Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Spoiler... Women's Race held up at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad??!!

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/belgium-cycling

I don't understand why they held up the leader. She could have won. I think she was robbed. What is your take??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2019, 07:45 PM

They held her up because the men's race on course was going slower and the women's race was going to overtake it.

Why they didn't make the fairly uninteresting men's race neutralize for it I'll never know.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:05 PM

I think the organizers should have let the women continue...so what if they were overtaking the men. All the riders have timing chips unless they change bikes.

I think the organizers ruined the women's race.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/belgium-cycling

I don't understand why they held up the leader. She could have won. I think she was robbed. What is your take??

and I could have been a cat-1

this is a total nothing burger. Races get held up all the time, and it's fair as long as the time gap is preserved and people continue afterwards. The issue here is that the route doubles back on itself many times over, thus making overtaking very easy.

The organizers could have planned things better, but she's not robbed. Hanselmann had a snowball's chance in hell in holding onto her gap. Her gap was minimal, and don't tell me there's any indication that she could have ridden to victory solo, over some 120 kms. She has not made a name for herself by finishing on the podium of any spring classics. To suggest that she could have pulled off a Jacky Durand is beyond preposterous
Old 03-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

this is a total nothing burger. Races get held up all the time, and it's fair as long as the time gap is preserved and people continue afterwards. The issue here is that the route doubles back on itself many times over, thus making overtaking very easy.

The organizers could have planned things better, but she's not robbed. Hanselmann had a snowball's chance in hell in holding onto her gap. Her gap was minimal, and don't tell me there's any indication that she could have ridden to victory solo, over some 120 kms. She has not made a name for herself by finishing on the podium of any spring classics. To suggest that she could have pulled off a Jacky Durand is beyond preposterous
I don't think they preserved the gap. It doesn't make it fair even if she couldn't have kept the gap she had of allowed to continue.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I don't think they preserved the gap. It doesn't make it fair even if she couldn't have kept the gap she had of allowed to continue.
But they did

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/oml...-2019/results/
Old 03-04-2019, 04:48 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I think one thing that may be being overlooked is that I believe the Women's race was MUCH shorter using only a part of the route.

This poor planning allowed this situation to happen. If they had used a longer route for the women and/or thought about the timing of who would be where the organizers could have prevented this.

It just points out that we have not really achieved any parity in cycling yet.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

I think they should start the men and women together..if there is a men's and women's 'Pro' division. BUT OMG, the whiny men would howl if a woman won the whole enchilada
Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

this is a total nothing burger. Races get held up all the time,....

Absolutely. But I guess the headline gets more clicks than " Men's peloton rolls out slowly at start of race".
Old 03-04-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Why they didn't make the fairly uninteresting men's race neutralize for it I'll never know.
I agree with this. If they had told the men their race would be neutralized if she caught them, seems likely the men would have prevented that from happening.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 AM

Flip the script - mens race gets held up because they catch the women. Would you feel the same way?

It isn't fair to suggest that the rider in the break couldn't win (impossible to predict) or that capability to win is the only reason that you should have your opportunity to a unimpeded race protected. "oh she couldn't win anyway so it's no big deal". That's BS.

Further, even if she doesn't win there is value beyond winning. There is sponsor exposure. Hanselmann gets to show some of her abilities with a big ride and even if she falls short, maybe sets up a teammate as help up the road. All things that help her team and increase her competitiveness at contract renewal time. For anything other than A-list riders, that's a big opportunity lost. The animation also contributes to exciting racing which will help with the parity problems in cycling - particularly when juxtaposed next to a meh men's event. So no, not a nothing burger, IMO.

The organizers screwed up with the logistics. IMO, the important question that remains is was the decision for the women to sit up made because that had the lowest overall impact to both events moving forward from that point (which could have been complicated by the different routes), or because the organizers chose to prioritized the men race experience over the women.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:59 AM

I think this whole thing is one of those moments that just looks pretty bad for an organizer. There should have been some plan b, something in place, something done a lot earlier...

cause I don't think neutralizing the men's race is the answer, either. it's not like an amateur race - there's like a half-hour long caravan of vehicles for each race. How do you have a whole race caravan pass another on these roads? How long would that take? How much chaos would you unleash? Absolutely infeasible.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 AM

The womens race winner's average speed was 10% slower than the mens winner's.

Men should have had more of a head start. But stuff happens, races have to stop for train crossings sometimes. The juniors Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne race had to stop after a numbers of riders crashed into the race directors car yesterday.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Oh, and the breakaway rider in the womens race finished 12 minutes down, do you really think she could have won?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Randomhead

she got stopped in the middle of a maximal effort and had to just stand and wait. The result is hardly surprising