Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM

ISM saddles

I realize these are more popular with the Tri community but just wondering if anyone here uses one and what their thoughts are?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM

A couple years ago gave it a spin. Felt too wide and if you can relate to that sensation when you steer with your body—no bueno. At the time the thing to do was pinch the front together to get it narrower but I couldn’t be arsed so I moved on after about 6 rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM

What problem you solving

So is there something you are trying to fix? Might be best to share the problem, my guess is numerous folks here have had it and could offer some good advice.

I struggle with that saddle because it looks like a solution looking for a problem.

I’m using the Spesh Power, I’m happy with it, but YMMV

Best

Ray

Last edited by Bentley; 04-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM

I had/have one on my tri bike... but I haven't done a tri in almost 2 years so it hasn't been ridden... summer project to unload it, or strip and unload. I liked the saddle on my tri bike, but never tried it on the road bike.

I talked with forum member C50 (I think) as he worked for ism at the time and was most helpful when I got mine. I believe he is working with someone else now, but is still likely a good resource if you had specific questions.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So is there something you are trying to fix? Might be best to share the problem, my guess is numerous folks here have had it and could offer some good advice.

I struggle with that saddle because it looks like a solution looking for a problem.

I’m using the Spesh Power, I’m happy with it, but YMMV

Best

Ray
I’ve had issues with numbness. Currently riding a Bontrager Montrose. My old favorite saddle was a Specialized Romin Evo but it suddenly became very uncomfortable. I’ve tried the Power saddle a couple of different SMP saddles and the Prologo Dimension. The ISM saddles have always piqued my curiosity but have never tried one.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 PM
D.Bordewisch

ISM some suggestions.

I have sold a lot of ISM in the last 6 years. My story tried one years back on a road bicycle. Wow, it was so wide just would not work. It felt so wide a sat to far off the front. My knees were way froward out past pedal spindle, KNOPS. Just kind of left it as "only for tri". As the riding steep seat angle on a tri would let you sit and let it work. Two years ago thought about giving it another go. It works amazing! I can rotate my pelvis more than ever. Dropped my bars and slammed my stem. Things I would try to make it work:
1) Measure your current saddle to where it is 4" wide. Draw a line. Then measure from that line to the headset cap. Or setback from vertical, which is harder but works the same. Save the number.
2) Record current seat height to top of the saddle. Not to the rails! Save the number
3) Install new ISM without knowing anything about you start with a PN 1.1, least expensive and narrowest.
4) Measure to 4" wide make a mark, use number from above to set the saddle setback. Your current post may not allow but try to get as close as possible.
5) THE MOST IMPORTANT! Drop your saddle height at least 1/2" inch! You are not going to hurt anything by having your saddle low for a bit. In fact it will probably never go as high as before.
6) It will feel like very different. Your taint, scrotum and soft tissue/genitals will all have much less pressure.
7) Your sit bones will be tender or hurt. Just like when you started riding. The weight that was carried by your taint has to go somewhere. In a short time the sit bones become accustomed to carrying the extra weight.
8) Yes, steering will feel a bit different as we do guide with our thighs. However, we acclimate quickly. It is riding a bicycle.
-If you want pictures and a more in depth suggestions send me a message.
-Understand the concept of rotating the pelvis. Pictures of you on a trainer can help.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 PM

I'm also keen to give one a try, but haven't picked one up yet - if someone has one lying around, let me know.

The only saddle that eliminated numbness 100% for me was the crazy Infinity saddle - but it was very painful in other areas!

(tried: spec power, romin, arione, brooks, many SMPs)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
I have sold a lot of ISM in the last 6 years. My story tried one years back on a road bicycle. Wow, it was so wide just would not work. It felt so wide a sat to far off the front. My knees were way froward out past pedal spindle, KNOPS. Just kind of left it as "only for tri". As the riding steep seat angle on a tri would let you sit and let it work. Two years ago thought about giving it another go. It works amazing! I can rotate my pelvis more than ever. Dropped my bars and slammed my stem. Things I would try to make it work:
1) Measure your current saddle to where it is 4" wide. Draw a line. Then measure from that line to the headset cap. Or setback from vertical, which is harder but works the same. Save the number.
2) Record current seat height to top of the saddle. Not to the rails! Save the number
3) Install new ISM without knowing anything about you start with a PN 1.1, least expensive and narrowest.
4) Measure to 4" wide make a mark, use number from above to set the saddle setback. Your current post may not allow but try to get as close as possible.
5) THE MOST IMPORTANT! Drop your saddle height at least 1/2" inch! You are not going to hurt anything by having your saddle low for a bit. In fact it will probably never go as high as before.
6) It will feel like very different. Your taint, scrotum and soft tissue/genitals will all have much less pressure.
7) Your sit bones will be tender or hurt. Just like when you started riding. The weight that was carried by your taint has to go somewhere. In a short time the sit bones become accustomed to carrying the extra weight.
8) Yes, steering will feel a bit different as we do guide with our thighs. However, we acclimate quickly. It is riding a bicycle.
-If you want pictures and a more in depth suggestions send me a message.
-Understand the concept of rotating the pelvis. Pictures of you on a trainer can help.
Great advice.

I've never tried a split saddle on a road bike, but my wife and I both love ISMs on our tt bikes.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:12 AM

I used one for a while, it was only OK. I had it on a road bike that I also used for triathlons until I bought a dedicated tri bike. When I finally measured my sit bones properly it was way too wide for me. On the tri bike now I use a Dash saddle which is narrow but still has a stub nose which is ideal for the forward leaning position in triathlons. For road I now use a Brooks C13 Cambium carved - it's the best saddle I've ever used, comfortable even for the longest days in the saddle.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Yes, my previous position was 'Technical Commander' for ISM but have not been there for a couple of years. I currently work with Selle SMP in a role they created for me. I have to say that of all the jobs in the industry that I have had starting with sweeping floors at the local bike shop as a kid this is my absolute favorite and truly an honor to work for the Schiavon family and all the other people at Selle SMP.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask or if you prefer to send a private message that is fine too and I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability.

Dave
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM

I'm using a Prologo saddle after trying a couple of Selle SMPs. It has a middle split that does the job while the overall feel is better for me than the SMPs.