Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Randomhead

I'm always happy and somewhat surprised if I get a Fedex package on time and undamaged. My only dealings with them in a long time was through bikeflights, and it did seem to work. UPS has been better for me, but I have never shipped large items through them. I'm pretty sure the sorting operations of both companies is pretty bad as far as how they handle the packages. I try to pack accordingly, but know that they still might stick a forklift tang through a top tube if they are feeling saucy.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bless View Post
No doubt. This switch is going to kill BikeFlights. If Paceline is upset about this, there are millions of other people too.
per a bikeflights order number dated last night, #574415. millions aint it. but i agree in the general sentiment. i used them to send a bunch of shoes last night, i also used shipbikes to ship a bigger more fragile box last night though, as i don't trust UPS as i trust FedEx.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Only one data point here, but for our deliveries, UPS has one driver who's here everyday, knows us, is careful with out deliveries, and generally tries to take care of us.

FedEx drivers are subcontracted out and we never know who's coming. Days will go by before they pick up a package clearly marked for pickup, with documentation/label clearly visible.

YMMV.

(That doesn't, of course, say anything about handling during transit...)

Last edited by mhespenheide; 04-01-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Trying It

I've used BF for several years now, and have always preferred Fedex shipping to UPS for larger items. Better experience overall for me. Shipped a frameset today, trying it. Quite a bit more expensive shipping was my experience today. Fingers crossed it arrives safely. Box was perfect going out.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Update..I sent a note to BF about how I wasn't thrilled by their choice, beacuse of apersonal experience and experience in general when I owned the shop..Got a really nice, not form letter, personal response from one of the bigwigs at BF..nice...so..I'm gonna stick with them for 2 reasons.

-Great service, including 2 damaged wheelset claims(that fedex refused..strike?-FedEx)
-Nice personal note from Gordon...about better international service, more stable pricing(I just sent a wheelset to SF via BF/UPS..same $ as with FedEx), etc. But a nice note that he didn't have to write..so

BF it is.

BTW-I ship about 100 or so wheelsets per year..have been very happy with BF...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-02-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bless View Post
Prices have been increasing lately, to the point where it's sometimes cheaper to skip BikeFlights altogether and just use USPS or FedEx. Maybe when BikeFlights first started, they made shipping prices low just to bust into the market, and now that they have a userbase they're increasing prices.
Maybe why the switch to UPS..my wheelset $ have been very stable..like I said, about 100 or so wheelsets shipped per year via BF..going direct to FedEx(I have an accout) way more expensive. Same with USPS..more expensive..26 by 26 by 11 8 pound box..2-3 days..

It's a contract with FedEx and now UPS...I doubt they are subsidizing the carrier...But as I said, the $ haven't been increasing IMHO..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 AM

yeah switching to ups is a deal breaker for me on using bike flights based on previous experience with both ups and Fedex. how often does anyone here ship bikes or frames internationally? I think that is a lame excuse to make the change but I do not know their business model or shipping territory. how often are any of us shipping international anyway? just my two cents.

Last edited by alancw3; 04-02-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
yeah switching to ups is a deal breaker for me on using bike flights based on previous experience with both ups and Fedex. how often does anyone ship internationally? I think that is a lame excuse to make the change but I do not know their business mode. and again how many of us are shipping international anyway.
I do fairly regularly...But as I said, for the personal note..YMMV and all that.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 AM

This is one of the very reasons I avoid UPS shipping like the plague. The brokerage fees attached to UPS shipments coming into Canada on average have been almost double other carriers.

And UPS seem to always get any government taxes attached to an item wrong, Canadian GST on bicycle equipment should be 5%, UPS almost always grabs more off the top, 12% and forces you to go back to the government to retrieve their over charge.

I was a big Bikeflights fan and used them regularly unfortunately not any more, nice letter or not, does not put food on my table.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
yeah switching to ups is a deal breaker for me on using bike flights based on previous experience with both ups and Fedex. how often does anyone here ship bikes or frames internationally? I think that is a lame excuse to make the change but I do not know their business model or shipping territory. how often are any of us shipping international anyway? just my two cents.
Yeah but when its needed, IIRC, it was a huge pain. The one time I had to do it, I remember having to wait a really long time for the shipping label to arrive in my inbox. talking many days, but i dont remember exactly. This was probably the main driver to UPS.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 AM

I've used "ShipBikes" before and was had a great experience.

They sent out a box for a bike I purchased on eBay, and it was fabricated to fit great & provided straps, padding, etc. Also included was a prepaid label so the seller just had to pack it up & drop it off.

It looks like they still use FedEx so they it'll be good to compare prices.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Update..I sent a note to BF about how I wasn't thrilled by their choice, beacuse of apersonal experience and experience in general when I owned the shop..Got a really nice, not form letter, personal response from one of the bigwigs at BF..nice...so..I'm gonna stick with them for 2 reasons.

-Great service, including 2 damaged wheelset claims(that fedex refused..strike?-FedEx)
-Nice personal note from Gordon...about better international service, more stable pricing(I just sent a wheelset to SF via BF/UPS..same $ as with FedEx), etc. But a nice note that he didn't have to write..so

BF it is.

BTW-I ship about 100 or so wheelsets per year..have been very happy with BF...
Nice to know. In my experience BF has been THE standard for customer service of anything I've purchased. Insurance claims, tracking a package I accidentally shipped with an old label, emailing my customers on my behalf to smooth out delivery issues, just above and beyond stuff.

I'll try their UPS partnership but agree with most that UPS has been the most disappointing of all carriers I've used.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Just shipped a frame by Fedex from Kansas City to New York city by Fedex..ground for $83. Tightly packed box, and it could not have been 10 pounds. $83 with no signature confirmation or insurance and ground delivery. Can see why they switched.

Prices were pretty amazing while they lasted, but it's easy to see how shipping larger boxes can get pricey as the prices of everything transportation-wise is now more expensive than years past.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM

ugh this is a bummer. I shipped a bike yesterday and while the rate was on par the pickup went from $5 to $16 for each pick up. Have no UPS store near me...looks like it's off to trying ShipBikes
Old 04-05-2019, 02:26 PM

at the very least, you cant make the label same day as you ship, they dont let you anymore. shipbikes was about 20bucks cheaper too