Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 PM

PSA : Paypal sucks part infinity...

You issue a refund, Paypal keeps the fee.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...-policies-full
Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Riding Along

I am no fan of PayPal, but they are not charging a fee for the refund. They are moving money and that is what they do and charging a fee for that is not crazy. I am sure that they are making money hand over fist and could afford to refund the initial fee and that would be a good customer service gesture, but I doubt that they care enough to do that. PayPal needs some serious competition and then they will care about customers because they will no longer view them as literal cash cows.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 PM

They do refund the percentage fee (e.g. 2.9%) on the amount refunded, whether on a partial refund or a full refund. In either case, however, they keep the fixed transaction fee charged initially. Today when I fully refund a transaction my net cost is limited to the initial transaction fee or $0.30 regardless of transaction size.

Last edited by ryker; 04-03-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Reactivated my Google Pay account today addio PayPal!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am no fan of PayPal, but they are not charging a fee for the refund. They are moving money and that is what they do and charging a fee for that is not crazy. I am sure that they are making money hand over fist and could afford to refund the initial fee and that would be a good customer service gesture, but I doubt that they care enough to do that. PayPal needs some serious competition and then they will care about customers because they will no longer view them as literal cash cows.
PayPal has enough competition in the world at large. The problem is eBay, which does not allow any other payment methods. So, if you want to do eBay, you have to do PayPal.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:47 PM

One day maybe we can use something like blockchain to get rid of these pesky middle men...
Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
PayPal has enough competition in the world at large. The problem is eBay, which does not allow any other payment methods. So, if you want to do eBay, you have to do PayPal.
That’s not true. eBay gives you the option to use a credit card or go through PayPal.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 AM

Dont scare me... did my 1st refund ever today well... lets see how it goes because i refunded the whole ammount, but the transaction was BFF so who knows...
Old 04-04-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
They do refund the percentage fee (e.g. 2.9%) on the amount refunded, whether on a partial refund or a full refund. In either case, however, they keep the fixed transaction fee charged initially. Today when I fully refund a transaction my net cost is limited to the initial transaction fee or $0.30 regardless of transaction size.
Read the entire agreement - it doesn't go into effect until May 7. At that time they will keep the 2.9% and the .30

To all others that might be too preoccupied to click through the link....

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT
We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 7, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country.
We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.
We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Keeping the original percentage on a return is kind of shocking. I had to do a few searches to confirm this is the intent of the wording and it appears to be. It looks like this may be an industry trend ... according to my searches Stripe, a PayPal competitor, has this policy for new accounts. It sounds like Square does not.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM

I generally think PayPal sucks and is like every other bank and entirely in favor of the buyer with zero regard for the merchant. However, I did come out with a fair shake of a dispute with a customer who abandoned their international order because they didn't want to pay taxes on it. I was pretty shocked that I got what was entirely fair and didn't get screwed like I have in the past.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM

I mean what did you expect from a company that was the brainchild of Elon Musk....something about him reminds of Hank Scorpio.

Anyways, it reminds of the evils of Ticketmaster. I was "lucky" enough to win the lottery on being able to buy MLB Playoff lottery tickets for the Divisional Series, Game 4 if it came to that a number of years back for the Twins. This was was despite not being a season ticket holder and being allowed the opportunity to buy playoff tickets at a reasonable price is always a welcome thing. Plus it was the inaugural season in the new stadium at the time.

Well anyways, because my team (Twins) sucks donkey a$$ in the playoffs and almost always draws the Yankees it seems the since the turn of 2000 (who always seems to be their playoff b1tches too). They got swept so my ticket was not good since the game wasn't necessary. Got refunded the price of the tickets but Ticketmaster did not refund their fees. So I ended up getting stuck paying $10 or $20 (I forget the amount as it was over 10 years ago) for freaking pieces of paper tickets to a game that never took place. F Ticketmaster.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:57 PM

So If I received

$3000 via PayPal goods and service and the buyer backs out, and asks for the money back I'll still be paying the fee's if I do a full refund?

Thanks in advance. tim
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM

friend paid me for a wedding present share, said just PayPal friends and family, PayPal then stopped my account I had to justify that this was a personal exchange because I bought the gift we were sharing.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:26 PM

Well yeah, it's basically the interchange fee. Processing a transaction and moving the money around isn't free.