Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Got my first ride in with a Molten Speedwaxed chain. The bike seemed a little loud in the stand, but things were pretty quiet once outside. Shifts were smooth. I couldn't tell much of a difference in the ride, but I'm liking having a clean drive train. Let's see how long it holds up. The cleaning/waxing process was a multi-day affair, but I was waxing a bunch of chains for the bikes I ride the most and also so I could have some waxed chains on standby.
The cleanliness is a big reason I love it. I did three chains yesterday.
It took a couple of hours, but that isn't a couple of hours of me actually doing anything to them, it means total time I left them in the crock pot, plus going out every half hour to take one out and hang it up, throw the next in, etc etc.

And yes, very normal to feel rough in the stand, but they smooth right out after a few minutes of actual riding.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:43 AM

Talking

I'm also a Molten Speed Wax convert. The longest process for me was getting the chains completely cleaned. But once cleaned properly, you don't really have to go through the hassle to get them super clean again. As mentioned above, after the chain is cleaned, the majority of the time is spent waiting, for the wax to melt and get up to temp (approx an hour and a half) and then waiting for the wax to dry (half hour). During that time you can do other things, no need to watch a pot boil. The actual amount of time that you are doing anything is probably half an hour. I don't find waxing the chains a hassle at all, and I quite enjoy the process. First time doing it will definitely take a bit longer, but once you know what to do, it's very easy and quicker to do the next time.
Get a couple of extra chains, get a bigger pot, and wax them at the same time. Then you will have multiple chains ready for your bike, and swap them out when needed. The main reason for me trying wax, is to not have to deal with a dirty chain and indeed this is the best solution imo. No more chain tattoos on your legs, no more dirty fingers if you need to change tires or do any type of maintenance. I do find the drivetrain slightly noisier, but by no means annoying. The bike shifts and runs fine. Have yet to see whether it affects the longevity of drive train components, as I have not ridden enough to tell. But even if it does affect it a bit, for myself, the pros outweighs the cons.

Last edited by huckjai; 04-13-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 AM

The one tip that I will add is to leave the chain in the hot wax long enough that the chain itself comes up to the temperature of the melted wax. This allows liquid wax to penetrate into the chain and also makes it easier to remove excess wax when it comes out of the pot.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckjai View Post
Get a couple of extra chains, get a bigger pot, and wax them at the same time. Then you will have multiple chains ready for your bike, and swap them out when needed.
So, everytime you need to lube your chain, you just change it?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM

sorry if i missed it, but how does drivetrain wear compare when using wax versus lube?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Vendor

Wax is supposed to give much longer drive train life. Once the chain starts to squeak you need to go through the waxing process again. Molten Speedwax says the wax should last 350-400 miles. Which I'm guessing might be optimistic since it's coming from the vendor. If you ride in wet conditions wax might not be the thing for you since the chain will need to be immediately rewaxed. Most of my riding is in dry conditions. So far it's been nice to come back after a ride and just throw the bike back on the hook and still have a shiny chain.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
The wax supposedly lasts around 400 miles. But yes, I swap out the chain around every 250 miles for a pre-waxed chain. Swapping it out is a lot faster and cleaner than relubing a chain.
Then I rewax them all again at the same time when they've all been used. I don't replace it with a new chain each time, if that is what you thought I was doing. I have 3 chains for my bike all waxed at once. Swap them out every 250 miles or so, and then wax them all at once again once the 3rd chain needs to be waxed again. Then repeat the cycle.

Last edited by huckjai; 04-14-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Its so much easier than people make it out to be. Every 400km or so, if I'm just hanging around the house, I take the chain off and throw it in the crockpot. Go back 30 minutes later to give it a stir, take it out 20 minutes after that and hang it. Then basically any time before my next ride I put it back on the bike which takes about 2 minutes.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Its so much easier than people make it out to be. Every 400km or so, if I'm just hanging around the house, I take the chain off and throw it in the crockpot. Go back 30 minutes later to give it a stir, take it out 20 minutes after that and hang it. Then basically any time before my next ride I put it back on the bike which takes about 2 minutes.
my wife would kill me
Old 04-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
my wife would kill me
Haha, get your own crock pot. Definitely wouldn't want to use the same crock pot you cook food with.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:11 PM

I've done the chain wax thing. The cost/benefit is too high for my taste, in part because I am very happy with my current, much easier and very effective system. Unless you're looking at this as some kind of artisanal thing - which is cool if that's your thing - I don't see it.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I've done the chain wax thing. The cost/benefit is too high for my taste, in part because I am very happy with my current, much easier and very effective system. Unless you're looking at this as some kind of artisanal thing - which is cool if that's your thing - I don't see it.
Just curious whats your method?

I have always used just whatever dry lubes I had around. My chain is always black/wet looking...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Totally agree that this isn't for everyone. I have a couple of friends who tried it, and decided it was not worth their hassle. And a few other friends who converted. The ones who decided not to convert have been using Squirt lube, which is a wax based lube. It dries on the chain, and doesn't attract much dirt. Seems to be working great for them.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM

I ride road bikes on clean roads or paved trails. No winter mix....sand, etc. Makes a big difference in how you lube a chain.

Had some NFS product (worked fine)...used it up...and kept the little bottle/applicator. Filled it with bar oil for my chain saw. Before every ride (or 2-3)....run the chain thru my hand with shop paper towel damp with WD40 for cleaner, apply 2-3 drops of oil around chain, and it seems to circulate itself around chain on a ride. (if I apply to each link...make a big mess)

My chains never really get messy, pulleys and chain don't seem to collect dirt or build up, and chains seem to last as long doing this as any other way to lube a chain. Cost about nothing. But I ride on clean roads.

Did the wax thing 40 years ago. No thanks.

Last edited by Ralph; 04-15-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Had some NFS product (worked fine)...used it up...
Wait....What?