Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Had to replaced my Bon Jon EL 35mm's with the Steilacoom 38's when i had a sidewall blow out.

This tire was made for this bike. Fits so perfectly in the frame, with just enough space between the chainstays! All other gravel tires I've tried so far were either too tight or had too much precious space left over.

Bon Jon's were faster on the road, but I'm thinking that's the EL casing. These are standard casing... you don't feel the knobbies that much... barely.. you hear the wind whistle and you hear them gripping more really.

On the plus side they tear through gravel and dirt really well. Very confidence inspiring. Unlike the BJP's where you chose your lines more carefully in order to float on top of gravel rather than cut in.

That's my first impression anyways... lets see how they hold up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5911.jpg (152.6 KB, 698 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Had to replaced my Bon Jon EL 35mm's with the Steilacoom 38's when i had a sidewall blow out.

This tire was made for this bike. Fits so perfectly in the frame, with just enough space between the chainstays! All other gravel tires I've tried so far were either too tight or had too much precious space left over.

Bon Jon's were faster on the road, but I'm thinking that's the EL casing. These are standard casing... you don't feel the knobbies that much... barely.. you hear the wind whistle and you hear them gripping more really.

On the plus side they tear through gravel and dirt really well. Very confidence inspiring. Unlike the BJP's where you chose your lines more carefully in order to float on top of gravel rather than cut in.

Nice 'Zona bidon

Dope bike !
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Thanks! A little reminder of home. . Heard there’s some great gravel rides outside of Tucson at Reddington pass. On the list along with portions of the AZ trail of course!

Last edited by Duende; 04-23-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 PM

that's one nice bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post

Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
that's one nice bike.
Well seeing your ride, definitely got me on the right path!

Was thinking you might like these Steilacoom tires!

Giving tubeless another go! Realized the not so great experiences I had running sector 28mm tubeless wasn’t a fair measure of the technology.

Last edited by Duende; 04-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 PM

^ Nice bike.

Colour and frame reminds me a little of this baby blue WTUA:-
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFhSIlFoG2/
Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Parlee Chebacco from Clean39. I got this as a placeholder while awaiting my line in a custom cue, but it may be a keeper. Feels great! I'll repeat the gist of my custom post, my 8-year-old calls the bar tape tacky, and I know all the oranges don't quite match, but I have not been shot by hunters yet. Much lighter than the drop bar 29er I've been riding on these roads, but I still struggle to keep up on climbs with my neighbor who I introduced to biking two years ago, he's ten years younger and 20 lbs. lighter than me, I should choose who I introduce to biking more carefully.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 PM

Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 AM

^^^
You can get different than that, but I don't know that you'll get much better than that.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM

This is the worst thread to read through when trying to avoid the temptation to buy a gravel bike.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM

Picked up this checkpoint a couple months ago. Gutted my Trek Crockett and swapped over all components. Wheels arrived the other day to finish the build. Farsports 35 deep, 28 wide clinchers 1363g. I must admit this bike flies on the road, didn't hold me back on the Thursday night group ride. Off-road it's equally as good with bontrager gr1 40c tires mounted and the isospeed. Geometry and handling is spot on. As it sits with 25c tires it comes in at 15.9lbs.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
This is the worst thread to read through when trying to avoid the temptation to buy a gravel bike.
It got me several months ago and I ended up with a great bike from the forum and haven't regretted it yet.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Evil Genius

This is my Routt 45 (Thanks, Billy!) at the Thomasville Georgia Clay Road Classic.

I've gone to 650B WTB Byways to deal with the sand and loose dirt we have on our local roads...highly recommended for the Southeast.

Yes, I know it's the wrong side of the bike for photos. C'est la vie. It's Ultegra Di2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5845.jpg (129.8 KB, 343 views)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Very nice bikes on this thread. I bought a Specialized Diverge several months ago and it has become my primary road and gravel bike. It’s a lot of fun!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I must admit this bike flies on the road, didn't hold me back on the Thursday night group ride. Off-road it's equally as good with bontrager gr1 40c tires mounted and the isospeed.
Shhh! You'll spoil the secret!

I need to glue some tires on my HED wheels for my CX bikes so I can go all disc all the time in the garage

M