Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 03:19 PM

I bought a bunch of bikes last year and sold them soon after. Nice to try a bunch of stuff. Also put in a lot of effort clearing out random parts.

This year I've bought one, having one repainted, and fixing to list one to sell. Not hoarding parts just to have them, outside of a couple of odds and ends to complete a spare groupset.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Same...
I passed on a 55 SL a couple years ago and then picked up an RSL that happened my way. It complements my mellow CR nicely and completes my skinny tire needs.

Now a Compact SL 55... the seller thinks it's a 2008. A unicorn that I totally don't need.
I was looking at CRs in addition to Compacts, although the more endurance-oriented geometry (mostly head tube) was less appealing to me. I've heard that otherwise they are similar to Compacts, and I've not found my Compacts to be "mellow". Planted, confident, and assured while not being hyper-aggressive, but not mellow. I chose a 43 degree rake on the Compact's ENVE fork instead of the 45 Moots suggested, which may make it slightly more responsive, but in all respects I just think it's the most balanced (versatile) road bike I've ever ridden. My travel Moots is coming with (I believe) a 45mm ENVE fork, so I may get a fairly valid A/B comparison. I seriously doubt I'll notice a difference, because my wife tells me all of the time that I'm insensitive.

Yeah, I'm having to go out and shovel snow (freak spring storms) to keep off of eBay and away from that Compact SL. I'd go for a ride, but that wet snow at near-freezing ambient temperatures will kill my back. When I can't ride, I buy. The off-season is dangerous for me...
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
<snip>To be honest, I did walk out of the swap meet with a 27.2 Moots layback cinchpost that I don't really need<snip>
Responsible adulthood just groaned a bit
Old 04-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I bought a bunch of bikes last year and sold them soon after. Nice to try a bunch of stuff. Also put in a lot of effort clearing out random parts.

This year I've bought one, having one repainted, and fixing to list one to sell. Not hoarding parts just to have them, outside of a couple of odds and ends to complete a spare groupset.
I've stopped buying carbon fiber bikes, and now really the only things that turn my head are boutique steel brands and titanium. Clean lines and round tubes. While I fully see the advantages of disc brakes, I have yet to find them on a frame that I really want. Therefore, this buyers market of really cool rim brake bikes is kinda sensory overload for me.

The real problem is that it's a small roadie market in Alaska, and shipping a bike up here is not cheap. Flipping bikes to even break even after you account for shipping is almost impossible for all but a few desirable brands, and even then you're probably taking a loss. So, if I buy a bike to try, I usually chalk up the financial loss as a rental fee.

Groupset components I usually keep multiples of, because I'm still running 10 speed SRAM on most of my bikes. Hard to run down to the LBS and find a new right shifter to match, or the right length derailleur cage. As I pair down the fleet, I'm keeping as much of the nice stuff for myself as possible so I don't have to keep going out there and re-stocking.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Responsible adulthood just groaned a bit
Yeah, but a Moots cinchpost is something I know has semi-stable value, unlike a rim-brake titanium frame. Seems like there's always a demand...
Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Good to read that you are liking the Compact. The CR is balanced and versatile as well, incredibly efficient and comfortable...terrific all around bike.

That SL is haunting me - though I suspect the tire clearance is limited to 25 or so, and that will be how I rationalize passing on it.

Quote:
I was looking at CRs in addition to Compacts, although the more endurance-oriented geometry (mostly head tube) was less appealing to me. I've heard that otherwise they are similar to Compacts, and I've not found my Compacts to be "mellow". Planted, confident, and assured while not being hyper-aggressive, but not mellow. I chose a 43 degree rake on the Compact's ENVE fork instead of the 45 Moots suggested, which may make it slightly more responsive, but in all respects I just think it's the most balanced (versatile) road bike I've ever ridden. My travel Moots is coming with (I believe) a 45mm ENVE fork, so I may get a fairly valid A/B comparison. I seriously doubt I'll notice a difference, because my wife tells me all of the time that I'm insensitive.

Yeah, I'm having to go out and shovel snow (freak spring storms) to keep off of eBay and away from that Compact SL. I'd go for a ride, but that wet snow at near-freezing ambient temperatures will kill my back. When I can't ride, I buy. The off-season is dangerous for me...

Instagram
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So, if I buy a bike to try, I usually chalk up the financial loss as a rental fee.
Same. Win some, lose some. Enjoy the ride..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk