Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Well, you would need to do some re-creating to bring back China Creek also, however the Burnaby Velodrome is still a gas!
Yes--where's my time travel machine. Oh wait, I'd still be an old slightly overweight old git...

Youth--wasted on the young.

Last edited by paredown; 02-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I am generally not so attached to bikes (just sold two awesome ones to make space in my house), but I have one that has me attached. I ordered a Speedvagen just weeks before I found out I was becoming a dad and that somehow clinched it for me when I considered selling this bike a few months ago. I am a disc brake guy and the bike is 10yrs old, but I know I would regret selling that bike. It will stay with me for the foreseeable future.

It was fillet brazed entirely by Sacha for a NAHBS, so it is effectively a Vanilla with an ISP and you couldn’t get one of those today...
After reading your post a couple of times, I honestly can't say whether you sold the Speedvagen and regret it, or are planning not to sell it because you know you'll regret it.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM

I sold a custom Hot Tubes cyclocross bike after owning/racing it for 10 years. Regretted selling it even before I handed it over to the buyer.

Bought it back a year later. Happy to have it back in the stable.

Conversely, I sold a custom Condor Cycles road (frame) last year. (My only other custom frame...) Had it built in 1981, rode it for 20 years, then hung it up. Knew I was never going to ride it again but kept it around for a long time...

When I sold it, I had no regrets. Loved the frame, made lots of memories with it. It was time for someone else to enjoy it...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
After reading your post a couple of times, I honestly can't say whether you sold the Speedvagen and regret it, or are planning not to sell it because you know you'll regret it.
Wow, terrible writing is I wasn't clear:

I thought about selling my Vagen, but decided against it, as I know this is one that I would regret selling. I sold other bikes instead.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:59 PM

I wouldn't have sold the RB-1 if I knew my main road bike would be stolen within the year:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aqN74E]

But I think the Bianchi Brava is the one I regret selling more... It had more of a story to it, I rode it more than I ever did the RB-1, and when have you seen another quite like it? I called it the "Italian" RB-2 (Ishiwata tubing, frame built in Japan, Suntour GPX group, and Celeste everything *except* the frame)

I avoid more stories like this by never selling anything, ever...
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I sold a PDM Concorde in a fit of needing rent money.

Still want that one back.

I saw it at Fiesta Is a few years later. The owner after me beat the snot out of it. Scratches, nastiness, etc. I just about cried right there in the pack

M
Not mine however forsale, http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...?f=22&t=394238

Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 AM

I have no room in my house for more than two bikes, so I regret selling almost all of my former rides. This one however is probably the one that keeps my up the latest:

Old 02-06-2019, 06:02 AM

I really only regret selling one bike, a Ten Speed Drive Imports Guerciotti GLX 84, all Super Record. I've had a lot of nice bikes between then and now but that's the one I wish I had back.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 AM

This was by far the best bike I ever sold. Spectrum titanium. Fortunately it's still in the Paceline family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpKlFn4HAM-Spectrum.jpg (86.2 KB, 320 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Lemond Poprad. Sold when I was moving, but shouldn't have. I didn't understand the appeal of fat tires on the road (probably didn't decrease the pressure enough), and never liked canti's or the cheap v-bakes I tried instead. I should have tried different brakes. Also miss the 177.5mm 94mm BCD cranks... It was pretty dialed. I don't regret it a ton, but I do regret it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC6240.jpg (126.0 KB, 288 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM

I haven't hated selling a bike, what I hated was the constant thinking of going back and forth between I wish I hadn't sold to I'm glad I sold it! I sold a Mercian that I ordered new because I never rode it, and I wish I kept it but glad I sold it, just weird.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 AM
VAV

[IMG]DSC04853 by VIAR VAPA, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Ok, this wan't one I sold but a frame the I snapped during a race. I had a frame built for a mountain stage race. Back in 1987 it weighed in at 14lbs, it climbed like a dream and it descended fantastically well. The frame was built with Vitus 980, Red S headset, GEL280 Rims 28H on Record hubs, Simplex Jubilee front & rear mechs, Nadax BB with a Super Record Chainset 41/54 rings (Gipiemme made the 41 ring and you needed to file the top of the spider for the chain to sit) and a Campag alloy block 12-24 six speed. I really wish I had it replicated in 753 as it was just lovely
Old 02-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
My Crumpton. At the time, I didn’t think it was perfect. With time I’ve realized two things. No bike ever will be perfect. The Crumpton came as close as any has. Too late I learned, don’t chase abstractions. Just ride a bike for what it is.
Hit the nail directly on the head!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Wish I still had my first "real" road bike - a blacked out Gunnar Roadie, was sooo sweet with black Ksyriums and black 105 9spd.....