off the line and didn't look back back until I was 2 blocks down the road and close to 35mph. He was easily a half a block back and falling further behind. He turned off about 8 blocks later.

I continued on my ride and I saw him on my way back home about 2 hrs later...he didn't think a bike could go that fast and he was happy we didn't race for pink slips or else he would be walking home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 PM

e-bikes are such a mixed bag. a friend with a physical limitation uses it as an assist (but still pedals as hard as he can). on the other hand, i got passed going up a slight uphill by a family (mom, dad & their teen kid) just sitting there doing nothing but holding the grip. not even pedaling. then they turned off into a state park. i had to wonder, what's the point? might as well have driven to the parking lot. i shouted to the dad, jokingly, as he rolled by, "aww come on man, you're cheating!" he laughed, said, "i know....i know..."

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-13-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:14 AM

e-bike riders are so weird.

here's my story and I'm sticking to it

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...lbs-49516.html
Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 AM

for those old enough to remember what the term is, e-bikes are the modern version of a "moped."

if you've lived in nyc, you know what e-bikes have done for food delivery.

the video game frogger comes to mind when attempting to walk or cross street during prime dinner delivery hours.

it's bonkers!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 AM

I dropped nobody today... everybody passes me like nothing, even trikes
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 AM

I'm in phase of life that I don't give a ****, passing or getting past. I just do my ride, enjoy the fresh air and go home. Biking is my zen...
Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
for those old enough to remember what the term is, e-bikes are the modern version of a "moped."

if you've lived in nyc, you know what e-bikes have done for food delivery.

the video game frogger comes to mind when attempting to walk or cross street during prime dinner delivery hours.

it's bonkers!
yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p6020542.jpg (108.3 KB, 329 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
This is hardly the same

as this
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 AM

I'll take the Puch.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
This is hardly the same

as this
'Powered' bicycles..the same just different..
Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 AM
slower than you

Better get used to them, they aint going away. But those electric scooters sure are stealing their thunder.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Certainly an ego boost, perhaps he just had a fading battery, but it sure felt good. Was on a stretch of 5-7% rollers, chugged up behind him riding fixed, he yelled out "you can't pass me!" as I rolled by, he pinned the "gas" and stayed behind me for about 200 yards while I buried it, he finally dropped back pedaling hard, but with waning juice. Good stuff.
You're a true legend in the making!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzQiJQiXMAhttp://
Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
e-bike riders are so weird.

here's my story and I'm sticking to it

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...lbs-49516.html
Quote:
Highland Park in LA is an interesting neighborhood. Seventy to seventy-fiver percent of the residents are lower SES Mexican-Americans (Chicano and immigrant). Over the last 10 years it's become one of the hottest, if not the hottest, real estate and nightlife markets in Los Angeles. Think the Mission in San Francisco. Anyhoo, when the demographics began to shift about 10 years ago one of the two major thoroughfares which crisscross the community was put on a road diet. Four lanes were reduced to two and bike lanes were added in both directions. The old timers HATE the bike lanes. A few days ago I was riding to The Best Bike-Themed Cafe in Los Angeles, taking the lane as I was averaging 30mph. I was allowing about a car length between myself and the car ahead when suddenly I felt crowded from behind. I decide to move back to the bike lane where I intended to reduce my speed by 10mph. As I'm about to move over, I realize that the BMW 328i behind me is about to pass me ON THE INSIDE. This guy was going to use half the lane and most of the bike lane to pass in order to leapfrog a car length. The dangers of road diets, man.
I hate it so much when cars try to pass on the outside using the bike lane. It's always a fancy car too.

My favorite is when they do it a couple hundred yard short of a red light, with traffic. So 5 seconds later I'm infront of them again.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:33 AM

I've struggled to pass people on pedal-assist Citi Bikes who were barely pedaling and sitting bolt upright. I'm talking about 18 mph on city streets.

But I just heard that Citi Bike is pulling all their e-bikes off the road due to reports of people getting flipped over the handlebars when braking too hard.

https://www.citibikenyc.com/blog/ser...l-assist-bikes

Quote:
Since Citi Bike first deployed pedal-assist bikes last year, riders have taken hundreds of thousands of rides and shared with us incredibly helpful and overwhelmingly positive feedback.

However, we recently received a small number of reports from riders who experienced stronger than expected braking force on the front wheel. Out of an abundance of caution, we are proactively removing the pedal-assist bikes from service for the time being. We know this is disappointing to the many people who love the current experience — but reliability and safety come first.

We have been hard at work on a new pedal-assist bike, and are excited to bring that to you soon. The new bike model will be accessible just by scanning a QR code and overall will be more fun to ride. In the meantime, we will quickly replace the pedal-assist bikes with classic pedal bikes.

Thank you for being a member of our community.