Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM

The best bicycle to ride is the one your feet are on top of the pedals.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Get a Spectrum before they close the books
Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 AM

Here’s my priorities (in order) for a group ride bike:

1) good bottle cages (no bottle launching weight weenies allowed)
2) decent braking
3) functional drivetrain used correctly(no chain droppers, missed shifts)
4) no delicate proprietary crap that will break in the middle of nowhere
5) decent tires

6) bike that fits
7) bike that you can hold a line on easily
8) proper gearing for terrain
(end of list)
fancy wheels
high zoot frameset.

(non-see thru shorts would be 1b if we extend to wardrobe)

Basically, this is my way of saying any sensible road bike that won’t let you or your ride mates down will do. Then it’s about the rider.

Of your list, I honestly think all of them would be fine. Get the one that fits you, your fancy, and your budget. Assuming sensibilities first, reducing aero drag is the number one thing that makes a bike fast, and the biggest factor there is hiding behind someone else . Then, body position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 04:41 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcolombiano View Post
The best bicycle to ride is the one your feet are on top of the pedals.
yep. No need to act as if one racing bike was a Ferrari Enzo, the other one was a Subaru STI and the third a F150.
Fun fact 1: Each and every racing bike can be what you want it to be,
and fun fact 2: you are the engine, and mostly the chassis, too.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Need the geometry of an endurance frame for a proper fit but looking for bike for fast group rides.
Quote:
Just like to hear about real world evaluations rather than magazine reviews.
Easy..Merckx MXLeader..
Old 04-13-2019, 08:55 AM
formerly Landshark_98

the one that fits best will be the best one. When your contact points are set up right and the bike is balanced underneath you then the rest is largely irrelevant, including weight. Any big box bike like the ones you mentioned should have the rest of the bases covered, assuming they aren't doing some stupid cable routing that screws things up or hanging crappy parts on the bike.

If you don't have your position dialed then I second Joostx recommendation - get your name in Tom's cue and get a bike that fits and is balanced and built to do what you want.

I can't overemphasize how important fit and balance is. I have a cross bike that weighs just under 23 pounds but the fit and balance is perfect. It is more than up for the task for any ride on the road
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=endurance
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
the one that fits best will be the best one. When your contact points are set up right and the bike is balanced underneath you then the rest is largely irrelevant, including weight. Any big box bike like the ones you mentioned should have the rest of the bases covered, assuming they aren't doing some stupid cable routing that screws things up or hanging crappy parts on the bike.

If you don't have your position dialed then I second Joostx recommendation - get your name in Tom's cue and get a bike that fits and is balanced and built to do what you want.

I can't overemphasize how important fit and balance is. I have a cross bike that weighs just under 23 pounds but the fit and balance is perfect. It is more than up for the task for any ride on the road
This should have been the 1st and last response. Perfect.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've had a couple endurance road bikes now. Sorta...

First was a Roubaix. 08/09? Rode like a magic carpet, but the HT was WAY too long for me.

Then there was a Boone. Yeah, it was a CX race bike, but the thing rode so nicely, I stuck road wheels on it and rode it all the time. I'd still have it if it was a disc frame.

Then there was a Cervelo. That was a shop demo. Owner ordered it a size big. Didn't fit right so I left it at the shop when I quit.

They all had upsides and downsides. The Cervelo was probably the 'raciest' of the 3, with the Roubaix on the 'most upright' end and the Boone in the middle.

IME it all comes down to fit. Get the fit right and everything else falls into place.

M
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM

It's all about fit... you should be checking out the Roubaix and Domane too although I have to admit the more complex shock absorbing features of both of these frames in the latest iterations make them a little harder for me to consider as the complexity is so high.

Also consider why you are looking at these bikes from a fit standpoint. These bikes are really about two things. 1) Different frame features to try and make the bike more comfortable on longer rides and/or rougher roads. 2) Alternative geometry compared to the manufacturers more classic frame.

The frame features are straightforward, the fit is less so, consider which of these two reasons matches up with why you are looking at these bikes:

- You have more average proportions but want relatively high handlebars, level with the saddle, etc..
- You are longer legged/armed with less torso and are looking at these bikes for a racier fit and these bikes will work better because they are closer to what a custom bike would be.

E.x. I have a Domane for reason 2, long legs/arms with a shorter torso. I have a +7 stem on mine and still have about 6cm of drop right now. The shorter TT on these bikes gets my shoulder angles under better control even though I'm still running a decent amount of drop.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 AM
That guy..

I have a Cervelo C3. Really happy with it.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
It's a Trek Domane from 2017 I think. Has rear elastomer but no front stuff. No Di2, no discs, 28mm tires and a Specialized CG-R seatpost. Probably 5K miles on the factory wheels without ever having to touch a spoke wrench. I have owned a zillion.2 bikes in the last 15 years. It does everything just right for me. Comfy, responsive and...wait for it...vertically compliant.
Trek is "boring". I rode one of these a couple years ago and was blown away as well. If I could've gotten one in the Team Geometry, I would have. It was indeed the "best" N=1 for a road oriented person a couple years ago.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It's all about fit... you should be checking out the Roubaix and Domane too although I have to admit the more complex shock absorbing features of both of these frames in the latest iterations make them a little harder for me to consider as the complexity is so high.

Also consider why you are looking at these bikes from a fit standpoint. These bikes are really about two things. 1) Different frame features to try and make the bike more comfortable on longer rides and/or rougher roads. 2) Alternative geometry compared to the manufacturers more classic frame.

The frame features are straightforward, the fit is less so, consider which of these two reasons matches up with why you are looking at these bikes:

- You have more average proportions but want relatively high handlebars, level with the saddle, etc..
- You are longer legged/armed with less torso and are looking at these bikes for a racier fit and these bikes will work better because they are closer to what a custom bike would be.

E.x. I have a Domane for reason 2, long legs/arms with a shorter torso. I have a +7 stem on mine and still have about 6cm of drop right now. The shorter TT on these bikes gets my shoulder angles under better control even though I'm still running a decent amount of drop.
The Domane at least is pretty simple: coupla pivots and a coupla bearings. Flex accounts for the rest

M
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 AM

It's really disappointing that high end frames with slightly relaxed fit only come in disc brake now.

Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace being two that come to mind along with those mentioned by OP.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
It's really disappointing that high end frames with slightly relaxed fit only come in disc brake now.

Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace being two that come to mind along with those mentioned by OP.
If you are only considering major manufacturers then well that ship has sailed like it or not.

If you have the scratch for one of their "high end" offerings than you are in luck because there are still plenty of builders and smaller companies new and old who will make you just what you want.

Fear no brakes, disc or otherwise.

Tags
broccoli