Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
mentholated

Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Sorry....I indulged in the offtopic of the offtopic. This is a cycling forum so if folks want to talk about burning cathedrals they really should find the appropriate forum so there's that. However just to get back on the topic of this thread, it's amazing this cathedral survived wars and whatever else only to meet this fate but I really don't know how much of it is original to really say that. And to look like the bad guy even further still I can't help but think that the burning of this cathedral is somewhat symbolic, at least in my view recent situations attacking the Catholic faith with playful priest who can't keep their hands to themselves and all that. Flame away....
I was over at the burning catherdral forum but all they were talking about was Paris Roubaix.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Well we don't really know how the fire was set. Maybe it was some disgruntled worshipper? Then again it could of been birds pecking away at some wires or someone carelessly flicking a butt into a trash can...things that make you go hymmm.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I was over at the burning catherdral forum but all they were talking about was Paris Roubaix.
Ha,ha and touche. That made me laugh.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Sorry....I indulged in the offtopic of the offtopic. This is a cycling forum so if folks want to talk about burning cathedrals they really should find the appropriate forum so there's that. However just to get back on the topic of this thread, it's amazing this cathedral survived wars and whatever else only to meet this fate but I really don't know how much of it is original to really say that. And to look like the bad guy even further still I can't help but think that the burning of this cathedral is somewhat symbolic, at least in my view recent situations attacking the Catholic faith with playful priest who can't keep their hands to themselves and all that. Flame away....
A few days ago the panties vs thongs thread was instantly locked.
And this is still open???
Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 PM

They will re-build. It seems that many major parts are intact, the art included. The structure should be OK. The lessons of that building are so strong, and so beautiful on so many levels. Fortunately the fire did not spread off the Ile. Hopefully Sainte-Chapelle and and its amazing glass and reliquary was not affected.

It is sad but not surprising (the vagaries are seemingly very vague) that some of the strange responses here do not match the elegance of the structure or the spirit. Victor Hugo must be crying, but in fact the book will never kill the cathedral, especially that cathedral: they will always co-exist, and it will surely stand again.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 04-15-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
...It is sad but not surprising (the vagaries are seemingly very vague) that some of the strange responses here do not match the elegance of the structure or the spirit. Victor Hugo must be crying, but in fact the book will never kill the cathedral, especially that cathedral: they will always co-exist, and it will surely stand again.

A sad event, and also sad that a few members can't help but flame away and grind their personal axes. This thread is now closed, feel free to start another if you wish. In the meantime, a couple of folks have, and will be getting time outs.

William

Last edited by William; 04-15-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Closed Thread