Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZsshe1vJLo

oh baby
Old 10-01-2018, 10:24 AM

He really looks like the real deal.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM

I hope he doesn't haunt the Hawks for the next decade, and generally take preseason and Summer League with a grain of salt. Nice handles, but man he looks totally lost on defense.

Hope Trae Young and another lottery pick is worth passing on Doncic.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Nice handles, but man he looks totally lost on defense.
other than those perfectly timed weakside blocks you mean? the one where he stripped the guy on the way down after mistiming his jump was

i didn't watch the whole game, just that highlight real. but c'mon man, how many rookies are good at defence? he's going full court off of rebounds in traffic, hitting cutters in stride, connecting from a good 4 feet beyond the arc, showing a rush hour handle and finishing over length with ease bordering on disdain. in his first game as a pro. enjoy it!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
other than those perfectly timed weakside blocks you mean? the one where he stripped the guy on the way down after mistiming his jump was

i didn't watch the whole game, just that highlight real. but c'mon man, how many rookies are good at defence? he's going full court off of rebounds in traffic, hitting cutters in stride, connecting from a good 4 feet beyond the arc, showing a rush hour handle and finishing over length with ease bordering on disdain. in his first game as a pro. enjoy it!
Sure, against guys who won't be in the league come the start of the season. I get it, they're fun to watch. I put more stock in his Euroleague highlights than 4 minutes in NBA competition. What he's accomplished at his age in the second best league in the planet, it's clear he'll have a long career in the NBA.
But literally the first 30 seconds of the highlight showing him getting totally lost on a switch and doing the Bargiani, just frantically looking around in the paint for someone, anyone in another colored jersey to body up. It's rookie growing pains sure, but I'm not putting too much stock in one preseason game either, fun highlight or no.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Sure, against guys who won't be in the league come the start of the season. I get it, they're fun to watch. I put more stock in his Euroleague highlights than 4 minutes in NBA competition. What he's accomplished at his age in the second best league in the planet, it's clear he'll have a long career in the NBA.
But literally the first 30 seconds of the highlight showing him getting totally lost on a switch and doing the Bargiani, just frantically looking around in the paint for someone, anyone in another colored jersey to body up. It's rookie growing pains sure, but I'm not putting too much stock in one preseason game either, fun highlight or no.

I noticed this too. A lot of rookies are good at defending on ball. Almost all of them have no clue how NBA rotation schemes work for a good few months, which is why I'll give him a pass on this. The handles and vision are next level though - I think he's probably a good early bet for Rookie of the Year, and I would have said that prior to the draft.

I hope Trey Young is good too, but I get the sense that the Hawks are hoping he's Steph 2.0, and I'm not sure there is a Steph 2.0 out there.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
But literally the first 30 seconds of the highlight showing him getting totally lost on a switch and doing the Bargiani, just frantically looking around in the paint for someone, anyone in another colored jersey to body up.
ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
but c'mon man, how many rookies are good at defence?
Quote:
I get it, they're fun to watch.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Given my track record, maybe I shouldn't be making predictions...

But teams actually passed on drafting a guy who outplayed Porzingis as an 18 year old in meaningful basketball?!?

I'd have taken him so fast his head would spin.

As far as Trae Young and Steph Curry...I'm not holding my breath there.

Finally...I still can't believe we passed on Robert Williams for a guy with bad ankles. Even worse, he's a Celtic.

Last edited by Aaron O; 10-01-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM

My boy, Grayson Allen, looked great in his first game, granted it was against the Perth Wildcats, but still. His stroke looked firme!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
My boy, Grayson Allen, looked great in his first game, granted it was against the Perth Wildcats, but still. His stroke looked firme!
People actually claim Grayson Allen?

Yeegads.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
People actually claim Grayson Allen?

Yeegads.
Yeah, I get it, but he's part of the squad now, so, all ill feelings from before have to be re-calibrated...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Yeah, I get it, but he's part of the squad now, so, all ill feelings from before have to be re-calibrated...
Hey, it wouldn't be Utah if they didn't have a preppy white kid shooting 3's.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Hey, it wouldn't be Utah if they didn't have a preppy white kid shooting 3's.
If Mitchell is good with the kid, especially after their history, then he's good with me.

I can only hope he turns into a more athletic Horny!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Given my track record, maybe I shouldn't be making predictions...

But teams actually passed on drafting a guy who outplayed Porzingis as an 18 year old in meaningful basketball?!?

I'd have taken him so fast his head would spin.

As far as Trae Young and Steph Curry...I'm not holding my breath there.

Finally...I still can't believe we passed on Robert Williams for a guy with bad ankles. Even worse, he's a Celtic.
He's got the court vision, the distribution is there. The shooting will come, but yes, Steph 2.0 is wildly optimistic. Legally blind man's Steve Nash? That's not the worst outcome ever. John Collins is super bouncy and Amare Stoudemire Redux (hopefully without the microfracture surgery). I'm more excited for Year 2 of the John Collins experiment than I am Year 1 of Trae Young. If Collins can shoot the 3 regularly and still provide his transition bounce, he's going to be a nightmare Stretch 4.

So we'll see what the Hawks have. Schlenck thinks Young has a higher ceiling than Doncic, which I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment. But Young another Top 10 that they hit on? Man...that changes the calculus a bit. Just have to look at the Hawks draft to see Schlenck is going for Warriors East: Point guard who shoots from everywhere and distributes, a 2 guard shooter with good size, and a flex 5 guy who does all the dirty work and maybe his the occasional corner 3.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 AM

so nice to have nate and danny back in the saddle together. lucy with the football ftw

Last edited by boomforeal; 10-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.