Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
#RYFB

I quite enjoy riding solo, and up until a few years ago that was my default. Then I had an incidente that resulted in me being a John Doe in the ICU for several hours before some sleuthing by the medical staff resolved my identity. As a result I rarely ride alone now out of consideration for my family (I also wear a RoadID). Mostly it's a few club members and typically 60-70 miles with at least a 100 ft/mi ratio; as Clean said, when the group gets bigger these rides end up taking hours longer than they would solo.

In two weeks, however, I'm riding to San Diego for an annual company event (140 miles each way), so far no luck in trying to recruit partners so looks like it will be solo. I'm looking forward to the solitude.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I quite enjoy riding solo, and up until a few years ago that was my default. Then I had an incidente that resulted in me being a John Doe in the ICU for several hours before some sleuthing by the medical staff resolved my identity. As a result I rarely ride alone now out of consideration for my family (I also wear a RoadID). Mostly it's a few club members and typically 60-70 miles with at least a 100 ft/mi ratio; as Clean said, when the group gets bigger these rides end up taking hours longer than they would solo.
Road ID is a great point, I have one of those two.

Your other point about big rides sometimes adding hours is relevant too.

"What do you mean we need to stop at the 3rd coffee shop in 100 miles for lattes when I'm trying to get home to the family?"

I never stop at foo foo coffee shops on solo rides. Convenience store or gas station food purchases are fine with me.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

My longest solo ride was 250 km. Was not really up for a ride that day, and certainly had not intended to ride that distance but needed to get the miles in. Tried to keep the speed around 30 kph but it kept inching up past 35 kph when not paying attention. Last 50 km linked up some roadies doing speed work, loads of fun. 8:15 to complete the ride.