Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM

I had a McD's hamburger the other day, for the first time in about 15 years. I had a taste for one, but it didn't leave me feeling the best.

I also tried one of the Beyond Meat burgers the other day too. Dear lord, it was the worst tasting, smelling thing ever.

So I'm torn, maybe I'll try this.

I actually have a taste for a White Castle burger (or 5)...so we'll see!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 AM

This is less about your health and more about the planet's health. If you are concerned about your own health, dont order anything from mcdonalds.

But for folks who are gonna eat there anyway, McdonaLDS having to raise and slaughter less cows is a good thing for everyone.

again, this is not about you, its about the planet.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
This is less about your health and more about the planet's health. If you are concerned about your own health, dont order anything from mcdonalds.

But for folks who are gonna eat there anyway, McdonaLDS having to raise and slaughter less cows is a good thing for everyone.

again, this is not about you, its about the planet.
Insect protein is the way to go if one is concerned about the world’s health.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Insect protein is the way to go if one is concerned about the world’s health.
or a whole host of other foods, mostly legumes and vegetables.
but yes, insect protein is one of them.
Yes, i eat meat, generally grown myself or by a neighbor in very small amounts, and not often.

Yes, we have a meat eating problem here. Yes, we also have a fast food problem here.
I didnt even know burger king was still a thing
Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Gotcha.

Quote:
I was writing about the Impossible burger. I interviewed for their director of BD a while back and couldn’t get my head around the technology being acceptable. Beyond burgers are pretty good.

Excerpt from Impossible Burgers website:
HOW IT’S MADE
We started by using the heme-containing protein from the roots of soy plants. It’s called soy leghemoglobin. We took the DNA from soy plants and inserted it into a genetically engineered yeast....
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I was writing about the Impossible burger. I interviewed for their director of BD a while back and couldn’t get my head around the technology being acceptable.
I'd love to hear why you're skeptical about the tech that goes into the Impossible burger. It's the only fake-burger that I actually like and the fact that BK might be selling whoppers with the impossible burger at less than $5 gets me excited. I eat a few a week at $9/ burger and I'd eat a hell of a lot more at $3-$4.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM
commuter racer

I would totally buy that.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
or a whole host of other foods, mostly legumes and vegetables.
but yes, insect protein is one of them.
Yes, i eat meat, generally grown myself or by a neighbor in very small amounts, and not often.

Yes, we have a meat eating problem here. Yes, we also have a fast food problem here.
I didnt even know burger king was still a thing
Insect has less of impact than legume protein and is better protein in general.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I'd love to hear why you're skeptical about the tech that goes into the Impossible burger. It's the only fake-burger that I actually like and the fact that BK might be selling whoppers with the impossible burger at less than $5 gets me excited. I eat a few a week at $9/ burger and I'd eat a hell of a lot more at $3-$4.
The tech is fine the value prop I disagreed with. There is nothing that makes this thing more healthy other than it’s not meat. Also, I viewed it as a high cost product. There is a strong stance against gmo in the food supply and this is basically gmo yeast with soybean genes squirting out fake blood to make hamburgers.

For B2B it is great cause it solves lots of handling issues.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I would agree 100%.
Though many legumes are also soil builders and regenerative when planted properly, and not when we are mowing down forests to plant soy. I use legumes a lot in my gardens, sometimes just to build up soil nutrition.

There are other beans, they are easy to grow, they have been a staple of the meso-american diet forever.

I have dabbled with crickets protein, but i prefer my chickens eat the bugs and ill eat their eggs.

we just need to do away with the idea of an ever expanding economy so folks can stay home and grow/eat better food and ride bikes more without worrying about producing goods which will be tossed in the garbage, inefficiently, or never consumed. if we ever choose to measure the waste of our economy, i wonder if it would still indicate profit and growth?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 AM

I think when I first saw this story the headline was "Burger King to serve whopper with 0% meat" or something like that, and I thought that they finally did it: they filled the burger with so much filler that it doesn't even contain meat any more!

I've had many an impossible burger and think the taste is fine, but the texture is still off. Plus as bad as McD's burgers might be, my stomach is probably worse at handling Impossible Burgers so Raygunner's point might be moot.

Quote:
I had a McD's hamburger the other day, for the first time in about 15 years. I had a taste for one, but it didn't leave me feeling the best.
Nevertheless, glad to see BK trying this out. I agree that the appeal of a whopper isn't really the burger itself, but rather all the toppings. I'm very curious how it does in St. Louis, which is their test market...
Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Knowing about your legit expertise, I'd like to hear why this is. And FWIW, I've eaten my share of insects, as a mostly vegetarian one of the more challenging lifestyle adaptations during my first months in Peace Corps/Africa was limited access to fresh produce over most months of the year. Non-animal proteins other than peanuts were pretty much non-existent, but there were caterpillars, grasshoppers and termites that were actually pretty tasty when prepared well once I got over the fear-factor thing (ie hungry enough at first, then got used to them). The bugs were certainly more appealing to me than the tough goat meat and olympic racing chickens that were the normal fare.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Knowing about your legit expertise, I'd like to hear why this is.
Sorry, asked and answered.

But, this thread needs some tunes... (this was often in my head during cross races BITD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxw6I-q2g8Y
Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM

I've had Impossible Burgers a couple of times. Personally, I think they're pretty good.

I don't hit fast food much, but if I'm on the road and need to make a quick stop, hell yeah I'll hit BK over whatever-other-terrible-chain for an Impossible Burger.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM

I like black bean burgers. They taste good and don't pretend to be something they're not.