Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 09:32 PM

OT: Adjustable height TV Stand

We don't watch TV much in our house, haven't had cable or TV service for 15 years, just for movies a couple times a month. However, the TV is there in front of the window all the time. I would love to be able to drop it down behind the cabinet when not in use rather than have to look at it.
I have seen motorized mounts, and while they have a certain "neato" factor, I would prefer something where I could just lift it up and down, and have a lift assisted mechanism of some sort. Does anyone know of anything that fits that description or am I just out of luck. It's not that important that I want to throw $$$ at it, but would be nice. Rearranging the room, as well as installing a projector and pull down screen were vetoed, and it's a rental house so major modifications are out as well. My thought was to mount some kind of lift mechanism to the cabinet the TV is on, but Google isn't turning up much at the moment.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 PM

something like this? (sorry, don't recall how to embed video)

https://youtu.be/ULnP5JiNXqI
Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM

That is the idea. I saw that picture, but it uses an electric actuator, along with some other stuff and details are non existent of how it's put together. I picture something like this, but prefer to not have to plug something else in.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
That is the idea. I saw that picture, but it uses an electric actuator, along with some other stuff and details are non existent of how it's put together. I picture something like this, but prefer to not have to plug something else in.
Well, perhaps 19th century tech would help, borrowing from the double hung window. There were two sash weights, one on each side, and a cord connecting the weights and the sash over a pulley on each side. You would have to balance the weights of the tv, the frame in which it was placed, and the counterweights. Also the length of the rise and fall. But conceivably, a pretty easy trial and error process if you have the skills to make the parts. Might be fun.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I would love to be able to drop it down behind the cabinet when not in use rather than have to look at it.
How about if you put it IN the cabinet?

Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 AM
Strong Walker

check out https://www.tvliftcabinet.com/lift-mechanism

pricey tho
Old 04-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
How about if you put it IN the cabinet?

If the TV were smaller this might work, or the room bigger to have a larger cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
All the electric ones I've seen are on the "more than I want to spend"/pricey side, which doesn't make it fiscally practical for how often it is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Well, perhaps 19th century tech would help, borrowing from the double hung window. There were two sash weights, one on each side, and a cord connecting the weights and the sash over a pulley on each side. You would have to balance the weights of the tv, the frame in which it was placed, and the counterweights. Also the length of the rise and fall. But conceivably, a pretty easy trial and error process if you have the skills to make the parts. Might be fun.
This could be an idea to play with this summer once my school year is over. I wonder if a tiered approach would work so I don't have to run the ropes and pulleys up as high as the double hung windows, and could keep them concealed in the cabinet.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Administrator

there are a TON of devices on the market now for stand up desks. both stand alone units and ones you put on an existing desk to raise and lower height. standing up while working is apparently all the rage these days?

anyway, look into a stand up desk device, they have them in many price points with various levels of tech. that should work!

Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM

This only has 18" of travel but it might get somebody thinking of a better idea:
https://www.proxdirect.com/products/...-34-52-T-SAA-C