Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Registered (ab)User

I got a flu shot for the first time in my life just this past December. I have been atypically healthy ever since. Not saying correlation=causation, and despite it being April 1st I'm not convinced winter is over, but So Far So Good
:::knocks wood:::
Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I got a flu shot for the first time in my life just this past December. I have been atypically healthy ever since. Not saying correlation=causation, and despite it being April 1st I'm not convinced winter is over, but So Far So Good
:::knocks wood:::
I got one the previous season and was the only one left standing at work while everyone else dropped like flies...not so this season...
Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM

no vaccines here.

first time i'd ever gotten it in 35 years this year.

one daughter got it twice, other got it once. wife and son avoided it somehow.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 PM

I got the flu from our four year old back in Feb. Both of us had the vaccine. However, I think it definitely reduced the severity of it. I was only really sick one day and then was able to function after that.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Not vaccinated for meningitis because it's fairly rare I think and would likely cost a ton of money to do. State already spends millions on prisoner medications that you and I have to pay out of pocket for. But that's another topic and one I may say something I shouldn't.
It's not THAT rare, meningitis vaccinations are required to live in the dorms at most Universities for good reason......
Old 04-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Two wheels good

I'm in a sales job where everyone wants to shake hands and it can often be over a dozen people an hour. This year I've been doing everything I can to discourage that but some people still insist so Purell has been my friend.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I'm in a sales job where everyone wants to shake hands and it can often be over a dozen people an hour. This year I've been doing everything I can to discourage that but some people still insist so Purell has been my friend.
same, but I'm a firm believer of the 'hey i've been coughing a lot and don't want to make you sick' approach.

even if i haven't been coughing lately.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Took me out this year--I did one rush job in January, thought the year was off to a good start, and then got the flu.

It kicked my butt this year--the fever part broke fairly quickly (about a week) but the dry cough/congestion/feel like crap part continued on through a good bit of February. I more or less got back on the many projects mid-February, but it took until last week to feel more or less like myself.

Folks are giving me crap for not getting the flu shot--they are reminding me that I am not of 'that age' where it is good to get them--I never have before.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Folks are giving me crap for not getting the flu shot--they are reminding me that I am not of 'that age' where it is good to get them--I never have before.
The flu shot is recommended for people over 6 months old. Are you younger than that?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:07 PM

yes... since last thursday and yes had flu shot
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 PM

"they" say that a flu shot will help lessen the severity of the flu even if you catch it - can't even imagine how much worse it can get - I'm a reasonably healthy 50yr old man - if I were 80 and frail ...no bueno.... no wonder it's one of the biggest killers in the realm of infectious diseases!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
The flu shot is recommended for people over 6 months old. Are you younger than that?
No...

Two categories (CDC):
"For example, the recombinant influenza vaccine is for people aged 18 years and older, and the adjuvanted and high-dose inactivated vaccines are for people aged 65 years and older."

I'm now in the second category--this is what my older friends were telling me to get.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I got the flu from our four year old back in Feb. Both of us had the vaccine. However, I think it definitely reduced the severity of it. I was only really sick one day and then was able to function after that.
If you were only sick for one day, then you probably didn't have the flu. People have come to refer to any kind of virus as "the flu", but actual influenza is a specific strain(s) of disease. For example, some people refer to "the stomach flu", but there is no actually no such thing.

I've had various types of colds and other viral infections over the years, and some have been worse than others. But I had actual influenza 12 years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It knocked my completely flat and unable to function for a solid week, and then it took another month before I was fully recovered.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
If you were only sick for one day, then you probably didn't have the flu. People have come to refer to any kind of virus as "the flu", but actual influenza is a specific strain(s) of disease. For example, some people refer to "the stomach flu", but there is no actually no such thing.

I've had various types of colds and other viral infections over the years, and some have been worse than others. But I had actual influenza 12 years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It knocked my completely flat and unable to function for a solid week, and then it took another month before I was fully recovered.
No I had the flu, it was confirmed at the doctors office. I was sick more than one day but only had to stay in bed for one. After that, I could at least get around. I had the flu back in '12 without having the shot and oh yeah that kicked my butt.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM

Got flu + pneumonia! Anyone have experience with pneumonia recovery and riding??