Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Trying to find a good fishing rod for touring was difficult, I can't tour and carry a long poles while doing so due to space. I used for some time a 4 piece fly rod by Fenwick FF with some numbers I don't recall and it didn't pack down small enough but it was functional, and the sensitivity was somewhat lacking, then it broke while I was touring last year; then I tried supposedly a very highly rated and reviewed Kastking Soloscoptic telescopic rod last year, this thing was worse in sensitivity then the Fenwick which for $99 I thought it would be better plus it only went down to 20", though it was sort of a cool set up though because you don't have to undo the line or the reel to take down the rod, so I sent that one back; now I'm trying a Redington Classic Trout 8' 6 piece fly rod, still not real high in the sensitivity department but much better than the old Fenwick, which makes sense since the old Fenwick was fiberglass and the Redington is graphite. The Redington came with a rod tube but I use an old cloth bag I had from the Fenwick, but due to space and weight I leave the tube at home and keep it in the cloth bag when touring. I thought about trying the G Loomis but at $360 and a fair chance of damaging the rod while touring I passed. I also love St Croix rods but their pack packing rods didn't break down short enough for my purpose on the bike, but I use them when I'm not fishing from the bike. I thought about trying the Tankara telescopic because it's extremely light, requires no reel which would save more weight and space, and it gets very high reviews, but the cost of the rod put me off, but in the back of my mind I have a hankering to want to get one someday, probably when I retire and start some serious touring.

I decided some time ago when I was credit card touring, (now I do nothing but loaded touring) that a fly system was the best way to go, the reel lies flat with no large arms sticking up and no bail wire to bend, and I can carry 200 flies in the space I would need for 6 or 8 lures! So the fly system overall takes up less space, and if you wet fly fish there is no need to carry floatant.

The one thing that irks me about the US is why they haven't come up with a national fishing license for those who are retired and/or travel, I hate having to find some place to get a license in every state I go into on my bike just to fish, especially when I retire and will go into more states, so if I can't find an excluded area to stealth fish I just don't fish unless I'm in Indiana where I have a license for.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
ok I'll bite ....whaaaat is going on here? lol!
That's my job (although that's a stock pic from the folks that made my boat). As my wife says, I fish for a living. I run the State Fish Consumption Advisory Program. (most my time is spent pounding on a computer)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Anyone here tried Tenkara? It's a form of minimalist fly fishing with a telescoping pole that is very well suited for travel and quick stops. My whole kit packs down in a tube that's about the size of a rolled up newspaper.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
That's my job (although that's a stock pic from the folks that made my boat). As my wife says, I fish for a living. I run the State Fish Consumption Advisory Program. (most my time is spent pounding on a computer)
Very cool, looks like an awesome job!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Minimalist fishing at it’s finest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
Anyone here tried Tenkara? It's a form of minimalist fly fishing with a telescoping pole that is very well suited for travel and quick stops. My whole kit packs down in a tube that's about the size of a rolled up newspaper.
Even though my ottrott is pictured here
I love riding up Spearfish canyon with the
Tenkara rod and it’s fixed length line
Tied to the top tube of “my fixie”
To catch brown and rainbow trout!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A33238A2-39EF-4DC7-986D-9162EB1C3896.jpg (153.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 9FBC7539-7FAF-43CB-BDEE-E74D24B5640C.jpg (139.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM

Tankara has a new telescopic rod, which takes up very little space and looks promising, but I don't know anyone who's used it, and my only experience with a telescopic was not promising but the Tankara is different and might be better.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM

bump for ideas:

Planning a fall trip to upper MI to fish and ride...

Can anyone rec a tenkara rod? Quite a wormhole out there...I like the idea of the pack down size but where to start.

Now on to the route planning
Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
Can anyone rec a tenkara rod?
Nope, I can’t. You can find plenty of fly rods that will pack down to size.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 PM

http://delawaresurffishing.s3.amazon...-with-rods.jpg
Old 08-23-2019, 12:47 AM

On a serious note, I have the Paptasco river a short 10 minute hike behind my house. The fishing sucks even when DNR stocks trout. I prefer to walk along the stream and look for micro life in the hope it improves... One can dream. I do enjoy looking for little critters...

For fishing, I go big and go Chesapeake Bay - Bike need not apply. It is either a 38' boat made for the bay or I don't fish. Lucky to have a father in law who is salt of the earth and a fisherman among fishermen.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
bump for ideas:

Planning a fall trip to upper MI to fish and ride...

Can anyone rec a tenkara rod? Quite a wormhole out there...I like the idea of the pack down size but where to start.

Now on to the route planning
@zlin I have a tenkara rod (Tenkara Teton package) and NEVER use it.
I'd sell it to you cheap. Think you're in nyc?

I found a designed for travel fly rod packs down equally as small and adding the reel doesnt really add much at all to the packing bulk, and doesn't really take much more time to set up when you get to water. But it's so much more versatile.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I found a designed for travel fly rod packs down equally as small and adding the reel doesnt really add much at all to the packing bulk, and doesn't really take much more time to set up when you get to water. But it's so much more versatile.

Agreed.

I was lucky enough to receive a Hardy Demon Smuggler travel rod, along with a vintage Hardy Featherweight reel. 4 wt/8 feet. Birthday gift.

Great kids, for sure.

The rod is a six piece and it all fits inside a 19" tube. I carry a small Simms pack with the reel and small fly box.

I haven't touched my Tenkara since I received the Hardy. Makes a very nice loaner though.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 PM

My Tenkara setup packs down to just a few ounces and is easily strapped under the top tube.

I go for the smaller streams and little pools and with a 10' full flex rod. Even if I hook up a creek chub it is still an exciting time and a 12+ inch rainbow is a real party.

I'm not a great angler, but standing in the creek pretending is still pretty fun!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:39 AM

Had a great day out fishing with my father on saturday. We were in a favorite area of mine, very wild and unique - and all wild no stocked fish. We both landed several nice trout, plus a few that got away. Great christening for his new rod - a 3 wt Orvis.
20200425-DSCF8602.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

20200425-IMG_6396.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

20200425-IMG_6393.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

20200425-DSCF8594.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

20200425-DSCF8587.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr
Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 AM

Also a question. Anyone have experience good or bad with a folding / collapsible net? I want something that I'll be able to take on my bike so a typical net just won't work. I'm looking at the Handy-Pak Net right now.

https://www.handypaknetco.com/